The Carpet of Flying - How is it handled at your table when you get hit while on the carpet?
Seems like you should have to make some kind of save to avoid getting knocked off, no? It's not attached to you like Winged Boots or something. But the item description says nothing. But if so, does it matter how much the damage is? And what would the DC be? Could be treated like a Concentration save?
Is there perhaps a step you could take to mitigate that by preparing? Gain Advantage on the save by halving the speed to represent like digging in or something?
As far as I can tell, a flying carpet functions like a platform that you can stand or sit on, and if you get pushed off you have the same consequences as being pushed off of any other platform (generally falling to the ground). 5e has no rules for catching the edge of a platform to avoid falling, though the DM may wish to create house rules, or allow a PC to do something like tie themselves to the carpet.
As far as I can tell, a flying carpet functions like a platform that you can stand or sit on, and if you get pushed off you have the same consequences as being pushed off of any other platform (generally falling to the ground). 5e has no rules for catching the edge of a platform to avoid falling, though the DM may wish to create house rules, or allow a PC to do something like tie themselves to the carpet.
Sure if one got pushed, the normal push rules would apply. I'm thinking here more generally of losing balance from getting hit. I suppose on a regular tile you wouldn't collapse from a hit, but the carpet is flying and you have limited space to maintain balance. Maybe nothing is needed, dunno.
Sure if one got pushed, the normal push rules would apply. I'm thinking here more generally of losing balance from getting hit. I suppose on a regular tile you wouldn't collapse from a hit, but the carpet is flying and you have limited space to maintain balance. Maybe nothing is needed, dunno.
For an attack that knocks a rider prone, you can use the same rules as you would for riding a horse.
Sure if one got pushed, the normal push rules would apply. I'm thinking here more generally of losing balance from getting hit. I suppose on a regular tile you wouldn't collapse from a hit, but the carpet is flying and you have limited space to maintain balance. Maybe nothing is needed, dunno.
For an attack that knocks a rider prone, you can use the same rules as you would for riding a horse.
This. I can understand that there maybe should be a degree of realism as there's nothing inherently holding you in like a saddle or a roller coaster harness (characters are literally sitting or standing on a moving piece of rug at so many feet in the air 😂).
However, I think it's been intentionally 'gamified' so as to not create another rule that relies on real world physics. And as previously mentioned, the item description doesn't state anything so I think Pantagruel666 makes the fairest suggestion of a house rule.
Have the Physical Books? Confused as to why you're not allowed to redeem them for free on D&D Beyond? Questions answered here at the Hardcover Books, D&D Beyond and You FAQ
Looking to add mouse-over triggered tooltips to such things like magic items, monsters or combat actions? Then dash over to the How to Add Tooltips thread.
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
The Carpet of Flying - How is it handled at your table when you get hit while on the carpet?
Seems like you should have to make some kind of save to avoid getting knocked off, no? It's not attached to you like Winged Boots or something. But the item description says nothing. But if so, does it matter how much the damage is? And what would the DC be? Could be treated like a Concentration save?
Is there perhaps a step you could take to mitigate that by preparing? Gain Advantage on the save by halving the speed to represent like digging in or something?
Most creature have a save DC baked into their stats. So I would give a Dex Save based on what hits them.
As far as I can tell, a flying carpet functions like a platform that you can stand or sit on, and if you get pushed off you have the same consequences as being pushed off of any other platform (generally falling to the ground). 5e has no rules for catching the edge of a platform to avoid falling, though the DM may wish to create house rules, or allow a PC to do something like tie themselves to the carpet.
Sure if one got pushed, the normal push rules would apply. I'm thinking here more generally of losing balance from getting hit. I suppose on a regular tile you wouldn't collapse from a hit, but the carpet is flying and you have limited space to maintain balance. Maybe nothing is needed, dunno.
For an attack that knocks a rider prone, you can use the same rules as you would for riding a horse.
Just on a regular hit? No. That is too high a penalty just for riding on the carpet.
"Sooner or later, your Players are going to smash your railroad into a sandbox."
-Vedexent
"real life is a super high CR."
-OboeLauren
"............anybody got any potatoes? We could drop a potato in each hole an' see which ones get viciously mauled by horrible monsters?"
-Ilyara Thundertale
This. I can understand that there maybe should be a degree of realism as there's nothing inherently holding you in like a saddle or a roller coaster harness (characters are literally sitting or standing on a moving piece of rug at so many feet in the air 😂).
However, I think it's been intentionally 'gamified' so as to not create another rule that relies on real world physics. And as previously mentioned, the item description doesn't state anything so I think Pantagruel666 makes the fairest suggestion of a house rule.
#Open D&D
Have the Physical Books? Confused as to why you're not allowed to redeem them for free on D&D Beyond? Questions answered here at the Hardcover Books, D&D Beyond and You FAQ
Looking to add mouse-over triggered tooltips to such things like magic items, monsters or combat actions? Then dash over to the How to Add Tooltips thread.