Hi. I think I may be Bard-Curious, lol. Could use some pointers. I'm interested to play a strong support character and have mainly played martials to this point. Just started a Cleric in another campaign, so that's my entry to full casters.
Two main things I'd love input on are: spellcasting & subclasses:
1) Spells: Because spells for a Bard are chosen, you are locked in, I find it a bit intimidating to pick the right one and not have access to other options the way I do with my Cleric. How do people manage this?
2) Subclasses: Any recommendations here? Obviously everyone needs to contribute damage, but I'm not trying to be a DPR star necessarily.
With both questions, if you don't have a clear vision already for what you want the character to do, it can help to look at what the other characters in the party can do — or rather, what they can't do. Bards are often kind of "filling a gap" and covering areas that the rest of the group can't.
For subclasses, if you look the core 5.5e stuff, you've got:
Dance: sort of "monk lite", you'll be doing a lot of unarmed strikes and running and dodging around the battlefield like a skirmisher.
Glamour: all about charm effects and using Command to manipulate enemies.
Lore: classic support caster with an extra debuff ability for Bardic Inspiration; this is the "basic" choice.
Valor: mostly about melee weapon combat.
So one way to approach this is to ask: which of those areas does your group not have covered? If there's no Wizardy character, Lore can fill that gap; if there's no Fighter, Valor can fill that gap, etc.
The other thing to consider is that Valor and Lore are pretty simple mechanically, while Glamour and Dance are more complex (as are Spirits and Moon if you're dipping into the expanded rules stuff).
Spell selection, I would say, should come after you make that subclass choice (even if you're starting at a lower level and not actually taking the subclass yet). Because, as you point out, your chances to change spells out are very limited, you want to make sure they complement what your subclass gives you.
My check ought to be in the mail for this reference, but Dungeon Dudes are 10 approximately 2 Hour episodes into a series where one plays a Glamor Bard starting at level 1.
One of the best ways I’ve found to learn the game is to watch others play it, so give it a try I’d say. Good luck!
Hypnotic Pattern is a staple you should consider. It can take a bunch out of the fight and your party will thank you for it.
Suggestion is great also. Party encounters a yuan-ti sorceress at an oasis in the desert, she says to the party "Please join me for tea and cakes, oh dear I am short a coupl of chairs" turns to the barbarian and "Be a sweetie and run to my camp by that cliff and bring as many chairs as you can carry" Barbarian fails his save vs the suggestion and begins sprinting off to the cliffs a mere 8 hours run away. Party looked at me like I was a cheating DM or something.
Spell selection depends a little on your subclass, your party composition, but more importantly what gives you enjoyment playing.
Valor bard is the classic bard IMO. Fighting, skills, and magic. They're the gishiest bard subclass. The benefits are they wear some armor so they're less squishy and they can cast cantrips as part of the attack action. Their bardic inspiration is dedicated to others.
Lore bard is a take on another type of classical bard that doesn't include the combat aspect. They have a bit more of a skill focus and gain access to other class spells lists earlier. If you're focused on support a couple more spells known from the cleric list and earlier is definitely a benefit.
Glamour bard focuses on the controller style of bard. They also gain a few more spells known but their focus is on the controller aspect. They can trigger a lot of opportunity attacks casting Command as a bonus action without a spell slot. Your party might appreciate that.
Dance bard is pretty recent and would be more of an exotic flavor of bard. Their benefits to the party come from the being able add to initiative and adding off turn movement.
I don't think you can really go wrong with a choice of subclass. It just depends on what a play likes.
My idea of strong support is controlling effects, some buffing, and healing when needed. This is my typical 1st level layout for spells: Prestidigitation, True Strike; Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Identify, Sleep. You might replace True Strike with Vicious Mockery and Prestidigitation with Minor Illusion for better support. Replace Identify with Unseen Servant because it can be more applicable more often and is also a ritual. I also like Speak with Animals.
Bards have a lot of spells and the spells known is restrictive. If I were you I would list some of the spells you're considering and ask opinions on them.
A lore bard can be a classic Skillmonkey with the ability to pick things that will get you answers to puzzles, know things about history, and charm the pants off most people you meet. Chose Skill expert and get more expertise. Either the musician or charlatan background are good. A rogue dip can give even more.
A lore bard can be a classic Skillmonkey with the ability to pick things that will get you answers to puzzles, know things about history, and charm the pants off most people you meet. Chose Skill expert and get more expertise. Either the musician or charlatan background are good. A rogue dip can give even more.
