Ability Scores. A background lists three of your character’s ability scores. Increase one by 2 and another one by 1, or increase all three by 1. None of these increases can raise a score above 20.
Feat. A background gives your character a specified Origin feat (described in chapter 5).
Skill Proficiencies. A background gives your character proficiency in two specified skills.
Tool Proficiency. Each background gives a character proficiency with one tool—either a specific tool or one chosen from the Artisan’s Tools category. Tools are detailed in chapter 6.
Equipment. Each background offers a choice between a package of equipment and 50 GP.
While the Feats, Skill Proficiencies, Tool Proficiencies and Equipment are all configurable, there is no field to set the three Ability Scores that the Background will allow increases to in a Homebrew Feat.
So I was homebrewing a background called Cosmic Dawn Experiment with grants you Ability Score increases but when I want to select the increase I don't see a option to do so I also homebrewed the Shifter race to play alongside it as well. can anyone hey me I copy how they got set up solider and nothing still pop up.
So I was homebrewing a background called Cosmic Dawn Experiment with grants you Ability Score increases but when I want to select the increase I don't see a option to do so I also homebrewed the Shifter race to play alongside it as well. can anyone hey me I copy how they got set up solider and nothing still pop up.
As was noted above, homebrew backgrounds aren't able to implement the ASI like 5.5e backgrounds do. This is a current system limitation.
Another way forward is required: Use the species for ASI traits, a custom feat, or just add the modifiers to the sheet manually.
According to the Free Rules 2024:
While the Feats, Skill Proficiencies, Tool Proficiencies and Equipment are all configurable, there is no field to set the three Ability Scores that the Background will allow increases to in a Homebrew Feat.
As per the DMG 2024 DM's Toolbox:
This step cannot be homebrewed.
-
View User Profile
-
View Posts
-
Send Message
ModeratorThat's correct.
Need help with D&D Beyond? Come ask in the official D&D server on Discord: https://discord.gg/dnd
Is this intended to be implemented though?
-
View User Profile
-
View Posts
-
Send Message
ModeratorI don't know what they have planned. That's the only public statement that's been given.
Need help with D&D Beyond? Come ask in the official D&D server on Discord: https://discord.gg/dnd
So I was homebrewing a background called Cosmic Dawn Experiment with grants you Ability Score increases but when I want to select the increase I don't see a option to do so I also homebrewed the Shifter race to play alongside it as well. can anyone hey me I copy how they got set up solider and nothing still pop up.
As was noted above, homebrew backgrounds aren't able to implement the ASI like 5.5e backgrounds do. This is a current system limitation.
Another way forward is required: Use the species for ASI traits, a custom feat, or just add the modifiers to the sheet manually.
Likely they'll fix this with the engine rebuild, since it's a well known flaw of the system.