The basic problem is that a monster that's twice as durable also does twice as much damage per round, and thus over the course of a combat would be expected to cause four times as much damage. This makes it very hard to have a solo boss that lasts more than around three rounds of actual combat and doesn't cause a TPK, so if you want an epic 4-5 round fight, you need something that boosts durability without boosting damage. Multiple phases are one way of doing this (there are other options).
I’m not tracking your math on the health to DPR relationship. All other things being equal, double the health doesn’t alter their round by round damage output, so while they’d do about twice as much damage overall if a fight goes twice as long, I don’t see how it compounds into four times as much.
I’m not tracking your math on the health to DPR relationship. All other things being equal, double the health doesn’t alter their round by round damage output, so while they’d do about twice as much damage overall if a fight goes twice as long, I don’t see how it compounds into four times as much.
If you just use published monsters, the way you get a monster with more health is... find a higher CR monster. A higher CR monster also does more damage (generally both health and damage output roughly scale with (CR+1)).
If you just give a monster more health, sure, that doesn't increase its damage.
Sounds like the World of Warcraft book will have extensive use of mythic bosses. Which makes sense given the source material.
I’m not tracking your math on the health to DPR relationship. All other things being equal, double the health doesn’t alter their round by round damage output, so while they’d do about twice as much damage overall if a fight goes twice as long, I don’t see how it compounds into four times as much.
If you just use published monsters, the way you get a monster with more health is... find a higher CR monster. A higher CR monster also does more damage (generally both health and damage output roughly scale with (CR+1)).
If you just give a monster more health, sure, that doesn't increase its damage.
Ah, I follow now.