Sooo Im having trouble driving up interest in my home-brew D&D campaign.... Due to competition with other campaigns. Any ideas for getting people interested in playing?
Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
I have traversed all the outer planes- I have traversed all the inner planes- now I travel to the land of earth to ride an airplane.
-They/Them Pronouns-
If you need lore, spells, heaps of information, come my way!!
If you want, you could allow homebrew characters and advertise that, or try and do it at a library or local spot where you could put up flyers. You could also try online if your local area is just DnD'd out.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
She/Her/Hers DM
Member of the Cult of Grammar and the Cult of Cats
FÍrar off, it is incredibly hard to get people to join a campaign if they are already in one or more. D&D is a pretty big time commitment, and players are going to generally choose the game they are in and the groups they are familiar with rather than finding something new. If that is the kind of competition you are facing, you’re already in an uphill battle and one that is extremely difficult to win.
Now, if your competition referenced involves players actively seeking groups and choosing others over yours, the problem is likely your campaign pitch. I have some thoughts on how to pitch a campaign, but, before I give those, I think it would be helpful if you share your current campaign pitch to identify potential problems.
Sooo Im having trouble driving up interest in my home-brew D&D campaign.... Due to competition with other campaigns. Any ideas for getting people interested in playing?
My experience is that starting up a new campaign in an existing gaming group is about waiting for an existing campaign to fold or go on hiatus (freeing up a time slot) and then pitching your concept as a replacement. Things that help convince people include a good pitch, proposing something consistent with what the players seem like they want, and people's confidence in your DMing ability. The last is typically something you acquire by running one-shots and guest DM sessions.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Sooo Im having trouble driving up interest in my home-brew D&D campaign.... Due to competition with other campaigns. Any ideas for getting people interested in playing?
Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
I have traversed all the outer planes- I have traversed all the inner planes- now I travel to the land of earth to ride an airplane.
-They/Them Pronouns-
If you need lore, spells, heaps of information, come my way!!
If you want, you could allow homebrew characters and advertise that, or try and do it at a library or local spot where you could put up flyers. You could also try online if your local area is just DnD'd out.
She/Her/Hers DM
Member of the Cult of Grammar and the Cult of Cats
FÍrar off, it is incredibly hard to get people to join a campaign if they are already in one or more. D&D is a pretty big time commitment, and players are going to generally choose the game they are in and the groups they are familiar with rather than finding something new. If that is the kind of competition you are facing, you’re already in an uphill battle and one that is extremely difficult to win.
Now, if your competition referenced involves players actively seeking groups and choosing others over yours, the problem is likely your campaign pitch. I have some thoughts on how to pitch a campaign, but, before I give those, I think it would be helpful if you share your current campaign pitch to identify potential problems.
My experience is that starting up a new campaign in an existing gaming group is about waiting for an existing campaign to fold or go on hiatus (freeing up a time slot) and then pitching your concept as a replacement. Things that help convince people include a good pitch, proposing something consistent with what the players seem like they want, and people's confidence in your DMing ability. The last is typically something you acquire by running one-shots and guest DM sessions.