While some on this thread hem and haw, and wait for Hasbro to "answer questions" about this "unverified leak" my friends in the outside creative community who have relied on the OGL 1.0a are not waiting.
I know those small, medium, and large TTRPG content creators are right now hard at work trying to salvage their livelihoods. Some have already spent thousands on lawyer fees based on this "unverified leak." They are writing their own OGL which will overtake the industry. And even if Hasbro does nothing, even if Hasbro were to let the OGL 1.0a stand, these creators will never forget, and never again trust this soulless corporation.
Which system will rule them all? I think we all know what that looks like. It will be a system that will allow creativity without bounds.
The creatives and innovators are enraged and engaged. What you will see in 2023 is a wave of independent open game content the likes of which has only been hinted at in the past. This Cambrian explosion of open game content will gather force until it smashes upon this rotting beached whale like a tidal wave.
The OGL of the future will not belong to Hasbro.
That sounds remarkably similar to anarchist anthems and revolutionary movements the past is littered with.
It's cute, but entirely disregards the players/costumers role in all of this. The small creators may band together and march under the banner of freedom all day long, but in the end it's going to come down to the quality of the vtt, it's pervasiveness, customer service, price, marketing and overall appeal.
We can be mad all we like, but if enough customers, old and new, only care about their game and how and were to play it best, and where to find people to play it with, the big companies are always going to have a leg up
Ah yes, the VTT. That is what this is all for, isn't it. I am sure that it will be very successful, but that isn't the topic of this thread. THis thread is about the OGL and D&D and my vision is a bit dreamy, perhaps, but again, the FUTURE of the OGL will not be in the hands of Hasbro. The FUTURE OGL will be something entirely new, it may not even be called "OGL," but I do believe these 3rd party creators will produce a universal SRD and license. It will have nothing to do with Hasbro's proprietary VTT game that they will call D&D. The VTT will come out in 2024, and it very well may be a huge success for a year or two, or 5. Then the rot will sink in, and folks will start looking for a better way to play (like they always do.) And that is when the 3rd party products will gain market. Wild Prediction: In 10 years, most TTRPG gamers are playing something else entirely while Hasbro files for bankruptcy.
"Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and piggish faces with prominent lower canines that resemble tusks." MM p245 (original printing) You don't OWN your books on DDB: WotC can change them any time. What do you think will happen when OneD&D comes out?
Yes, I just saw this. Unfortunately this authenticity has not yet been confirmed, but I guess we'll see what they say in their 3pm video.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
"Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and piggish faces with prominent lower canines that resemble tusks." MM p245 (original printing) You don't OWN your books on DDB: WotC can change them any time. What do you think will happen when OneD&D comes out?
In 5 minutes we will all find out if Hasbro upper management is as obtuse as we all think it might be. I am prepared to believe they have learned nothing since the MTG disaster. If so this will be a watershed moment for D&D...
money money money that all wizards care about welcome to the world of capitalism every one at the top wants their bit. So has any one herd about path finder ??
I have my comment to explain why I am unsubscribing ready to launch... I am waiting to see what their official reaction will be, but I most likely will unsubscribe as soon as my players have their character sheets and put them someplace else.
I have a ticket in to delete my account, already canceled my subscription but it's not up until August.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Ah yes, the VTT. That is what this is all for, isn't it. I am sure that it will be very successful, but that isn't the topic of this thread.
THis thread is about the OGL and D&D and my vision is a bit dreamy, perhaps, but again, the FUTURE of the OGL will not be in the hands of Hasbro.
The FUTURE OGL will be something entirely new, it may not even be called "OGL," but I do believe these 3rd party creators will produce a universal SRD and license.
It will have nothing to do with Hasbro's proprietary VTT game that they will call D&D. The VTT will come out in 2024, and it very well may be a huge success for a year or two, or 5.
Then the rot will sink in, and folks will start looking for a better way to play (like they always do.) And that is when the 3rd party products will gain market.
Wild Prediction: In 10 years, most TTRPG gamers are playing something else entirely while Hasbro files for bankruptcy.
Looks like WotC is releasing a video at 3pm EST today to address CGL 1.1. Roll for Combat YouTube channel is going to cover it.
https://twitter.com/RollForCombat/status/1613566977490001928
"Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and piggish faces with prominent lower canines that resemble tusks." MM p245 (original printing)
You don't OWN your books on DDB: WotC can change them any time. What do you think will happen when OneD&D comes out?
Well, this will be fun!
https://twitter.com/DnD_Shorts/status/1613576298114449409?cxt=HHwWgoDQsYLGyeQsAAAA
Yes, I just saw this. Unfortunately this authenticity has not yet been confirmed, but I guess we'll see what they say in their 3pm video.
"Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and piggish faces with prominent lower canines that resemble tusks." MM p245 (original printing)
You don't OWN your books on DDB: WotC can change them any time. What do you think will happen when OneD&D comes out?
Seems to me that the timing is probably intended to have itself be "verified" by whatever comes this afternoon.
If they turn out to be a prophet, oops, confirmed.
Oops for WotC that is.
Initiate Self-Destruction in 3...2...
Info, Inflow, Overload. Knowledge Black Hole Imminent!
It’s a modern adaptation of the tale: The goose who laid golden eggs!
In 5 minutes we will all find out if Hasbro upper management is as obtuse as we all think it might be. I am prepared to believe they have learned nothing since the MTG disaster. If so this will be a watershed moment for D&D...
money money money that all wizards care about welcome to the world of capitalism every one at the top wants their bit. So has any one herd about path finder ??
Watchparty on now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqXC4G-wdF4
www.change.org/p/stop-hasbro-s-monopoly-on-dungeons-and-dragons-a-class-action-lawsuit-petition
How did it go?
Appears that they canceled it. We’re all still waiting.
Probably canceled because it’s going to be a bloodbath.
I don't think it's happening.
Their twitch page lists a stream today 1/12 at noon (PST) has been cancelled.
I wonder if the depth to which people are upset with them is starting to sink in.
Just unsubscribed!
I have my comment to explain why I am unsubscribing ready to launch... I am waiting to see what their official reaction will be, but I most likely will unsubscribe as soon as my players have their character sheets and put them someplace else.
I have a ticket in to delete my account, already canceled my subscription but it's not up until August.
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.