Vicious Mockery is one of my favorite spells/cantrips. Sure, it's weak, but the idea behind it is fun. It makes you feel like you're some action hero or a character that spouts one-liners before and after the kill.
What's disappointing about it though is how it's limited to a Bard. While it makes sense as to why it's limited to a Bard, I feel like a Wizard or Sorcerer could also benefit from it. Or maybe another class could learn it through a specific subclass. I know that Swashbucklers gain it in BG3, but I'm not sure they get it in D&D. And given that they removed the Magic Initiate Bard, it's disappointing because I'd rather not have to be a Bard in order to get that one spell.
It allows a save, but damage plus disadvantage is pretty nice on a cantrip. You can still pick it up with Pact of the Tome and, if you allow it, Strixhaven Initiate.
Vicious Mockery is one of my favorite spells/cantrips. Sure, it's weak, but the idea behind it is fun. It makes you feel like you're some action hero or a character that spouts one-liners before and after the kill.
What's disappointing about it though is how it's limited to a Bard. While it makes sense as to why it's limited to a Bard, I feel like a Wizard or Sorcerer could also benefit from it. Or maybe another class could learn it through a specific subclass. I know that Swashbucklers gain it in BG3, but I'm not sure they get it in D&D. And given that they removed the Magic Initiate Bard, it's disappointing because I'd rather not have to be a Bard in order to get that one spell.
You do realize if you take Pact of Tome you can do vicious mockery? or is it a background magic initiate? one of those two, as playing around I was able to access that spell as a warlock.
Vicious Mockery is one of my favorite spells/cantrips. Sure, it's weak, but the idea behind it is fun. It makes you feel like you're some action hero or a character that spouts one-liners before and after the kill.
What's disappointing about it though is how it's limited to a Bard. While it makes sense as to why it's limited to a Bard, I feel like a Wizard or Sorcerer could also benefit from it. Or maybe another class could learn it through a specific subclass. I know that Swashbucklers gain it in BG3, but I'm not sure they get it in D&D. And given that they removed the Magic Initiate Bard, it's disappointing because I'd rather not have to be a Bard in order to get that one spell.
You do realize if you take Pact of Tome you can do vicious mockery? or is it a background magic initiate? one of those two, as playing around I was able to access that spell as a warlock.
It would be Pact of the Tome
Magic initiate doesn't let you choose the bard class
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Hello! Call me Tana or 타나 My pronouns are Any/All/BOC Disclaimer: Tana__ is not to be held responsible for any of the following events happening as a result of talking to Tana__, touching Tana__, or even just seeing Tana__: The rise of Tiamat, resurrection of Vecna, pissed-of genies, a complete and utter power change in the blood war, or a fate worse than a fate worse than total annihilation. Exist with Tana__ at your own risk.
Vicious Mockery is one of my favorite spells/cantrips. Sure, it's weak, but the idea behind it is fun. It makes you feel like you're some action hero or a character that spouts one-liners before and after the kill.
What's disappointing about it though is how it's limited to a Bard. While it makes sense as to why it's limited to a Bard, I feel like a Wizard or Sorcerer could also benefit from it. Or maybe another class could learn it through a specific subclass. I know that Swashbucklers gain it in BG3, but I'm not sure they get it in D&D. And given that they removed the Magic Initiate Bard, it's disappointing because I'd rather not have to be a Bard in order to get that one spell.
It allows a save, but damage plus disadvantage is pretty nice on a cantrip. You can still pick it up with Pact of the Tome and, if you allow it, Strixhaven Initiate.
How to add Tooltips.
My houserulings.
You do realize if you take Pact of Tome you can do vicious mockery? or is it a background magic initiate? one of those two, as playing around I was able to access that spell as a warlock.
It would be Pact of the Tome
Magic initiate doesn't let you choose the bard class
Hello! Call me Tana or 타나
My pronouns are Any/All/BOC
Disclaimer: Tana__ is not to be held responsible for any of the following events happening as a result of talking to Tana__, touching Tana__, or even just seeing Tana__: The rise of Tiamat, resurrection of Vecna, pissed-of genies, a complete and utter power change in the blood war, or a fate worse than a fate worse than total annihilation. Exist with Tana__ at your own risk.
The 2024 version of Magic Initiate is limited to either Cleric, Druid, or Wizard. The 2014 version allows any spellcaster class.
pronouns: he/she/they
2024 rules made magic initiate just wizard, druid, or cleric