Out of curiosity, has anyone here run a combat encounter with multiple foes with access to legendary actions? If so, how did you handle those actions? How did it affect the overall flow and balance of the combat encounter?
I have done this a few times, but generally try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary for the narrative element of combat.
In my experience, it bogs down encounters and makes players feel like the DM is constantly infringing on their turns (recognizing it is not technically on their turn, the psychological feel is that the player’s turn is being co-opted as the trigger for the multiple legendary actions).
In this case, I would probably use one big monster with legendary actions, a secondary big monster without them, then transmit that second big monster’s legendary actions onto smaller creatures (exact same effects, but can be killed separately and act naturally on their own turn) or environmental effects or end of round (same effects, can’t be killed separately, occur independent of player turns). Your end effect will be similar, but it will not have the same psychological feel bad to players.
Out of curiosity, has anyone here run a combat encounter with multiple foes with access to legendary actions?
I have not done so yet, but it's certainly possible in the relatively near future. I suspect I will replace their legendary actions with other features that are less of a hassle to track (you can't just delete them, as legendary actions are a big part of their power budget).
This gets into a more general annoyance: it would be convenient if monsters had multiple versions depending on their role. It's entirely possible that a monster that I used as a big boss in tier 1 will be a minion in tier 3, but you don't want to use a minion-level writeup for a boss (boring) or a boss-level writeup for a minion (way too annoying to track). This is complicated to actually include in a rulebook, though (it becomes easier if you implement villain decay or the inverse ninja rule, because them you can just have a less powerful version, but I'd kind of prefer not to do that).
Out of curiosity, has anyone here run a combat encounter with multiple foes with access to legendary actions? If so, how did you handle those actions? How did it affect the overall flow and balance of the combat encounter?
Professional DM on startplaying.games!
Follow me on BlueSky!
Add me on Discord: sablemane
I have done this a few times, but generally try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary for the narrative element of combat.
In my experience, it bogs down encounters and makes players feel like the DM is constantly infringing on their turns (recognizing it is not technically on their turn, the psychological feel is that the player’s turn is being co-opted as the trigger for the multiple legendary actions).
In this case, I would probably use one big monster with legendary actions, a secondary big monster without them, then transmit that second big monster’s legendary actions onto smaller creatures (exact same effects, but can be killed separately and act naturally on their own turn) or environmental effects or end of round (same effects, can’t be killed separately, occur independent of player turns). Your end effect will be similar, but it will not have the same psychological feel bad to players.
I have not done so yet, but it's certainly possible in the relatively near future. I suspect I will replace their legendary actions with other features that are less of a hassle to track (you can't just delete them, as legendary actions are a big part of their power budget).
This gets into a more general annoyance: it would be convenient if monsters had multiple versions depending on their role. It's entirely possible that a monster that I used as a big boss in tier 1 will be a minion in tier 3, but you don't want to use a minion-level writeup for a boss (boring) or a boss-level writeup for a minion (way too annoying to track). This is complicated to actually include in a rulebook, though (it becomes easier if you implement villain decay or the inverse ninja rule, because them you can just have a less powerful version, but I'd kind of prefer not to do that).