I've got a Gem of Seeing, which automatically gives me 120 ft. Truesight. It's supposed to only give me that when I spend a charge and use the item, so I just unequip it to remove the erroneous Truesight. However, when I unequip it, it also unattunes.
Unequipping an attuned item should leave it attuned. I don't see any reason for the states to be linked.
I think it's tied to the fact that you have to equip an item before you can attune; that is probably the restriction.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Hello! Call me Tana or 타나 My pronouns are Any/All/BOC Disclaimer: Tana__ is not to be held responsible for any of the following events happening as a result of talking to Tana__, touching Tana__, or even just seeing Tana__: The rise of Tiamat, resurrection of Vecna, pissed-of genies, a complete and utter power change in the blood war, or a fate worse than a fate worse than total annihilation. Exist with Tana__ at your own risk.
Have the requirements for attunement changed in 5.5? In 5.0 you had to be in physical contact with the item for the duration of a short rest, but didn't have to equip it. You could, for instance, hold the ring in your hand or wear it on a necklace for the attunement period, and that would qualify to allow you to attune to it.
I'm not talking about the actual rules, I'm talking about in the character builder
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Hello! Call me Tana or 타나 My pronouns are Any/All/BOC Disclaimer: Tana__ is not to be held responsible for any of the following events happening as a result of talking to Tana__, touching Tana__, or even just seeing Tana__: The rise of Tiamat, resurrection of Vecna, pissed-of genies, a complete and utter power change in the blood war, or a fate worse than a fate worse than total annihilation. Exist with Tana__ at your own risk.
I've got a Gem of Seeing, which automatically gives me 120 ft. Truesight. It's supposed to only give me that when I spend a charge and use the item, so I just unequip it to remove the erroneous Truesight. However, when I unequip it, it also unattunes.
Unequipping an attuned item should leave it attuned. I don't see any reason for the states to be linked.
Equipping is not a rules concept, it's a character sheet functionality aspect. Unequipping an item is telling the character sheet "I do not want you to consider this as an item my character is using at any point". That's why unequipping an item unattunes, because you can't simultaneously be telling the sheet "My character is not using this in any way" and "my character is using this".
I've got a Gem of Seeing, which automatically gives me 120 ft. Truesight. It's supposed to only give me that when I spend a charge and use the item, so I just unequip it to remove the erroneous Truesight. However, when I unequip it, it also unattunes.
Unequipping an attuned item should leave it attuned. I don't see any reason for the states to be linked.
I think it's tied to the fact that you have to equip an item before you can attune; that is probably the restriction.
Hello! Call me Tana or 타나
My pronouns are Any/All/BOC
Disclaimer: Tana__ is not to be held responsible for any of the following events happening as a result of talking to Tana__, touching Tana__, or even just seeing Tana__: The rise of Tiamat, resurrection of Vecna, pissed-of genies, a complete and utter power change in the blood war, or a fate worse than a fate worse than total annihilation. Exist with Tana__ at your own risk.
Have the requirements for attunement changed in 5.5? In 5.0 you had to be in physical contact with the item for the duration of a short rest, but didn't have to equip it. You could, for instance, hold the ring in your hand or wear it on a necklace for the attunement period, and that would qualify to allow you to attune to it.
I'm not talking about the actual rules, I'm talking about in the character builder
Hello! Call me Tana or 타나
My pronouns are Any/All/BOC
Disclaimer: Tana__ is not to be held responsible for any of the following events happening as a result of talking to Tana__, touching Tana__, or even just seeing Tana__: The rise of Tiamat, resurrection of Vecna, pissed-of genies, a complete and utter power change in the blood war, or a fate worse than a fate worse than total annihilation. Exist with Tana__ at your own risk.
Equipping is not a rules concept, it's a character sheet functionality aspect. Unequipping an item is telling the character sheet "I do not want you to consider this as an item my character is using at any point". That's why unequipping an item unattunes, because you can't simultaneously be telling the sheet "My character is not using this in any way" and "my character is using this".
Find my D&D Beyond articles here