OOC: Ok, coffeerite can see the map now; I've also sent copies to skulgryn and desarud while I figure out this hosting thing.
Khial moves forward (to L9), drawing his bow with a fluid movement and firing an arrow at the hobgoblin. The arrow flies true, but at the last possible moment the hobgoblin raises his shield -- stopping the arrow! The hobgoblin lowers his shield and sneers at the rogue.
The hobgoblin barks orders in the Goblin language to his minions, then walks forward (to E15) in a casual, almost contemptuous manner. Pulling out the longbow from his pack, he loads an arrow, then looses this at Epos: 6.
He is surprised and angered when, without any seeming effort, Epos dodges the arrow. He snarls as he prepares to draw another arrow from his quiver.
OOC: Skulgryn -- you rolled well on the damage rolls? Unfortunately, you shouldn't be rolling advantage for Epos's attacks. An attacker using ranged weapons against melee opponents gets disadvantage on the attack; someone making a melee attack on an opponent with a ranged weapon does NOT get advantage on the attack. In this case, I'll just take your lower rolls.
With surprising speed, the elven monk closes the distance to the hobgoblin; appearing beside the goblinoid, he strikes with his staff and foot, connecting solidly -- with the goblin's chainmail armor!
The hobgoblin snorts in open contempt at your pathetic attacks; he seems to be daring Epos to wipe the smirk off of his face.
Xel struggles to keep his composure. This is first true battle and he hopes not his last. His new companions are brave. He however knows he cannot survive getting hit by the goblins arrows. He'll need to make sure he has a suitable defense before he joins the fray.
Xel grasps his staff and concentrates. He recites the words of the spell he has memorized. The fingers of his off-hand quickly move in precise gestures. "Shield this form from battle's scars. Reflect, deflect, defend from mar." Xel casts Mage Armor on himself.
OOC: Rules Clarification - Just to make sure I still remember stuff:
1) If I attack a creature who is beside an ally - I don't get Advantage unless my ally took the Aid/Help action prior to my attack.
2) Since the Hobgoblin is beside Epos who is threatening him, if Khial shoots him with his bow or engages him in melee and hits him, Khial can deal his Sneak Attack damage.
3) Assuming we know which square a creature is hiding, we can attempt to attack it but with Disadvantage (because it is hidden).
4) If a creature is hiding, if my Passive Perception is high enough, is he revealed at least for my character? Is this determined prior to his attacking since if he is not hidden, the creature does not get advantage on attacks against my character.
5) In terms of determining cover, do I draw a line from the centre of the square I occupy to the centre of the target's square, and if the line intersects any portion of the square containing cover then the target has cover from me and I have cover from the target.