Welcome back. My first recommendation is to resist the urge to buy a bunch of stuff that you won't use. There are loads of materials for free, including the Basic Rules on this very site, which gives you all you need to play.
My second recommendation is to use the Looking for Group forum here to find a new group to play with or use the official Discord.
My third recommendation is to just have fun! You'll learn as you go.
Edit: Holy smokes, I just found this Find a Group page, where they show you local gaming shops that host games and online play via Startplaying.com. That's pretty neat.
Edit: Holy smokes, I just found this Find a Group page, where they show you local gaming shops that host games and online play via Startplaying.com. That's pretty neat.
It was only added a couple of months back after being announced at GenCon. It's still pretty new and obviously depends on game stores to register but it's definitely got potential.
As for OP's question: welcome back. Erik's suggestions are all solid but I'll add in check local libraries as a lot of them run D&D clubs or just act as local hubs for gossip and social clubs. The other option is trickier but you could try forming your own gaming group, you just need to find three friends willing to try and hope one of you is willing to DM. It's how I started and we're all still playing 6 years later
To the above I’ll add, forget everything you remember about the game, 20 years is somewhere between 2 and 4 editions ago, depending on how you count. Almost all the rules have changed, and pretty drastically. The basic formula of roll a d20 and hope for a high number remains, but beyond that, it’s an almost completely different game.
I had an almost identical experience four years ago. I did buy the 2014 books then, a couple of adventures, and got started. It's easy to learn if you know older editions.
The new 2024 books are a mixed bag, some like them, others not at all. I personally prefer the 2014 edition. If I had any advice, check for alternatives. The new Forgotten Realms books are really expensive, and that's still the default setting. 300 $ for rulebooks and setting to get started is a bit much for my liking https://speedtest.vet/https://vidmate.bid/ .
Tales of the Valiant is pretty solid and has a nice setting with Midgard.
Also great is taking the Eberron setting with the 2014 books.
Advanced 5e is another variant but a bit more crunchy.
All of the above have free versions to get a first glimpse. Have a look before you decide - guess that's the advice I would have liked to hear four years ago.
The new 2024 books are a mixed bag, some like them, others not at all. I personally prefer the 2014 edition. If I had any advice, check for alternatives. The new Forgotten Realms books are really expensive, and that's still the default setting. 300 $ for rulebooks and setting to get started is a bit much for my liking.
Just as a counterpoint to this, it is worth pointing out that 2014/5e is no longer the latest edition, and there will not be any new official content published for it. If you're new to modern D&D, the best place to start is probably the latest edition, not an older one.
It's also worth pointing out that the 5.5e core rulebooks do not cost $300 and there is no need to spend that much money on it, especially if you're just playing and not DMing.
So I have been out of the game for 20 years after dealing with some really toxic people, and i really missed it.
Any tips and tricks to get back in the ring, as I have made a Tiefling Druid
Welcome back. My first recommendation is to resist the urge to buy a bunch of stuff that you won't use. There are loads of materials for free, including the Basic Rules on this very site, which gives you all you need to play.
My second recommendation is to use the Looking for Group forum here to find a new group to play with or use the official Discord.
My third recommendation is to just have fun! You'll learn as you go.
Edit: Holy smokes, I just found this Find a Group page, where they show you local gaming shops that host games and online play via Startplaying.com. That's pretty neat.
DM mostly, Player occasionally | Session 0 form | He/Him/They/Them
EXTENDED SIGNATURE!
Doctor/Published Scholar/Science and Healthcare Advocate/Critter/Trekkie/Gandalf with a Glock
Try DDB free: Free Rules (2024), premade PCs, adventures, one shots, encounters, SC, homebrew, more
Answers: physical books, purchases, and subbing.
Check out my life-changing
i might play 2 sessions, 1 local and online seems interesting too
It was only added a couple of months back after being announced at GenCon. It's still pretty new and obviously depends on game stores to register but it's definitely got potential.
As for OP's question: welcome back. Erik's suggestions are all solid but I'll add in check local libraries as a lot of them run D&D clubs or just act as local hubs for gossip and social clubs. The other option is trickier but you could try forming your own gaming group, you just need to find three friends willing to try and hope one of you is willing to DM. It's how I started and we're all still playing 6 years later
Welcome back.
To the above I’ll add, forget everything you remember about the game, 20 years is somewhere between 2 and 4 editions ago, depending on how you count. Almost all the rules have changed, and pretty drastically. The basic formula of roll a d20 and hope for a high number remains, but beyond that, it’s an almost completely different game.
I had an almost identical experience four years ago. I did buy the 2014 books then, a couple of adventures, and got started. It's easy to learn if you know older editions.
The new 2024 books are a mixed bag, some like them, others not at all. I personally prefer the 2014 edition. If I had any advice, check for alternatives. The new Forgotten Realms books are really expensive, and that's still the default setting. 300 $ for rulebooks and setting to get started is a bit much for my liking https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/ .
Tales of the Valiant is pretty solid and has a nice setting with Midgard.
Also great is taking the Eberron setting with the 2014 books.
Advanced 5e is another variant but a bit more crunchy.
All of the above have free versions to get a first glimpse. Have a look before you decide - guess that's the advice I would have liked to hear four years ago.
Just as a counterpoint to this, it is worth pointing out that 2014/5e is no longer the latest edition, and there will not be any new official content published for it. If you're new to modern D&D, the best place to start is probably the latest edition, not an older one.
It's also worth pointing out that the 5.5e core rulebooks do not cost $300 and there is no need to spend that much money on it, especially if you're just playing and not DMing.
pronouns: he/she/they
gonna be playing mostly, migh dm in the future