The town remembers things differently depending on who you ask. Old buildings seem to have histories no one can quite agree on. People hear things they shouldn't. Familiar places sometimes feel subtly, impossibly wrong.
And somewhere above it all, the bell keeps ringing.
Greyshallow is a long-term homebrew D&D 5e campaign focused on investigation, roleplay, mystery, folk horror, and player-driven consequences.
This is not a campaign where the party simply waits for the next quest marker.
You will investigate strange events, question NPCs who each possess different pieces of the truth, uncover the history of Greyshallow, decide who you trust, and gradually learn that some things in town are considerably older—and stranger—than they first appear.
The campaign is being built specifically for Foundry VTT and includes custom systems and modules designed for Greyshallow, including mechanics that react to character choices and discoveries.
I want the world to feel alive and responsive. Choices matter. NPCs remember what you do. Information can be incomplete, misleading, or misunderstood. Mysteries are intended to be solved through actual investigation rather than a single successful skill check.
What kind of game is this?
Expect:
Heavy roleplay and investigation
Folk horror / supernatural mystery
Exploration and environmental storytelling
Meaningful combat rather than constant combat
Long-term character development
Recurring NPCs and factions
Secrets that may take multiple sessions to understand
Consequences that can alter later parts of the campaign
Custom Foundry VTT systems
A world that will not always explain itself immediately
Combat will absolutely occur, but this is not primarily a combat dungeon-crawl campaign.
Players who enjoy talking to NPCs, taking notes, theorizing between sessions, exploring strange locations, and slowly connecting clues will probably get the most out of Greyshallow.
Tone
Think isolated-town mystery, dark fantasy, folklore, creeping supernatural horror, and the feeling that something is happening just outside your understanding.
The goal is tension and unease rather than nonstop gore or shock horror.
There will also be humor, downtime, friendships, victories, and moments of normal life. Horror works better when characters have something worth protecting.
Characters
Characters will be created together during Session Zero.
You do not need to arrive with a fully developed character.
In fact, I would prefer that we build characters who naturally belong in the campaign and have reasons to care about Greyshallow and the people around them.
Character creation will use a custom Foundry-assisted process, and there will be campaign-specific options and character traits connected to the setting.
Newer players are welcome.
You do not need to know Foundry VTT.
What matters much more is being engaged, cooperative, curious, and willing to participate in the story.
What I'm looking for
I'm hoping to build a consistent group of players who:
Show up reliably
Enjoy roleplaying with other players
Give other characters room to shine
Become invested in NPCs and the setting
Enjoy mysteries without expecting instant answers
Can separate player knowledge from character knowledge
Are comfortable making imperfect decisions
Don't treat D&D as a competition against the DM
Are willing to occasionally take notes
Understand that failure can create interesting stories
Want a long-term campaign rather than a few-session game
Rules knowledge is much less important to me than attitude and group chemistry.
Logistics
System: D&D 5e Platform: Foundry VTT Voice: Discord Timezone: Eastern Time Schedule: TBD @ Session 0; Session 0 TBD when players are chosen Session Length: Approximately [3–4 hours] Players: Looking for approximately [4–5 players] Campaign Length: Long-term Cost: Free Age: 18+
Before inviting anyone into the campaign, I'll ask interested players to complete a short questionnaire.
After that I'll probably talk briefly with prospective players over Discord.
I'm deliberately not recruiting first-come, first-served. I'd rather build a group whose playstyles fit together.
If Greyshallow sounds like your kind of campaign, send me a DM and I'll send you the player questionnaire.
And if your first instinct after reading this is:
"Okay, but what's actually wrong with the bell?"
You're probably the kind of player I'm looking for.
This sounds fantastic! I'm super interested, though I have some odd availability due to being a full time professional GM, lol! One of the games I'm running right now is a Bloodborne/Castlevania inspired homebrew campaign; I love folk horror. And RP is my jam.
But hello! I'm Alta! Full time professional GM running 20 games right now. I'm LGBTQ, an artist, cat parent, and gamer - current favorite games are Elden Ring, Splatoon, Fields of Mistria, and BG3. Let me know if you want to chat more!
I'm definitely up for a horror story in need of some detective work. We should chat on discord when it's convenient for you. Feel free to reach out to me on my discord. My username is "greymatterlogic"
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Something is wrong with Greyshallow.