Go with Charlatan. The "Entertainer" Background comes with the musician feat granting you proficiency in 7 musical instruments (including the ones that come with the Bard class itself) and no useful tools. Unless you want to be bard who's a 1-man band, but those cymbals on the knees are terrible for stealth.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
"...at worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
A lore bard can be a classic Skillmonkey with the ability to pick things that will get you answers to puzzles, know things about history, and charm the pants off most people you meet. Chose Skill expert and get more expertise. Either the musician or charlatan background are good. A rogue dip can give even more.
Go with Charlatan. The "Entertainer" Background comes with the musician feat granting you proficiency in 7 musical instruments (including the ones that come with the Bard class itself) and no useful tools. Unless you want to be bard who's a 1-man band, but those cymbals on the knees are terrible for stealth.
The better part of the Musician Origin Feat is that it grants the whole party Heroic Inspiration anytime you take a Long or Short Rest. It's a very good pick for one character to have in the party, and it makes the most thematic sense on a support-oriented Bard (Heroic Inspiration + Bardic Inspiration = "I WIN" Button)
A lore bard can be a classic Skillmonkey with the ability to pick things that will get you answers to puzzles, know things about history, and charm the pants off most people you meet. Chose Skill expert and get more expertise. Either the musician or charlatan background are good. A rogue dip can give even more.
Go with Charlatan. The "Entertainer" Background comes with the musician feat granting you proficiency in 7 musical instruments (including the ones that come with the Bard class itself) and no useful tools. Unless you want to be bard who's a 1-man band, but those cymbals on the knees are terrible for stealth.
The better part of the Musician Origin Feat is that it grants the whole party Heroic Inspiration anytime you take a Long or Short Rest. It's a very good pick for one character to have in the party, and it makes the most thematic sense on a support-oriented Bard (Heroic Inspiration + Bardic Inspiration = "I WIN" Button)
Pile Inspiring Leader on top of that. At level 5 and above every short rest refreshes all your Bardic Inspirations so you can hand them out like candy. You refresh everyone's Heroic Inspirations and pass out a bunch of temporary hit points.
Great suggestions, thanks everyone. More specifics & questions on spells mainly:
Thinking of playing Spirits Bard, which looks pretty cool. They get Spirit Guardians at level 6, so for spell selection, that makes anything requiring concentration a bit less attractive I guess? But I am interested to try out many of a Bard's control options. I suppose even if I took a concentration spell earlier I could replace it at a later level?
On switching out spells at level-ups, I assume that is limited to one spell switch at a level-up, yes? "Whenever you gain a Bard level, you can replace one spell on your list with another Bard spell for which you have spell slots."
The level 6 Spirit feature adding 1d6 to healing or damage from a Bard spell obviously incentivizes healing & damage spells.
Dunno role in the party yet - just the drawing board at the moment.
On switching out spells at level-ups, I assume that is limited to one spell switch at a level-up, yes? "Whenever you gain a Bard level, you can replace one spell on your list with another Bard spell for which you have spell slots."
That's correct as far as the official rules go. In practice, a DM might let a player swap out more than one, especially if they're a new player or still figuring out how they want the character to work.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
pronouns: he/she/they
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Hi. I think I may be Bard-Curious, lol. Could use some pointers. I'm interested to play a strong support character and have mainly played martials to this point. Just started a Cleric in another campaign, so that's my entry to full casters.
Two main things I'd love input on are: spellcasting & subclasses:
1) Spells: Because spells for a Bard are chosen, you are locked in, I find it a bit intimidating to pick the right one and not have access to other options the way I do with my Cleric. How do people manage this?
2) Subclasses: Any recommendations here? Obviously everyone needs to contribute damage, but I'm not trying to be a DPR star necessarily.
Many thanks!
With both questions, if you don't have a clear vision already for what you want the character to do, it can help to look at what the other characters in the party can do — or rather, what they can't do. Bards are often kind of "filling a gap" and covering areas that the rest of the group can't.
For subclasses, if you look the core 5.5e stuff, you've got:
So one way to approach this is to ask: which of those areas does your group not have covered? If there's no Wizardy character, Lore can fill that gap; if there's no Fighter, Valor can fill that gap, etc.
The other thing to consider is that Valor and Lore are pretty simple mechanically, while Glamour and Dance are more complex (as are Spirits and Moon if you're dipping into the expanded rules stuff).
