Last campaign, we played as an aasimar cleric (me), a dragonborn barbarian, a elven sorcerer, a human wizard, and a lizardfolk monk. We had:
-Defeated the Cult of Chaos and eliminated its leadership.
-Killed the nothic who gave the Cult their book, secured the book, and gave it to the local lord for safe keeping.
-Moved out the Caves of Chaos, as 5 level 5s were becoming obviously too powerful.
-Fought an army of undead, and eliminated the death dragon at lv 6.
Thus, we went our separate ways. Here’s each of our epilogues:
-Flame Tongue (the lizardfolk monk) returned to his adopted dragon children immediately after. He was not too sure at returning to his monastery, due to his growing family, and brings word to their steps that he has killed the death dragon, the deed he set out to accomplish in the first place.
-Gullus (the dragonborn barbarian) has made the Caves of Chaos his home, renaming the place the Hermit Caves of Hermitness. He takes care of Flame Tongue’s family when he’s busy with the monastery, but other than that, he’s still mostly a lone wolf.
-Eva (my aasimar cleric) continues to travel the Forgotten Realms, learning more about the ancient past and celestials, and sharing knowledge acting as a wandering healer. Helps she’s half-celestial herself. She uses Sending to stay in touch with her friends.
-Tobias (the human wizard) returned to the caves, to clear out the giant spiders as revenge for a traumatic incident that happened on session 1. He currently collects and sells magical goods like material components and magic items.
-Syla (the elven sorcerer) awakened more of her sorcery, sought out her draconic ancestor, a brass dragon, the source of her power, and set out to create a travelling circus of magical creatures.
What does the epilogue of a campaign look like for your character? What about the rest of the party?
I've been playing this character for a while now and I like to roll them from one edition to the next. Since they are an Alchemist, my McGuffin is the Elixir of Youth but for my recipe there isn't the chance of randomly getting older. Instead, I lose my higher functions and have to start over at level one. I have Prof in History to represent my long memory from having been alive in the Realms for about 500 years or so now. Seems to workout alright. Here is my 5.5e backstory/character which has the epilogue: My Alchemist 2024 Rules Background - Story & Lore - Dungeons & Dragons Discussion - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond
For 2nd edition, Baulderian booted me from his Maztics expedition because I refused to commit genocide against the Wild Elves who were in the forest surrounding Fort Flame. The adventure has Baulderian hiring an Alchemist to take over to Fort Flame with the intent of having them create a bunch of Alchemist Fire so he can burn down like everything and then kill the Wild Elves down to the last one. It occurs during his second and final expedition to Maztica and after the Fort Flame part of the adventurer the party is supposed to join him heading north where he is them murdered by the Wild Elves who summon White Whales that kill him. We didn't do the second half of the official adventure and instead just hung out doing stuff around Fort Flame. Then I was booted and the rest of the party got to have this epic battle that killed them all just like in the canonical ending. It was fun and I had a good time watching the fight. The party also was cool with me bailing because I went to cook dinner for everyone while they died alongside Baulderian. This was my shortest campaign and I played it immediately after the 5.5e campaign. Someone wanted to do an AD&D game and I started with 2e AD&D so I was down to fill out my character's backstory.
For 3.5e, my character was still stuck lost somewhere in northern Maztica and then it was transported to Abeir where I stumbled across a ruin with a door that led to Sigil which is where the campaign picked up. My character was trying to find his way home to Faerun but instead I just ended up back in Maztica. It was a really long campaign though because we did a bunch of planar hopping. We visited the elemental planes and had to free some slaves from an Earth Djinni sending them back to the Prime Material by capturing them in a bottle. Then we went to the City of Brass and sold the Djinni but they were going to release it so we had to steal the bottle and then we dropped it into the plane of water losing it forever in those depths. I also used the universal glue to seal the bottle so good luck getting that thing open. Oh, and we each got three wishes out of it. Mine were: Upon my death transport me to a safe location, in the city of Sigil, and revive me. I haven't died so the Wish has never come up in any other campaign. So, we dealt with four Djinni, we were hired by an Air Djinni to capture the Earth one, screwed by a Fire Djinni, and then the Water Djinni helped us because they hated the Fire Djinni. Then we returned to Sigil did something I cannot remember in the city (this was years ago) and then went to Mt. Celestia so our Cleric could do something with their background. They had promised to help an Angel and we were along for the ride. I ranted about how the deities were all false and stupid because I had started worshipping Ao having seen the Sundering. The party found out I was practically immortal thanks to my potions but then we jumped off Mt. Celestia which caused us all to forget what happened on the Celestial plan and into the bottom of the Nine Hells. We ran from a bunch of Devils on each level back up and had to escape on the River Styx into the Abyss from where we transversed the Far Realms. The campaign got weird in the Far Realms because I think our DM was running out of steam plus him and his boyfriend who was playing with us were going through this on again off again thing, so we kept having sessions that got awkward or were canceled. Finally, it ended abruptly with us heading back through a door that took us to the door that brought us to Sigil so again, I ended up back in Maztica. The DM and that player are now married but still fight like an old couple. I see them sometimes when I go to visit my mom in Texas. This was actually my 3rd 3.5e campaign and we did epic levels oh I almost forgot we also fought a small moon on the Astra Sea. The DM had a Majoro's Mask kick and used the whole moon crashing into a planet going on. It was a Genius Loci or whatever that creature is called.
Never played 4e. I had a girlfriend and then basically became a widow because we were going to marry but she had cancer.
For 5e, Maztica is returned to Toril so my character made his way south to New Waterdeep then took a boat to Faerun where I joined a party in Phandalin. I was part of the trade caravan from the beginning and joined them. Then we rolled from that into Out of the Abyss with a full year of downtime between the two adventures, so we pooled our money and hired a ton of NPCs to train as Alchemist brewing just a mad number of potions and opening shops to create a gigantic Alchemical conglomerate. Basically, we opened an MLM style too big to fail company that had it's hands in every city and faction, except the Emerald Enclave because we didn't have a player for that faction. The Harpers recruited m and I resisted it because I try to remain neutral but they were like begging me. I think the DM just wanted people in each faction. We were able to essentially roll over Menzoberranzan. We kept getting away with screwing over the Drow by doing things like busting people out of the prison at the start of the campaign without anyone even knowing it. Rather than starting in prison we had to save one of the party member's father from the prison and I used my Boots of False Tracks to make it appear an ooze got into the prison coupled with Acid to just melt through the bars then gave everyone flight and got them out. It made it appear an ooze got in and ate everyone. Then I saved some low ranking drow matron a whole bunch and she married me because the drow were incapable of dealing with me as well as completely unaware of all the stuff we had done. Plus, I promised to get her on the Ruling Council by murdering several other houses off on the way to the top. The party wasn't exactly thrilled about it but we rationalized that we were still killing the drow of Menzoberranzan and protecting the Realms in doing so.
For 5.5e, I am starting off ruined with my wife having finally out played me. I am now the untouchable Harper who finally screwed up and in a major way. She turned our company into an international drug cartel and it is the largest one Toril has even known.
I am still looking to do a 1e campaign so I can try the OG Alchemist and run through my character's 18-23 years as well as a 4e campaign just so I can fill out the rest of their background.
I've been playing this character for a while now and I like to roll them from one edition to the next. Since they are an Alchemist, my McGuffin is the Elixir of Youth but for my recipe there isn't the chance of randomly getting older. Instead, I lose my higher functions and have to start over at level one. I have Prof in History to represent my long memory from having been alive in the Realms for about 500 years or so now. Seems to workout alright. Here is my 5.5e backstory/character which has the epilogue: My Alchemist 2024 Rules Background - Story & Lore - Dungeons & Dragons Discussion - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond
For 2nd edition, Baulderian booted me from his Maztics expedition because I refused to commit genocide against the Wild Elves who were in the forest surrounding Fort Flame. The adventure has Baulderian hiring an Alchemist to take over to Fort Flame with the intent of having them create a bunch of Alchemist Fire so he can burn down like everything and then kill the Wild Elves down to the last one. It occurs during his second and final expedition to Maztica and after the Fort Flame part of the adventurer the party is supposed to join him heading north where he is them murdered by the Wild Elves who summon White Whales that kill him. We didn't do the second half of the official adventure and instead just hung out doing stuff around Fort Flame. Then I was booted and the rest of the party got to have this epic battle that killed them all just like in the canonical ending. It was fun and I had a good time watching the fight. The party also was cool with me bailing because I went to cook dinner for everyone while they died alongside Baulderian. This was my shortest campaign and I played it immediately after the 5.5e campaign. Someone wanted to do an AD&D game and I started with 2e AD&D so I was down to fill out my character's backstory.
For 3.5e, my character was still stuck lost somewhere in northern Maztica and then it was transported to Abeir where I stumbled across a ruin with a door that led to Sigil which is where the campaign picked up. My character was trying to find his way home to Faerun but instead I just ended up back in Maztica. It was a really long campaign though because we did a bunch of planar hopping. We visited the elemental planes and had to free some slaves from an Earth Djinni sending them back to the Prime Material by capturing them in a bottle. Then we went to the City of Brass and sold the Djinni but they were going to release it so we had to steal the bottle and then we dropped it into the plane of water losing it forever in those depths. I also used the universal glue to seal the bottle so good luck getting that thing open. Oh, and we each got three wishes out of it. Mine were: Upon my death transport me to a safe location, in the city of Sigil, and revive me. I haven't died so the Wish has never come up in any other campaign. So, we dealt with four Djinni, we were hired by an Air Djinni to capture the Earth one, screwed by a Fire Djinni, and then the Water Djinni helped us because they hated the Fire Djinni. Then we returned to Sigil did something I cannot remember in the city (this was years ago) and then went to Mt. Celestia so our Cleric could do something with their background. They had promised to help an Angel and we were along for the ride. I ranted about how the deities were all false and stupid because I had started worshipping Ao having seen the Sundering. The party found out I was practically immortal thanks to my potions but then we jumped off Mt. Celestia which caused us all to forget what happened on the Celestial plan and into the bottom of the Nine Hells. We ran from a bunch of Devils on each level back up and had to escape on the River Styx into the Abyss from where we transversed the Far Realms. The campaign got weird in the Far Realms because I think our DM was running out of steam plus him and his boyfriend who was playing with us were going through this on again off again thing, so we kept having sessions that got awkward or were canceled. Finally, it ended abruptly with us heading back through a door that took us to the door that brought us to Sigil so again, I ended up back in Maztica. The DM and that player are now married but still fight like an old couple. I see them sometimes when I go to visit my mom in Texas. This was actually my 3rd 3.5e campaign and we did epic levels oh I almost forgot we also fought a small moon on the Astra Sea. The DM had a Majoro's Mask kick and used the whole moon crashing into a planet going on. It was a Genius Loci or whatever that creature is called.
Never played 4e. I had a girlfriend and then basically became a widow because we were going to marry but she had cancer.
For 5e, Maztica is returned to Toril so my character made his way south to New Waterdeep then took a boat to Faerun where I joined a party in Phandalin. I was part of the trade caravan from the beginning and joined them. Then we rolled from that into Out of the Abyss with a full year of downtime between the two adventures, so we pooled our money and hired a ton of NPCs to train as Alchemist brewing just a mad number of potions and opening shops to create a gigantic Alchemical conglomerate. Basically, we opened an MLM style too big to fail company that had it's hands in every city and faction, except the Emerald Enclave because we didn't have a player for that faction. The Harpers recruited m and I resisted it because I try to remain neutral but they were like begging me. I think the DM just wanted people in each faction. We were able to essentially roll over Menzoberranzan. We kept getting away with screwing over the Drow by doing things like busting people out of the prison at the start of the campaign without anyone even knowing it. Rather than starting in prison we had to save one of the party member's father from the prison and I used my Boots of False Tracks to make it appear an ooze got into the prison coupled with Acid to just melt through the bars then gave everyone flight and got them out. It made it appear an ooze got in and ate everyone. Then I saved some low ranking drow matron a whole bunch and she married me because the drow were incapable of dealing with me as well as completely unaware of all the stuff we had done. Plus, I promised to get her on the Ruling Council by murdering several other houses off on the way to the top. The party wasn't exactly thrilled about it but we rationalized that we were still killing the drow of Menzoberranzan and protecting the Realms in doing so.
For 5.5e, I am starting off ruined with my wife having finally out played me. I am now the untouchable Harper who finally screwed up and in a major way. She turned our company into an international drug cartel and it is the largest one Toril has even known.
I am still looking to do a 1e campaign so I can try the OG Alchemist and run through my character's 18-23 years as well as a 4e campaign just so I can fill out the rest of their background.
So basically, you have a character that is basically Doctor Who and was alive throughout all editions. Really cool.
Nah, I don't time travel. I just keep sipping off those [items]Potion of Longevity[items] but again I treat the one I make as a Legendary Item rather than a rare because it is stronger as well as doesn't have the chance to backfire because I based mine on the Elixir of Life which came from a spring on the Isle of Moonshae. The spring dried up sometime in the early 14DR but an Alchemist of any merit should know how to synthase components. Plus, it is just a mcguffin to re-age my character between editions so I can continue to be an Alchemist.
I also used their 5e period to set up the campaign I DM. I had a good zombie apocalypse campaign I ran based on the 3.5e rules but it got dated so I migrated to 5e and then 5.5e to run a new one: Story: New Hym - Story & Lore - Dungeons & Dragons Discussion - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond - Although, I did do massive re-writes and the colony is now called New Fork which is part of the Thirteen Colonies of Amratica, which is somewhere along the uncharted the northeastern coast of Maztica also known as Eyulkos to the native Wild Elves. I hadn't fully fleshed it all out when it started but so far, I've had 20 groups play through the campaign and one is currently playing through now. Each time I take the combine Charisma Modifiers of the party and that is how many Skilled NPCs are on board the ship to the Colony with the party plus five Unskilled NPCs per party member so the party will have people for their Bastions and people for the Colony who operate their own shops. Here is an example of a current Skilled NPC Colonist.
Ulyes Crody Trade: Painter
Personality: I like to read and memorize poetry. It keeps me calm and brings me fleeting moments of happiness and I refuse to become a victim, and I will not allow others to be victimized.
Ideal: I’m a monster that destroys other monsters, and anything else that gets in my way. (Evil)
Bond: A terrible guilt consumes me. I hope that I can find redemption through my actions.
Flaw: I have certain rituals that I must follow every day. I can never break them.
The DCs below are bits of information the party can find out about this character and can be achieved in several different ways. Apply the DC if the player's skill check to learn more about the character seems appropriate during a given the situation.
DC 10 - I am was never an orphan but I grew up distant from the rest of my family who raised me without really paying any attention. As such I find more comfort in reading and painting what I see than talking or forming social connections.
DC 15 - I use Tansabra at least once a day to stave off the symptoms of withdrawal. I claim I am not an addict and that I enjoy it because I refuse to be the victim of some drug.
DC 20 - My best friend died of a Tansabra overdose and I now use it to temporarily escape the horrific memory of finding them dead. It is the vicious cycle I am stuck in.
DC 25 - Redacted, party has not uncovered this information.
I think New Fork has a population of about 4,001 slaves and at this point maybe 8,000 or 9,000 Colonist. Per my character's backstory Matron (Lady) T'zarah of House Vahadarr created these plantations in the True World to harvest components for the MLM she stole from my Alchemist, Big Pharma. Those who enlist as "Colonist" from around the Realms are really just slaves for the plantations which are operated by the true Colonist, the Ratkin or Ratish. I am not sure on the name because the Homebrew keeps breaking and giving me a 500 error when I try to access it. I thought by changing the name it might unbreak and I've been working with Support on it. Nonetheless, the species my Alchemist theorized creating but avoided because he thought it would be inhumane to Create Monster using Alchemy to get around Mystra's restrictions on magic only for his drow wife who stole his Alchemist Journal to create because she doesn't care about Mystra.
Ratish are not a true race; they are the result of horrific genetic experimentation on giant rats and deep gnomes. Every Ratish knows the story even if the specifics are blurred or contradictory. Often the facts of their history as a species are manipulated in a way which would best suit the individual Ratish, but generally it involves a cruel ancient "Netherese wizard" who used their powers to alter the genetics of giant rats and svirfneblin so that they could be forcibly crossbred. These stories often include a progenitor Ratish named the ‘Rat King’ also known as 'King Rat' who liberated their species by blowing up the mythallar their master owned or describe a tale of a horrific genocide resulting in only the strongest two of their species surviving from whom they are all descendants. Although they became liberated only the ‘Rat King’ it can breed others of their species whom he has dubbed ‘Lords’ who are themselves capable of producing other Ratish; however, the Ratish they produce are incapable of breeding creating a natural population bottleneck.
Hated by other races, the Ratish learned to band together, surviving on the scraps and trash of other races while they transversed the Faerunian diaspora led by their ‘King’ seeking a cure for their affliction. During these travels before any of their species save their ‘King’ can remember they encountered one of the noble houses of the Drow of Menzoberranzan who because of their shared animosity for the surface dwellers took them in. It just so happens that the leader of the house was also secretly the owner of the largest generic alchemical producer in Faerun and through-out all the Underdark. She came into control of the company by assuming the identity of a legendary human alchemist who was fooled into becoming her husband allowing her to steal his Alchemical conglomerate, fortune, and his menagerie of lab experiments. Eager to find a cure through alchemical means, the Ratish embraced an alliance and under the direction of the Drow the Ratish began making a handful of very common potions her company distributed highly addictive. After a few years, the addicts who were unfortunate enough to imbibe one of these addictive potions instead of a normal one along with the incarcerated, homeless, debt ridden, unwanted, as well as young adventurers gullible enough to agree to it were tricked into selling themselves into slavery as ‘colonist’ through various fake companies offering them redemption on the far away continent of Maztica. These poor souls would board ships to sail for three months or sometimes more across the ocean to an untamed, unmapped, frontier without means of communication nor teleportation circles or other means which would allow them to easily return or warn others. Upon arrival the memories of each colonist were wiped during processing and for a few who already were adept at sailing new ones were implanted to ferry more ‘colonist’ to Maztica while the others were sent to the plantation to work or made to construct the settlement. No one would miss these indentured peoples, nor would they miss anyone.
Thirteen colonies each controlled by a local ‘Lord’ Ratish along the northeastern coast of Maztica known as Eyulkos to the native Wild Elves or colloquially as Amratica among the Ratish were built each to support the plantations of the Drow exporting some of the rarest and strongest alchemical components on all of Toril. Certain species of flora and fauna being completely alien having come from a lost planet known as Abeir, could only be located on the continent of Maztica. So, it was for several years and all of it unknown to all but the most esteemed Drow until very recently a rumor began to spread that the human alchemist married to the Drow who promised to help their 'King' find a cure appeared in the colony of New Fork providing the cure they had sought. Only it wasn’t the doing of the Drow or their ‘King’. He claimed the exact opposite, that they had stolen his notes to create their species and that they had the cure all along but refused to give it to them. It wasn't a curse but something that was engineered into them when they were created as a means of control. This alchemist then taught them how to make the cure for themselves, allowing all Ratish to breed and not just the nobility! As a result, a fledgling group of Ratish scattered about the colonies have begun discussing rebelling believing their 'King' has been intentionally stifling their population as a means of maintaining power to form their own nation, the United Colonies of Amratica, ruled by popular vote and exploitative capitalist enterprise.
Physical Description: Ratish generally look like humanoid rats, roughly gnome size with a rat’s head and tail and covered in hairy fur. This unfortunately makes them resemble wererats and many Ratish are routinely wiped out during a wererat infestation.
Before you is the horrible amalgamation between both a dire rat and a gnome. Despite many common gnomish mannerisms such as predominantly walking around upright on the hind legs, the beast is still extremely rat-like. Hunched over the creature stands shorter than a kobold with little doubt that it would continue to be more diminutive in stature even if it could stand fully erect. The fur that covers the creature is molted with little life other than the grease and grime that coats the pelt. The filth that covers the hair of the vermin does provide some respite as it seemingly muffles the putrid smell permeating into the surrounding ozone. Filling the twisted gullet of the thing are several jagged teeth which appear to have a lethally sharp point. Noticeable discolored saliva, no doubt carrying a plethora of diseases, constantly swirls around the long tongue of the rodent. Sunken deep into the skull of the varmint behind their long nose are a pair of beady red eyes filled with constant irritation, anger, and contempt. They are approximately 26 inches tall and weigh 30lbs.
Society: Ratish tend to form small tribes or bands, living in areas that other races avoid. In the cities, Ratish congregate in slums or sewers or infest the walls of buildings making them excellent spies. While Ratish appreciate protective laws, they are unconvinced that the authorities have their interests at heart splitting their society between loyalist to their King often referred to as the "control group" by the Drow and revolutionaries who seek democracy. The 'Lords' and their retinue are extremely well armed and equipped often with heavily enchanted items or masterwork equipment from their 'King' ensuring their loyalty. Opposite of the upper crust those within the revolutionary forces are extremely poorly equipped and often sparsely armed but ferociously passionate, inspiring others to their cause. Of course, just like the Loyalist they often find their efforts being thwarted by those who are disloyal enough to join their ranks as each one thinks they are more intelligent than the other or better in some other way making them an ideal leader. Due to this quarrelsome nature the revolutionaries have agreed, for now at least, that once they are liberated from their 'King' who lives with the Drow across the ocean in Menzoberranzan they should have a government based on democracy or what they call democraty. Instead of killing each other to gain power they can vote on it coupled with a free market economy so that corporations can rise and fall based on profits rather than blood. However passionate the revolutionaries might be they are very disorganized, and not nearly as well equipped as the 'Lords' and their loyal retinue who have managed to maintain control over the other Ratish who see to the slaves they have imported from Faerun to Maztica and other daily operations. As a result, there is strong stratification of power between the peasant and ruling classes of their society.
Regardless of their politics they believe that the institution of slavery enacted by the Drow is inefficient due to their extreme cruelty for the sake of being cruel. Although treatment of slaves may be marginally better the expectations and working hours tend to be much more extreme as the Ratish often run experiments to try to improve productivity. Ratish overseers will trick their slaves into drink potions of haste to increase their speed or running trials to see how long a particular species can survive under certain conditions so that they can force the rest to work almost to the point of death. In Ratish society the whip will not be what keeps their slaves in line instead they have employed 'wage slavery' by fooling their slaves into thinking they are earning a living while toiling away by paying wages in useless paper money. A mind-altering scheme, alchemical solution, or Rube Goldberg type of social mechanism engineered from behind the walls of their colonies are their preferred sources of work motivation when the illusion of pay via paper money alone is not enough. Slaves are commonly unknowing participants as the Ratish work in secret to keep their slaves productive often convincing other slaves to do their bidding without them even being aware of it. A slave may contract some illnesses the Ratish gave them in secret, then provided a cure for it by a local shop within the colony that they must pay for using the paper money they slaved away for only for that cure to be highly addictive forcing them to work even longer hours to earn enough to facilitate their newfound addiction.
As a society they are highly competitive and see obtaining wealth only to see it rot as the measure of someone’s worth resulting in rampant capitalist exploitation. The most esteemed Ratish may own enchanted items, often extremely rare ones that they have intentionally disenchanted and left to rust as a trophy. This does not mean that the Ratish will not keep items enchanted, quite the opposite as they are extremely progressive as Artificers due to being a species born from Alchemy. However, those they do not need or objects of exceptional desire are reserved for decay. If a Ratish was to find the Hand of Vecna for example they would disenchant it to keep as a trophy incurring the rage of all others who desired it and they would probably secretly let them know it has been disenchanted just for the sake of making them angry. Then they would try to create something equally as horribly powerful just to make those who were happy about the item being destroyed equally as angry. This includes their finest of slaves whom they often force into working in competitions based on productivity metrics until they die.
Relations: Ratish tend to get along with no one but will manipulate other “outcast” races, such as ogres, orcs, and sahuagin or any species that is a minority in the geographic area through whatever means necessary to obtain what they want. As Ratish have a reputation for being dirty disease carriers, most give them a wide berth. Still, a Ratish may be tolerated when isolated from other Ratish, and their skills often determine their worth.
Alignment and Religion: As a created species, the Ratish do not necessarily have a patron deity. Instead, Ratish worship a living progenitor known as the Rat King or King Rat who took upon themselves the curse of immortal life in order to preserve the species after committing a genocide against all Ratish of inferior genetic composition leaving only himself and the Rat Queen or Queen Rat who similarly took upon herself the curse of never-ending life to ensure only the fittest of their species survives. Due to a genetic mutation from the magical experimentation at the hands of their former overlord, they are the only two Ratish able to still produce offspring as - other first generation or noble Ratish can only produce second generation or common Ratish in order to extend the longevity of the species. Despite this the progenitor being generally believed and known by all Ratish their approach formal religion as they do everything else; they generally worship deities that have been discarded or fallen out of favor within a particular pantheon typically preferring one who would enrage or annoy someone else the most. Ratish priests occupy abandoned temples to such deities and fuse old remnants of rituals with Ratish philosophy ensuring to invoke the ire of any who might still be faithful. Ratish tend to be neutral in alignment and rarely if ever good.
Adventurers: Ratish favor speed and stealth over brute force and martial Ratish tend to be ranger and swashbucklers. This also accounts for there being more Ratish priests than clerics (and, since Ratish don’t feel a connection to the natural world, few are druid or shamans). As befitting a species of scavengers, a large number of Ratish are rogues. While magically created, Ratish have had little interbreeding and as such arcane casters tend to be wizards rather than sorcerers and warlocks. Favored most among Ratish however is the artificer due to it being the cause of their creation.
Ratish Traits
Ratish are not a true race; they are the result of pseudo-magical genetic experimentation on giant rats and deep gnomes.
Carrier
If a Ratish loses or chooses to lose their saving throw against a disease, they become a carrier of that disease and can transmit the disease through physical contact. Upon making a successful sleight of hand attempt or by making a successful unarmed strike the target must make a Constitution saving throw DC (8 + the Ratish's Constitution Modifier + the Ratish's Proficiency Modifier) or become infected by one of the diseases currently being carried by the Ratish. Afterwards the Ratish is no longer a carrier of that disease. The Ratish may carry a number of diseases equal to their Proficiency Modifier at any given time, and they can only be cleansed of their diseases by spending a Short Rest bathing or upon transmitting them all to others in this way.
Darkvision
This creature has darkvision out to a range of 60 feet. A monster with darkvision can see in the dark within a specific radius. The monster can see in dim light within the radius as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. The monster can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray. Many creatures that live underground have this special sense.
Extermination Survivor
Due to being frequent carriers of diseases and having survived several attempts of extermination Ratish are immune to disease and resistant to poison.
Ability Bonuses
+1 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence, -1 Strength: Ratish are quick in both body and mind, but physically weak.
Of course, there are subspecies such as City Rats, Sewer Rats, Sea Rats, Farm Rats etc. Each serves a different purpose. Like City Rats live in the walls of the city of Mousehatten, New Fork. The city is built up by Skytoppers or this tall buildings with thick but hollow walls to "support the structure" whereas Sewer Rats live under the streets to quietly move stuff around. And this is the real threat because the current party just learned without realizing it the Rats who are rebelling from King Rat to form the United Colonies of Amratica have stolen my Alchemist Journal from T'zarah in Menzoberranzan and now know of the Red Dragon I hatched: Herbertologiiktantar - Monsters - Homebrew - D&D Beyond - who is now addicted to various substances which are exported from the Colonies. The rebellion is about to take off around the party who are hunting for their lost memories in the New Fork City. They won't even realize they are at war. They're just going to have a huge gang war like Gangs of New York at the Five Points with the Loyalist Rats and the "Ratolutationaries" using other people to fight the war for them. I'm super excited!
Last campaign, we played as an aasimar cleric (me), a dragonborn barbarian, a elven sorcerer, a human wizard, and a lizardfolk monk. We had:
-Defeated the Cult of Chaos and eliminated its leadership.
-Killed the nothic who gave the Cult their book, secured the book, and gave it to the local lord for safe keeping.
-Moved out the Caves of Chaos, as 5 level 5s were becoming obviously too powerful.
-Fought an army of undead, and eliminated the death dragon at lv 6.
Thus, we went our separate ways. Here’s each of our epilogues:
-Flame Tongue (the lizardfolk monk) returned to his adopted dragon children immediately after. He was not too sure at returning to his monastery, due to his growing family, and brings word to their steps that he has killed the death dragon, the deed he set out to accomplish in the first place.
-Gullus (the dragonborn barbarian) has made the Caves of Chaos his home, renaming the place the Hermit Caves of Hermitness. He takes care of Flame Tongue’s family when he’s busy with the monastery, but other than that, he’s still mostly a lone wolf.
-Eva (my aasimar cleric) continues to travel the Forgotten Realms, learning more about the ancient past and celestials, and sharing knowledge acting as a wandering healer. Helps she’s half-celestial herself. She uses Sending to stay in touch with her friends.
-Tobias (the human wizard) returned to the caves, to clear out the giant spiders as revenge for a traumatic incident that happened on session 1. He currently collects and sells magical goods like material components and magic items.
-Syla (the elven sorcerer) awakened more of her sorcery, sought out her draconic ancestor, a brass dragon, the source of her power, and set out to create a travelling circus of magical creatures.
What does the epilogue of a campaign look like for your character? What about the rest of the party?
I've been playing this character for a while now and I like to roll them from one edition to the next. Since they are an Alchemist, my McGuffin is the Elixir of Youth but for my recipe there isn't the chance of randomly getting older. Instead, I lose my higher functions and have to start over at level one. I have Prof in History to represent my long memory from having been alive in the Realms for about 500 years or so now. Seems to workout alright. Here is my 5.5e backstory/character which has the epilogue: My Alchemist 2024 Rules Background - Story & Lore - Dungeons & Dragons Discussion - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond
For 2nd edition, Baulderian booted me from his Maztics expedition because I refused to commit genocide against the Wild Elves who were in the forest surrounding Fort Flame. The adventure has Baulderian hiring an Alchemist to take over to Fort Flame with the intent of having them create a bunch of Alchemist Fire so he can burn down like everything and then kill the Wild Elves down to the last one. It occurs during his second and final expedition to Maztica and after the Fort Flame part of the adventurer the party is supposed to join him heading north where he is them murdered by the Wild Elves who summon White Whales that kill him. We didn't do the second half of the official adventure and instead just hung out doing stuff around Fort Flame. Then I was booted and the rest of the party got to have this epic battle that killed them all just like in the canonical ending. It was fun and I had a good time watching the fight. The party also was cool with me bailing because I went to cook dinner for everyone while they died alongside Baulderian. This was my shortest campaign and I played it immediately after the 5.5e campaign. Someone wanted to do an AD&D game and I started with 2e AD&D so I was down to fill out my character's backstory.
For 3.5e, my character was still stuck lost somewhere in northern Maztica and then it was transported to Abeir where I stumbled across a ruin with a door that led to Sigil which is where the campaign picked up. My character was trying to find his way home to Faerun but instead I just ended up back in Maztica. It was a really long campaign though because we did a bunch of planar hopping. We visited the elemental planes and had to free some slaves from an Earth Djinni sending them back to the Prime Material by capturing them in a bottle. Then we went to the City of Brass and sold the Djinni but they were going to release it so we had to steal the bottle and then we dropped it into the plane of water losing it forever in those depths. I also used the universal glue to seal the bottle so good luck getting that thing open. Oh, and we each got three wishes out of it. Mine were: Upon my death transport me to a safe location, in the city of Sigil, and revive me. I haven't died so the Wish has never come up in any other campaign. So, we dealt with four Djinni, we were hired by an Air Djinni to capture the Earth one, screwed by a Fire Djinni, and then the Water Djinni helped us because they hated the Fire Djinni. Then we returned to Sigil did something I cannot remember in the city (this was years ago) and then went to Mt. Celestia so our Cleric could do something with their background. They had promised to help an Angel and we were along for the ride. I ranted about how the deities were all false and stupid because I had started worshipping Ao having seen the Sundering. The party found out I was practically immortal thanks to my potions but then we jumped off Mt. Celestia which caused us all to forget what happened on the Celestial plan and into the bottom of the Nine Hells. We ran from a bunch of Devils on each level back up and had to escape on the River Styx into the Abyss from where we transversed the Far Realms. The campaign got weird in the Far Realms because I think our DM was running out of steam plus him and his boyfriend who was playing with us were going through this on again off again thing, so we kept having sessions that got awkward or were canceled. Finally, it ended abruptly with us heading back through a door that took us to the door that brought us to Sigil so again, I ended up back in Maztica. The DM and that player are now married but still fight like an old couple. I see them sometimes when I go to visit my mom in Texas. This was actually my 3rd 3.5e campaign and we did epic levels oh I almost forgot we also fought a small moon on the Astra Sea. The DM had a Majoro's Mask kick and used the whole moon crashing into a planet going on. It was a Genius Loci or whatever that creature is called.
Never played 4e. I had a girlfriend and then basically became a widow because we were going to marry but she had cancer.
