I was more hoping to see if I could get a fresh discussion going and hear what others had to say about the pros and cons of the two biggest casters I’ve yet to mess with
Do you want ot be a face (charisma) character or Intelligence caster? Look at the subclasses for both and see what looks better to you. Personally, I like evoker wizard becase I can cast AOE without affecting party members. I also like the spellbook and ritual caster aspects of wizards.
I wouldn't pick strictly on mechanics. Meta magic is great at refilling spell slots but the Wiz spell book is wider. CHA gives you face RP and subterfuge. Int gives you investigation. They're both strong classes. Wiz spell book is best in the game but the newer Adept feats from ArcUnleashed helps casters open up their spell options quite a bit.
So I would look @ subclasses and overall what type of character sounds interesting and then pick from there.
Without taking subclasses into account, here are my major takes on the differences between Wizard and Sorcerer:
Wizard: Intelligence based, which makes you good at skills less characters are likely to be good at (as opposed to the numerous Charisma-based characters). Wizards get more spells in their spell books than Sorcerers learn - you can't prepare them all, but you can cast any ritual spells in your spell book without having it prepared, which in most cases is just as good as having it prepared for out of combat spells like Detect Magic or Divination. You can also add spells to your book from scrolls and other Wizard spell books. At high levels, they have exclusive access to some of the most powerful spells that Sorcerers don't get, like Contingency, Simulacrum, Clone, and Maze. Lastly, Wizards can also switch out one prepared spell with one in their spell book on a short rest rather than needing to gain a level like a Sorcerer.
Sorcerer: Charisma based, so it's easier to multiclass with classes like Bard, Warlock, or Paladin. Can be a party face, but so can many other classes, and some can do it better, so the skill choices tend to be less impactful at the table than those brought by the Wizard (few other classes will have a +10 or more to Arcana checks). Metamagic can make your spells more versatile, which can help compensate for your smaller choice of spells; it also allows for some things the Wizard can't do like subtle spellcasting. Innate Sorcery make it easier to land your spells when active, which is a big plus, but it is less effective than you would like if you play at a table with multiple encounters per adventuring day due to the limited number of uses. Has access to plenty of good spells that coincide with what the Wizard gets, with just a few notable exceptions.
Long and short of it, I would rate Wizards as more powerful outside of combat, with Sorcerers having more raw power in combat. Which of those play styles is more appealing to you will determine which class is right for you.
I have played Warlocks, Clerics and Bards before and I’m looking to play a Wizard or a Sorcerer next.
Can someone help me decide which to play?
Please pick your favorite and pitch them to me!
You are a sorcerer.
Wizards take a lifetime of dedication and dtermination to master the arcane arts, you want it handed to you without studying the lore. Become a sorcerer then with its granted innate powers for you are not suited to the wizards arts.
I have played Warlocks, Clerics and Bards before and I’m looking to play a Wizard or a Sorcerer next.
Can someone help me decide which to play?
Please pick your favorite and pitch them to me!
Why would I pitch what I like when I know nothing about what you like?
16 months ago you said:
"The spell book, the time to copy spells, etc, it all sounds too complicated"
What have you done to make this less complicated?
I was more hoping to see if I could get a fresh discussion going and hear what others had to say about the pros and cons of the two biggest casters I’ve yet to mess with
Do you want ot be a face (charisma) character or Intelligence caster? Look at the subclasses for both and see what looks better to you. Personally, I like evoker wizard becase I can cast AOE without affecting party members. I also like the spellbook and ritual caster aspects of wizards.
Food, Scifi/fantasy, anime, DND 5E and OSR geek.
As of now (June 2026), currently playing 5.5E homebrew cyber/diesel punk and the Wildsea.
I wouldn't pick strictly on mechanics. Meta magic is great at refilling spell slots but the Wiz spell book is wider. CHA gives you face RP and subterfuge. Int gives you investigation. They're both strong classes. Wiz spell book is best in the game but the newer Adept feats from ArcUnleashed helps casters open up their spell options quite a bit.
So I would look @ subclasses and overall what type of character sounds interesting and then pick from there.
Without taking subclasses into account, here are my major takes on the differences between Wizard and Sorcerer:
Wizard: Intelligence based, which makes you good at skills less characters are likely to be good at (as opposed to the numerous Charisma-based characters). Wizards get more spells in their spell books than Sorcerers learn - you can't prepare them all, but you can cast any ritual spells in your spell book without having it prepared, which in most cases is just as good as having it prepared for out of combat spells like Detect Magic or Divination. You can also add spells to your book from scrolls and other Wizard spell books. At high levels, they have exclusive access to some of the most powerful spells that Sorcerers don't get, like Contingency, Simulacrum, Clone, and Maze. Lastly, Wizards can also switch out one prepared spell with one in their spell book on a short rest rather than needing to gain a level like a Sorcerer.
Sorcerer: Charisma based, so it's easier to multiclass with classes like Bard, Warlock, or Paladin. Can be a party face, but so can many other classes, and some can do it better, so the skill choices tend to be less impactful at the table than those brought by the Wizard (few other classes will have a +10 or more to Arcana checks). Metamagic can make your spells more versatile, which can help compensate for your smaller choice of spells; it also allows for some things the Wizard can't do like subtle spellcasting. Innate Sorcery make it easier to land your spells when active, which is a big plus, but it is less effective than you would like if you play at a table with multiple encounters per adventuring day due to the limited number of uses. Has access to plenty of good spells that coincide with what the Wizard gets, with just a few notable exceptions.
Long and short of it, I would rate Wizards as more powerful outside of combat, with Sorcerers having more raw power in combat. Which of those play styles is more appealing to you will determine which class is right for you.
You are a sorcerer.
Wizards take a lifetime of dedication and dtermination to master the arcane arts, you want it handed to you without studying the lore. Become a sorcerer then with its granted innate powers for you are not suited to the wizards arts.
A bit tongue in cheek - but there ya go.
Life's hard - get a helmet!