Okay, i must admit, this Vestige warlock has an heavy "digimon" vibe to it. Like the dude(tte) could get his gatomon/impmon/bakemon at level 3 and have it do its whimpy attacks as a bonus action in addition to whatever the warlock is doing with its main action (essentially a free always online spiritual weapon)... ...and then at level 14 the vestige suddenly turns into angewomon/beelzemon/myotismon for 1 hour and just destroys the battlefield with multiple wave motion cannon attack arrays.
But jokes aside i see 2 single problems:
first is you can summon the vestige in a space you do not know if it is occupied or not and has no "shunting" mechanics for getting out of there if it's stuck.
second is that for some reasons it says you have to choose if your vestige is celestial/undead/fiendish when you get to level 3 and that looks permanent, then a few lines below it just says "Psyke! Nah, you can change it on a long rest" that's... uhm.... okay? i would honestly lock the vestige at level 3, i understand the choice, but the vestige is not (technically) a pet, it is an aspect of a god, saying that this god is "everything and nothing" feels like taking it as a joke.
Okay, i must admit, this Vestige warlock has an heavy "digimon" vibe to it. Like the dude(tte) could get his gatomon/impmon/bakemon at level 3 and have it do its whimpy attacks as a bonus action in addition to whatever the warlock is doing with its main action (essentially a free always online spiritual weapon)... ...and then at level 14 the vestige suddenly turns into angewomon/beelzemon/myotismon for 1 hour and just destroys the battlefield with multiple wave motion cannon attack arrays.
But jokes aside i see 2 single problems:
first is you can summon the vestige in a space you do not know if it is occupied or not and has no "shunting" mechanics for getting out of there if it's stuck.
second is that for some reasons it says you have to choose if your vestige is celestial/undead/fiendish when you get to level 3 and that looks permanent, then a few lines below it just says "Psyke! Nah, you can change it on a long rest" that's... uhm.... okay? i would honestly lock the vestige at level 3, i understand the choice, but the vestige is not (technically) a pet, it is an aspect of a god, saying that this god is "everything and nothing" feels like taking it as a joke.
For #1, it does explicitly say, multiple times, that you can only summon it in an unoccupied space.
For #2, I'd agree it's a little weird to be able to change it after the fact. It's a little less confusing in the physical book where that paragraph isn't separated from the others by the stat block.
apologies i could not see my original message and i only saw your reply today.
Regarding #1 it says you can summon it in an "unoccupied space" the problem is it does not say "that you can see" therefore you can summon it in a space you cannot see. I understand what you mean, and i overlooked it but it is still a problem.
Regareding #2 i do not see how not being separated by the statblock makes it better, since it first says "you cannot change this type choice" and then it says "you can change the type on a short rest".
Regareding #2 i do not see how not being separated by the statblock makes it better, since it first says "you cannot change this type choice" and then it says "you can change the type on a short rest".
It does not say anywhere that you cannot change the type. It says "choose when you gain this feature" and later says that you can choose the form again when you summon it again. As I said, I agree that that could be worded better, but it's pretty clear how it's meant to work.
At Level 9 or 10, the warlock automatically gains Contact Other Plane, so that the warlock can chat with his patron. IF the patron is a Vestige, THEN would not Contact Other Plane fail, because there would be no.patron on that other plane to contact.
At Level 9 or 10, the warlock automatically gains Contact Other Plane, so that the warlock can chat with his patron. IF the patron is a Vestige, THEN would not Contact Other Plane fail, because there would be no.patron on that other plane to contact.
Despite the name, Contact Other Plane communicates with an entity from another plane; it doesn't say the entity has to be on another plane at that moment. So even if someone insists on being that nitpicky about it, it's technically fine.
Despite the name, Contact Other Plane communicates with an entity from another plane; it doesn't say the entity has to be on another plane at that moment. So even if someone insists on being that nitpicky about it, it's technically fine.
Of course, the question is "Why would I cast contact other plane when he's right over there?"
Funny enough, I have a 2014 Warlock who, storywise, has his patron as his familiar (the story being a soul-bound celestial manifesting in that way, no mechanical benefit).
When I saw this update to Warlock, it amused me because I pictured it being used.
Warlock: "Hey, I've got a few questions."
Patron: "... Okay? You don't need the spell for that, I'm in the next room, you idiot."
Funny enough, I have a 2014 Warlock who, storywise, has his patron as his familiar (the story being a soul-bound celestial manifesting in that way, no mechanical benefit).
When I saw this update to Warlock, it amused me because I pictured it being used.
Warlock: "Hey, I've got a few questions."
Patron: "... Okay? You don't need the spell for that, I'm in the next room, you idiot."
Excellent point!
Almost like a comment from the Discworld book, "Small Gods" or from the book "The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld".
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Okay, i must admit, this Vestige warlock has an heavy "digimon" vibe to it.
Like the dude(tte) could get his gatomon/impmon/bakemon at level 3 and have it do its whimpy attacks as a bonus action in addition to whatever the warlock is doing with its main action (essentially a free always online spiritual weapon)...
...and then at level 14 the vestige suddenly turns into angewomon/beelzemon/myotismon for 1 hour and just destroys the battlefield with multiple wave motion cannon attack arrays.
But jokes aside i see 2 single problems:
For #1, it does explicitly say, multiple times, that you can only summon it in an unoccupied space.
For #2, I'd agree it's a little weird to be able to change it after the fact. It's a little less confusing in the physical book where that paragraph isn't separated from the others by the stat block.
pronouns: he/she/they
apologies i could not see my original message and i only saw your reply today.
Regarding #1 it says you can summon it in an "unoccupied space" the problem is it does not say "that you can see" therefore you can summon it in a space you cannot see. I understand what you mean, and i overlooked it but it is still a problem.
Regareding #2 i do not see how not being separated by the statblock makes it better, since it first says "you cannot change this type choice" and then it says "you can change the type on a short rest".
It does not say anywhere that you cannot change the type. It says "choose when you gain this feature" and later says that you can choose the form again when you summon it again. As I said, I agree that that could be worded better, but it's pretty clear how it's meant to work.
pronouns: he/she/they
At Level 9 or 10, the warlock automatically gains Contact Other Plane, so that the warlock can chat with his patron. IF the patron is a Vestige, THEN would not Contact Other Plane fail, because there would be no.patron on that other plane to contact.
Despite the name, Contact Other Plane communicates with an entity from another plane; it doesn't say the entity has to be on another plane at that moment. So even if someone insists on being that nitpicky about it, it's technically fine.
pronouns: he/she/they
Of course, the question is "Why would I cast contact other plane when he's right over there?"
Funny enough, I have a 2014 Warlock who, storywise, has his patron as his familiar (the story being a soul-bound celestial manifesting in that way, no mechanical benefit).
When I saw this update to Warlock, it amused me because I pictured it being used.
Warlock: "Hey, I've got a few questions."
Patron: "... Okay? You don't need the spell for that, I'm in the next room, you idiot."
Excellent point!
Almost like a comment from the Discworld book, "Small Gods" or from the book "The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld".