I think that looks great! Just opinions ... but, the things I would focus on are:
It's a default face and expression which looks lazy and that facial expression is entirely out of place (i mentioned the importance of this to you before)
Extra limbs on the main model goes with the spider theme. Making two of those amputated limbs feels like a weird choice. So does making those amputated limbs that are mostly clipping into two of the other arms. I would separate those and give it four distinct sets of limbs (2 legs, 4 arms, 2 spider appendages on the back)
Magic can be anything. Making the the arrow out of bone is interesting. It's a detail most people wouldn't notice. You may want to pick another material, or alter it. This is minor, and what you have is fine. I would use the two color options on that if I wanted bone. Make it look like magic forming from the hand which is turning into bone at the tip of the arrow ... maybe.
The chestnut hair color is a little too shiny. I would tone that down some. As an aside, using hair for the spider is perfect! (I mentioned the hair shine thing to you before)
The truffle black hair color is also a little too shiny. In general ... ALWAYS tone down the shine on hair. (I mentioned the shine on hair to you before)
Lining all three (rider, mount, baby) up directly on top of each other doesn't seem ideal. Take the baby spider and whatever is going on with it and place it even a little off to the side.
Also, adjust the facing of that baby spider a little so it isn't facing the exact same direction as the adult spider and that spider's rider. Things rarely are perfectly straight on to what they're looking at, and often the eyes are looking at an angle to where the head is looking. This kind of detail will make things look more realistic.
The blackhorn you're using for the tip of the spider's legs is great. It's got an awesome light colored highlight on top. That's something you may want to bring into the hair on the spider to give it the same lighting treatment.
Be REALLY sure you want to go with black and red for the rider. Experiment with some other color combinations. Black and red is where almost everyone goes for stuff and it can be played out. Sometimes it's perfect for what you're trying to do. But, make sure, and be aware that you're making a black and red evil looking mini in a SEA of black and red evil looking minis. When people are starting out ... they tend to rely really heavily on black and red, which makes this look more basic (that's not a bad thing inherently). (I mentioned the cliche black and red combo to you before)
Throw some decals in there, man. Examine what you can do for the face. Think about a splatter somewhere (this doesn't have to be blood, it can look like webbing, it can look like goo, it can look like dirt or dust or snow). Consider decals on the clothing to make the clothing less plain (this can be a subtle color variation). (I mentioned the value of decals to you before)
You haven't painted the boots or the pants (pants are not visible unless you rotate the model and look up the robes ... so the legs are less important ... but you've gotta paint the boots, man).
You haven't painted two small bits at the booty of the little spider (these are easy to miss).
The whole thing is basically three colors ... black and red, with a little white. You've got a little bit of yellow with the belt and the yellow tones on the spider legs (love this yellow). You may want SOME kind of other color going on, man.
There's no paint on the inside of the large spider's mouth.
There's no paint on the large bulbs on either side of the tiny spider's head.
There is a point where the eyes are looking. There is a point where the magic spell is going. I would make those two places the same.
warforged draconic sorcerer or something Grung related also that contest idea is great does anyone else want to do one how about we do bbegs contest or something or like we make our characters evil or we make like charchters but with no custom colors and we can’t alter the colors at all also dude that design you sent both actually are pretty awesome
When you had asked for some tips previous I gave several model creation exercises that can be fun. Pick a character and make them. It won't be perfect in Heroforge. Just give it a go.
Adina Porter (from shows like True Blood and American Horror Story. She's got pretty distinct facial features. This was my first attempt to get better at doing african american looking characters, and I've got other for other ethnic backgrounds) https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52815027/
And I did a REALLY QUICK touch up the spider thing you presented. Pull both up side by side. I tried to keep the changes minimal, so it's mostly subtle changes. The overall color scheme skews darker. It's no longer red/black. There are no unpainted pieces. There isn't a default expression. There is a single point you can move the camera to and see exactly where the focus of attention is (where the eyes and magic are going). The colors no longer look wet. It really is mostly just subtle changes. Like ... the eggs aren't a pristine white ... they now have a yellow/green tinge to them. The brown hair was given a lighter highlight up top to match the darker color at the tips of spider legs. There are decals on the clothing and face for depth. The robes are now a super dark green (nearly black) with a fairly black pattern in them. The bolt was reworked to be a fire bolt or one of the scorching ray blasts. The spider eye color was reworked to give it more depth. There's still plenty of room for improvement. I think I went too dark with it. The hope was that the couple of bright spots would offset, but I don't think it was enough. Also, the whole thing still needs to be rotated. There's a default direction things are "supposed" to face and it doesn't do it right by default. When you save a mini the preview and the camera angle when it's first loaded ... SHOULD be the focal point of the piece, not off at an angle. In this case it means moving the mini and both of the extras under the spider mount. https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=59607737/
If you're just looking for something to do and you don't want to do the things I suggested ... work on color experiments, or motion experiments, or facial expression experiments, or get comfortable making female characters, or get comfortable making non caucasian based characters .... take each one of the figures I've presented in this entire thread since it opened a year ago ... and do your own variation of each. You can do that by taking the original and making changes ... or starting from scratch.
Feel free to start a new thread. Post the original mini. Post your version of it and ask for feedback. Or, just post them. Or, just make a bunch of figures and don't post them. But, there are ... at least 3 dozen or more figures in this thread now. You can make your own version of each of them.
a campgain that i might be playing in this is the first wave of minis i had to do anyone got any tips or suggstions
A lot of these are fairly monochromatic. Look up some color charts to see which colors go with other colors. You'll want to learn or relearn about primary, secondary, and tertiary colors. AI can be useful for this. You can also use the general color themes in the color section and modify these as you see fit. But, try to avoid making EVERYTHING the same color. The first figure is like 90% red. The second figure is less monochromatic, but you did go out of your way to give a mostly yellow figure yellow eyes and that's wild. And, the third figure is like 80% brown (it looks like it could be made out of chocolate). The faces you're using seem mostly default (they're not, I can see one has a cleft chin). This gives the figure on the left and the figure out the right the same face with different hair and colors. Make these unique in some way. A bigger jawline. A tiny unheroic chin. A roman nose. Some differentiation. This becomes more important when they're next to one another ... unless your intention was that these are related.
I think a lot of guys fall into this trap as they're learning how to coordinate color. Things do not have to all be the same color to match. It's good that you're thinking about how to match color though. For sure.
I'm having to guess on some of the details. I don't pay for hero forge so I can't see details on kitbashed characters.
Red -
It looks like every clothing part is leather, but some of those pieces are definitely supposed to be cloth. Making one thing out of another material isn't a bad thing. But, a little variation will go a long way, man.
I don't know what's going on with the left eye. It looks like maybe it's supposed to be ... damaged/blind. You can do that by coloring the eyes differently. Often when an eye is damaged what you'll see is something less colorful, but still something going on in there. There are also decals for scars that could be used to show damage around the eye which would help this read more clearly. You can color the two eyes independently and use the color scaling to show an eye with more cloudiness ... instead of just pure white.
White strip on the back looks like it's unpainted ... or I'm assuming you would have painted it red like everything else.
Gold -
All of the clothing is pretty much the same color. Go for a little variation. Even still sticking with browns. Get some lighter or darker shades in there. Is it really a brown leather vest over the brown leather vest? Could the inner vest be cloth with a little color (for god's sake ... not yellow or brown and also avoid black or red cloth).
I love the pose you have.
You forgot to paint the tail.
Brown -
It's a sea of nearly the same colors here. All the clothing is brown. All the skin is the exact same shade. Man, even the eyes are red, and the horns are red. It looks like you had two crayons to use to color this in.
Everything looks pretty wet. Increase the roughness and things will be less shiny.
Sword in the right hand is being held backwards with the blade pointing in the wrong direction. 180 degrees off.
Sword in the left hand is held in some really bizarre way. The blade is like 95-100 degrees off (just over 90).
The guts color you used to color the magic on the sword to look like blood works. This could be modified slightly. A little less shiny. A little less bright.
Every single part of both swords is the exact same color. Change that up a little, man. You can even keep them both gold (even though gold is a really terrible metal for swords because it's so soft ... whatever ... fantasy). Use different shades of gold. Is the leather handle REALLY the exact same shade of gold as the blade?
Nothing wrong with the clothing and gear you've got selected for each of them (it looks a little like the red one has clown shoes on with how bulbous they are .. that's not wrong ... it's just a little weird, but weird can be ok).
It's good to recognize that not every thing that CAN be colored differently needs to be colored differently. Some people go crazy with that and every single thing is a totally new color. But, you're on the opposite end. and it's still an issue. You want to find yourself in the middle.
I went looking for characters I built out that were mostly the same color as examples of how to add variation.
This is a very early figure I made it's SUPER basic and not as creative as I would be if I made it again today. You can see it's MOSTLY the same couple of colors. https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=20708488/ There are 3 leather colors in the top. These leathers mesh into the chain skirt and the boots. And, also the handles for the weapons. These are broken up with other colors and materials. And, there's a set of clothing leggings that are in the same color palette but stand out between the skirt and shin guards. Things on this are still too basic. the hair looks wet and there isn't enough complexity going on.
This was looking WAY too brown when I was working on it. Leathers and woods. https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52500915/ The pop of blues and greens helped a lot. Things can be realistic, and have matching colors without everything looking the same. The same colors in the top armor are found in the boots and gloves. But, the legs are a different shade of brown in the same wheelhouse.
This is largely a sea of grey. https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52553665/ Now, if the bulk of the figure is one article of clothing (a hooded coat or robe) most of what you have WILL look pretty similar. I was trying to give the visual impression of an old world plague doctor. So, white was the core theme. The boots, belt, gloves and mask are a darker, grungy, dingy white. Something to look weathered. Then reminiscent of doctor robes the rest was a light grey with some yellow tones. Cooler blue tones were used elsewhere. A little metallic red on some other parts and some tiny splashes of color with gems and vials (and the magic inscriptions on the pages).
Robed characters can often have fewer colors going on. https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52504065/ The robes and gloves all share three colors. It's not a lot! But, we've got other colors brought in as splashes of color with the magic, the caldron and the squirrel.
Mostly grey and white https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52503471/ In this you'll see mostly the same 3 colors repeated. Greys and whites. But, there is some variation in that. Right? Move from this to your all red figure. The metallic red used to border clothing with the hat, skirt, and boots ties things together. The magic was needed as a break from the monotony of all the same couple of colors (this was one of my earlier figures and I think that magic is a little simplistic looking).
warforged draconic sorcerer or something Grung related also that contest idea is great does anyone else want to do one how about we do bbegs contest or something or like we make our characters evil or we make like charchters but with no custom colors and we can’t alter the colors at all also dude that design you sent both actually are pretty awesome
i have a set up in mind for the contests should i make it in another thread r here.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Hi!!!! Wanna make a pact with him? Pm me if you want to! IL tell you the take offs!
I'm also an Anime and Fortnite fun.(and homebrewingstudent-master)
warforged draconic sorcerer or something Grung related also that contest idea is great does anyone else want to do one how about we do bbegs contest or something or like we make our characters evil or we make like charchters but with no custom colors and we can’t alter the colors at all also dude that design you sent both actually are pretty awesome
i have a set up in mind for the contests should i make it in another thread r here.
Would prefer it in another thread, the term for that is thread highjacking and it's a bad thing. I'd like to keep this focused to people asking for characters to get built for them. So, a contest (which sounds awesome), or character build ideas for class or background (which are a ton of fun) and things like that should go elsewhere. Start the thread and I've got ideas that may help out.
An artistic contest should go in the art part of the forums. So, it'll be close by. But, this thread has a topic, and that isn't on the topic.
Ok
Hi!!!! Wanna make a pact with him? Pm me if you want to! IL tell you the take offs!
I'm also an Anime and Fortnite fun.(and homebrewing student-master)
Ext Sign
The Club
Pm me the word avocado.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D537260420/ how would you improve it?
Hi!!!! Wanna make a pact with him? Pm me if you want to! IL tell you the take offs!
I'm also an Anime and Fortnite fun.(and homebrewing student-master)
Ext Sign
The Club
Pm me the word avocado.
I think that looks great! Just opinions ... but, the things I would focus on are:
i used the bonus arms to try to create web shooters. The arrow was a failed web shot.
Hi!!!! Wanna make a pact with him? Pm me if you want to! IL tell you the take offs!
I'm also an Anime and Fortnite fun.(and homebrewing student-master)
Ext Sign
The Club
Pm me the word avocado.
can ANYONE givee me a model idea.
Also, what about hosting heroforge contests here?
Hi!!!! Wanna make a pact with him? Pm me if you want to! IL tell you the take offs!