The town remembers things differently depending on who you ask. Old buildings seem to have histories no one can quite agree on. People hear things they shouldn't. Familiar places sometimes feel subtly, impossibly wrong.
And somewhere above it all, the bell keeps ringing.
Greyshallow is a long-term homebrew D&D 5e campaign focused on investigation, roleplay, mystery, folk horror, and player-driven consequences.
This is not a campaign where the party simply waits for the next quest marker.
You will investigate strange events, question NPCs who each possess different pieces of the truth, uncover the history of Greyshallow, decide who you trust, and gradually learn that some things in town are considerably older—and stranger—than they first appear.
The campaign is being built specifically for Foundry VTT and includes custom systems and modules designed for Greyshallow, including mechanics that react to character choices and discoveries.
I want the world to feel alive and responsive. Choices matter. NPCs remember what you do. Information can be incomplete, misleading, or misunderstood. Mysteries are intended to be solved through actual investigation rather than a single successful skill check.
What kind of game is this?
Expect:
Heavy roleplay and investigation
Folk horror / supernatural mystery
Exploration and environmental storytelling
Meaningful combat rather than constant combat
Long-term character development
Recurring NPCs and factions
Secrets that may take multiple sessions to understand
Consequences that can alter later parts of the campaign
Custom Foundry VTT systems
A world that will not always explain itself immediately
Combat will absolutely occur, but this is not primarily a combat dungeon-crawl campaign.
Players who enjoy talking to NPCs, taking notes, theorizing between sessions, exploring strange locations, and slowly connecting clues will probably get the most out of Greyshallow.
Tone
Think isolated-town mystery, dark fantasy, folklore, creeping supernatural horror, and the feeling that something is happening just outside your understanding.
The goal is tension and unease rather than nonstop gore or shock horror.
There will also be humor, downtime, friendships, victories, and moments of normal life. Horror works better when characters have something worth protecting.
Characters
Characters will be created together during Session Zero.
You do not need to arrive with a fully developed character.
In fact, I would prefer that we build characters who naturally belong in the campaign and have reasons to care about Greyshallow and the people around them.
Character creation will use a custom Foundry-assisted process, and there will be campaign-specific options and character traits connected to the setting.
Newer players are welcome.
You do not need to know Foundry VTT.
What matters much more is being engaged, cooperative, curious, and willing to participate in the story.
What I'm looking for
I'm hoping to build a consistent group of players who:
Show up reliably
Enjoy roleplaying with other players
Give other characters room to shine
Become invested in NPCs and the setting
Enjoy mysteries without expecting instant answers
Can separate player knowledge from character knowledge
Are comfortable making imperfect decisions
Don't treat D&D as a competition against the DM
Are willing to occasionally take notes
Understand that failure can create interesting stories
Want a long-term campaign rather than a few-session game
Rules knowledge is much less important to me than attitude and group chemistry.
Logistics
System: D&D 5e
Platform: Foundry VTT
Voice: Discord
Timezone: Eastern Time
Schedule: TBD @ Session 0; Session 0 TBD when players are chosen
Session Length: Approximately [3–4 hours]
Players: Looking for approximately [4–5 players]
Campaign Length: Long-term
Cost: Free
Age: 18+
Before inviting anyone into the campaign, I'll ask interested players to complete a short questionnaire.
After that I'll probably talk briefly with prospective players over Discord.
I'm deliberately not recruiting first-come, first-served. I'd rather build a group whose playstyles fit together.
If Greyshallow sounds like your kind of campaign, send me a DM and I'll send you the player questionnaire.
And if your first instinct after reading this is:
"Okay, but what's actually wrong with the bell?"
You're probably the kind of player I'm looking for.
This sounds fantastic! I'm super interested, though I have some odd availability due to being a full time professional GM, lol! One of the games I'm running right now is a Bloodborne/Castlevania inspired homebrew campaign; I love folk horror. And RP is my jam.
But hello! I'm Alta! Full time professional GM running 20 games right now. I'm LGBTQ, an artist, cat parent, and gamer - current favorite games are Elden Ring, Splatoon, Fields of Mistria, and BG3. Let me know if you want to chat more!
I'm definitely up for a horror story in need of some detective work. We should chat on discord when it's convenient for you. Feel free to reach out to me on my discord. My username is "greymatterlogic"