Spell selection, I would say, should come after you make that subclass choice (even if you're starting at a lower level and not actually taking the subclass yet). Because, as you point out, your chances to change spells out are very limited, you want to make sure they complement what your subclass gives you.
pronouns: he/she/they
My check ought to be in the mail for this reference, but Dungeon Dudes are 10 approximately 2 Hour episodes into a series where one plays a Glamor Bard starting at level 1.
One of the best ways I’ve found to learn the game is to watch others play it, so give it a try I’d say. Good luck!
Hypnotic Pattern is a staple you should consider. It can take a bunch out of the fight and your party will thank you for it.
Suggestion is great also.
Party encounters a yuan-ti sorceress at an oasis in the desert, she says to the party "Please join me for tea and cakes, oh dear I am short a coupl of chairs" turns to the barbarian and "Be a sweetie and run to my camp by that cliff and bring as many chairs as you can carry" Barbarian fails his save vs the suggestion and begins sprinting off to the cliffs a mere 8 hours run away. Party looked at me like I was a cheating DM or something.
Spell selection depends a little on your subclass, your party composition, but more importantly what gives you enjoyment playing.
Life's hard - get a helmet!
Valor bard is the classic bard IMO. Fighting, skills, and magic. They're the gishiest bard subclass. The benefits are they wear some armor so they're less squishy and they can cast cantrips as part of the attack action. Their bardic inspiration is dedicated to others.
Lore bard is a take on another type of classical bard that doesn't include the combat aspect. They have a bit more of a skill focus and gain access to other class spells lists earlier. If you're focused on support a couple more spells known from the cleric list and earlier is definitely a benefit.
Glamour bard focuses on the controller style of bard. They also gain a few more spells known but their focus is on the controller aspect. They can trigger a lot of opportunity attacks casting Command as a bonus action without a spell slot. Your party might appreciate that.
Dance bard is pretty recent and would be more of an exotic flavor of bard. Their benefits to the party come from the being able add to initiative and adding off turn movement.
I don't think you can really go wrong with a choice of subclass. It just depends on what a play likes.
My idea of strong support is controlling effects, some buffing, and healing when needed. This is my typical 1st level layout for spells: Prestidigitation, True Strike; Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, Identify, Sleep. You might replace True Strike with Vicious Mockery and Prestidigitation with Minor Illusion for better support. Replace Identify with Unseen Servant because it can be more applicable more often and is also a ritual. I also like Speak with Animals.
Bards have a lot of spells and the spells known is restrictive. If I were you I would list some of the spells you're considering and ask opinions on them.
A lore bard can be a classic Skillmonkey with the ability to pick things that will get you answers to puzzles, know things about history, and charm the pants off most people you meet. Chose Skill expert and get more expertise. Either the musician or charlatan background are good. A rogue dip can give even more.
Go with Charlatan. The "Entertainer" Background comes with the musician feat granting you proficiency in 7 musical instruments (including the ones that come with the Bard class itself) and no useful tools. Unless you want to be bard who's a 1-man band, but those cymbals on the knees are terrible for stealth.
"...at worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
The better part of the Musician Origin Feat is that it grants the whole party Heroic Inspiration anytime you take a Long or Short Rest. It's a very good pick for one character to have in the party, and it makes the most thematic sense on a support-oriented Bard (Heroic Inspiration + Bardic Inspiration = "I WIN" Button)
Pile Inspiring Leader on top of that. At level 5 and above every short rest refreshes all your Bardic Inspirations so you can hand them out like candy. You refresh everyone's Heroic Inspirations and pass out a bunch of temporary hit points.
It brings new meaning to 'life of the party'.
Great suggestions, thanks everyone. More specifics & questions on spells mainly:
Thinking of playing Spirits Bard, which looks pretty cool. They get Spirit Guardians at level 6, so for spell selection, that makes anything requiring concentration a bit less attractive I guess? But I am interested to try out many of a Bard's control options. I suppose even if I took a concentration spell earlier I could replace it at a later level?
On switching out spells at level-ups, I assume that is limited to one spell switch at a level-up, yes? "Whenever you gain a Bard level, you can replace one spell on your list with another Bard spell for which you have spell slots."
The level 6 Spirit feature adding 1d6 to healing or damage from a Bard spell obviously incentivizes healing & damage spells.
Dunno role in the party yet - just the drawing board at the moment.
That's correct as far as the official rules go. In practice, a DM might let a player swap out more than one, especially if they're a new player or still figuring out how they want the character to work.
pronouns: he/she/they