Honestly, constantly casting the attack cantrips seems totally appropriate. I would never object to caster doing that. It's the same as a fighter constantly swinging his weapon.
But consider a player that constant casts the following cantrips outside of combat:
Resistance, Blade Ward, Prestidigitation, etc.
That is behavior that I will ensure has consequences.
Honestly, constantly casting the attack cantrips seems totally appropriate. I would never object to caster doing that. It's the same as a fighter constantly swinging his weapon.
But consider a player that constant casts the following cantrips outside of combat:
Resistance, Blade Ward, Prestidigitation, etc.
That is behavior that I will ensure has consequences.
Prestidigitation would be the one I can think of doing constantly. Clean clothes, warm/cool flavored drinks, faint soundtrack that seems like a win for me.
Honestly, constantly casting the attack cantrips seems totally appropriate. I would never object to caster doing that. It's the same as a fighter constantly swinging his weapon.
But consider a player that constant casts the following cantrips outside of combat:
Resistance, Blade Ward, Prestidigitation, etc.
That is behavior that I will ensure has consequences.
Really?
You are going to ensure consequences for players using their cantrips RAW? Resistance, guidance use your concentration, blade word sucks and only last 1round. And prestidigitation? What, are they cleaning or flavoring things so much that it is breaking your game?
I wouldn't let people say "I'm continuously casting X every round all the time", or even every minute, but there are lots of non-spell actions I also wouldn't let people spam.
Using a cantrip is the equivalent of juggling knives. Nothing wrong with it if you stop in the middle of the subway and do it on the platform. I might even give you a dollar.
But if I saw the same person doing that while waiting in line at a store, ordering a drink at the bar, etc. I would call the police and ask the management to get the psychotic lunatic OUT of the store.
Oh, and yes bladeward sucks. So badly that the only time to cast it is if you do not happen to be doing anything else. Like, for example, you decide to do it constantly to protect against ambushes. Kind of thing a newbie might think of. But I would have that guy hassled by everyone in a city and totally ruin stealth for the party if he is doing it while walking in the forest.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Honestly, constantly casting the attack cantrips seems totally appropriate. I would never object to caster doing that. It's the same as a fighter constantly swinging his weapon.
But consider a player that constant casts the following cantrips outside of combat:
Resistance, Blade Ward, Prestidigitation, etc.
That is behavior that I will ensure has consequences.
Prestidigitation would be the one I can think of doing constantly. Clean clothes, warm/cool flavored drinks, faint soundtrack that seems like a win for me.
Really?
You are going to ensure consequences for players using their cantrips RAW?
Resistance, guidance use your concentration, blade word sucks and only last 1round.
And prestidigitation? What, are they cleaning or flavoring things so much that it is breaking your game?
I wouldn't let people say "I'm continuously casting X every round all the time", or even every minute, but there are lots of non-spell actions I also wouldn't let people spam.
Using a cantrip is the equivalent of juggling knives. Nothing wrong with it if you stop in the middle of the subway and do it on the platform. I might even give you a dollar.
But if I saw the same person doing that while waiting in line at a store, ordering a drink at the bar, etc. I would call the police and ask the management to get the psychotic lunatic OUT of the store.
Oh, and yes bladeward sucks. So badly that the only time to cast it is if you do not happen to be doing anything else. Like, for example, you decide to do it constantly to protect against ambushes. Kind of thing a newbie might think of. But I would have that guy hassled by everyone in a city and totally ruin stealth for the party if he is doing it while walking in the forest.