For 5e, Maztica is returned to Toril so my character made his way south to New Waterdeep then took a boat to Faerun where I joined a party in Phandalin. I was part of the trade caravan from the beginning and joined them. Then we rolled from that into Out of the Abyss with a full year of downtime between the two adventures, so we pooled our money and hired a ton of NPCs to train as Alchemist brewing just a mad number of potions and opening shops to create a gigantic Alchemical conglomerate. Basically, we opened an MLM style too big to fail company that had it's hands in every city and faction, except the Emerald Enclave because we didn't have a player for that faction. The Harpers recruited m and I resisted it because I try to remain neutral but they were like begging me. I think the DM just wanted people in each faction. We were able to essentially roll over Menzoberranzan. We kept getting away with screwing over the Drow by doing things like busting people out of the prison at the start of the campaign without anyone even knowing it. Rather than starting in prison we had to save one of the party member's father from the prison and I used my Boots of False Tracks to make it appear an ooze got into the prison coupled with Acid to just melt through the bars then gave everyone flight and got them out. It made it appear an ooze got in and ate everyone. Then I saved some low ranking drow matron a whole bunch and she married me because the drow were incapable of dealing with me as well as completely unaware of all the stuff we had done. Plus, I promised to get her on the Ruling Council by murdering several other houses off on the way to the top. The party wasn't exactly thrilled about it but we rationalized that we were still killing the drow of Menzoberranzan and protecting the Realms in doing so.
For 5.5e, I am starting off ruined with my wife having finally out played me. I am now the untouchable Harper who finally screwed up and in a major way. She turned our company into an international drug cartel and it is the largest one Toril has even known.
I am still looking to do a 1e campaign so I can try the OG Alchemist and run through my character's 18-23 years as well as a 4e campaign just so I can fill out the rest of their background.
"Life is Cast by Random Dice"
Burn my candle twice.
I have done my life justice
Against random dice.
So basically, you have a character that is basically Doctor Who and was alive throughout all editions. Really cool.
Nah, I don't time travel. I just keep sipping off those [items]Potion of Longevity[items] but again I treat the one I make as a Legendary Item rather than a rare because it is stronger as well as doesn't have the chance to backfire because I based mine on the Elixir of Life which came from a spring on the Isle of Moonshae. The spring dried up sometime in the early 14DR but an Alchemist of any merit should know how to synthase components. Plus, it is just a mcguffin to re-age my character between editions so I can continue to be an Alchemist.
I also used their 5e period to set up the campaign I DM. I had a good zombie apocalypse campaign I ran based on the 3.5e rules but it got dated so I migrated to 5e and then 5.5e to run a new one: Story: New Hym - Story & Lore - Dungeons & Dragons Discussion - D&D Beyond Forums - D&D Beyond - Although, I did do massive re-writes and the colony is now called New Fork which is part of the Thirteen Colonies of Amratica, which is somewhere along the uncharted the northeastern coast of Maztica also known as Eyulkos to the native Wild Elves. I hadn't fully fleshed it all out when it started but so far, I've had 20 groups play through the campaign and one is currently playing through now. Each time I take the combine Charisma Modifiers of the party and that is how many Skilled NPCs are on board the ship to the Colony with the party plus five Unskilled NPCs per party member so the party will have people for their Bastions and people for the Colony who operate their own shops. Here is an example of a current Skilled NPC Colonist.
I think New Fork has a population of about 4,001 slaves and at this point maybe 8,000 or 9,000 Colonist. Per my character's backstory Matron (Lady) T'zarah of House Vahadarr created these plantations in the True World to harvest components for the MLM she stole from my Alchemist, Big Pharma. Those who enlist as "Colonist" from around the Realms are really just slaves for the plantations which are operated by the true Colonist, the Ratkin or Ratish. I am not sure on the name because the Homebrew keeps breaking and giving me a 500 error when I try to access it. I thought by changing the name it might unbreak and I've been working with Support on it. Nonetheless, the species my Alchemist theorized creating but avoided because he thought it would be inhumane to Create Monster using Alchemy to get around Mystra's restrictions on magic only for his drow wife who stole his Alchemist Journal to create because she doesn't care about Mystra.
Of course, there are subspecies such as City Rats, Sewer Rats, Sea Rats, Farm Rats etc. Each serves a different purpose. Like City Rats live in the walls of the city of Mousehatten, New Fork. The city is built up by Skytoppers or this tall buildings with thick but hollow walls to "support the structure" whereas Sewer Rats live under the streets to quietly move stuff around. And this is the real threat because the current party just learned without realizing it the Rats who are rebelling from King Rat to form the United Colonies of Amratica have stolen my Alchemist Journal from T'zarah in Menzoberranzan and now know of the Red Dragon I hatched: Herbertologiiktantar - Monsters - Homebrew - D&D Beyond - who is now addicted to various substances which are exported from the Colonies. The rebellion is about to take off around the party who are hunting for their lost memories in the New Fork City. They won't even realize they are at war. They're just going to have a huge gang war like Gangs of New York at the Five Points with the Loyalist Rats and the "Ratolutationaries" using other people to fight the war for them. I'm super excited!
"Life is Cast by Random Dice"
Burn my candle twice.
I have done my life justice
Against random dice.