I'm also an Anime and Fortnite fun.(and homebrewing student-master)
Ext Sign
The Club
Pm me the word avocado.
warforged draconic sorcerer or something Grung related also that contest idea is great does anyone else want to do one how about we do bbegs contest or something or like we make our characters evil or we make like charchters but with no custom colors and we can’t alter the colors at all also dude that design you sent both actually are pretty awesome
When you had asked for some tips previous I gave several model creation exercises that can be fun. Pick a character and make them. It won't be perfect in Heroforge. Just give it a go.
Adina Porter (from shows like True Blood and American Horror Story. She's got pretty distinct facial features. This was my first attempt to get better at doing african american looking characters, and I've got other for other ethnic backgrounds)
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52815027/
Ironman
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=22039092/
Professor X
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=22223395/
Zombicide Fantasy (board game) I did a set of the characters from that. This was some of the earliest stuff I did
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=15766085/
Sometimes I will look at characters other people have made and make my own version. These weren't requested and weren't shared. The heroforge forums have a lot of people sharing their work.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52826286/ (you'll note the heavy reliance on black and red)
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52823614/
Sometimes I'll make alternate versions of people's minis for games I've played
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=44946011/ (you'll have to trust me that this is an improvement, what they made looked like a nightmare clown and it was by accident)
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52800822/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52855149/
Have you experimented with making villain characters? Pick a "villain" race and make 3-4 of them. Have a set of kobolds, goblins, orcs, giants, hobgoblins, zombies ....
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52893499/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=58670763/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=20702984/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=58600385/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=22270096/
I also have sets of combinations of race/class. This way I've just got a generic elf or generic bard or whatever on hand.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52881953/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=55691825/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52528014/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=53030235/ (this has a kitchen sink vibe ... but the 2024 fighter really wants to use a LOT of weapons)
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=16683493/
Have you made modern or futuristic characters?
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52520446/
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=22077111/ (a character I used for a super hero themed game, nailing a pose that really looks in motion was fun)
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=21949264/
And I did a REALLY QUICK touch up the spider thing you presented. Pull both up side by side. I tried to keep the changes minimal, so it's mostly subtle changes. The overall color scheme skews darker. It's no longer red/black. There are no unpainted pieces. There isn't a default expression. There is a single point you can move the camera to and see exactly where the focus of attention is (where the eyes and magic are going). The colors no longer look wet. It really is mostly just subtle changes. Like ... the eggs aren't a pristine white ... they now have a yellow/green tinge to them. The brown hair was given a lighter highlight up top to match the darker color at the tips of spider legs. There are decals on the clothing and face for depth. The robes are now a super dark green (nearly black) with a fairly black pattern in them. The bolt was reworked to be a fire bolt or one of the scorching ray blasts. The spider eye color was reworked to give it more depth. There's still plenty of room for improvement. I think I went too dark with it. The hope was that the couple of bright spots would offset, but I don't think it was enough. Also, the whole thing still needs to be rotated. There's a default direction things are "supposed" to face and it doesn't do it right by default. When you save a mini the preview and the camera angle when it's first loaded ... SHOULD be the focal point of the piece, not off at an angle. In this case it means moving the mini and both of the extras under the spider mount.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=59607737/
If you're just looking for something to do and you don't want to do the things I suggested ... work on color experiments, or motion experiments, or facial expression experiments, or get comfortable making female characters, or get comfortable making non caucasian based characters .... take each one of the figures I've presented in this entire thread since it opened a year ago ... and do your own variation of each. You can do that by taking the original and making changes ... or starting from scratch.
Feel free to start a new thread. Post the original mini. Post your version of it and ask for feedback. Or, just post them. Or, just make a bunch of figures and don't post them. But, there are ... at least 3 dozen or more figures in this thread now. You can make your own version of each of them.
What’s the most underrated dnd thing that you all wish you’d see more of on hero forge me it’s plasmoid or even reborn from van rictions
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config%3D537313947/
a campgain that i might be playing in this is the first wave of minis i had to do anyone got any tips or suggstions
A lot of these are fairly monochromatic. Look up some color charts to see which colors go with other colors. You'll want to learn or relearn about primary, secondary, and tertiary colors. AI can be useful for this. You can also use the general color themes in the color section and modify these as you see fit. But, try to avoid making EVERYTHING the same color. The first figure is like 90% red. The second figure is less monochromatic, but you did go out of your way to give a mostly yellow figure yellow eyes and that's wild. And, the third figure is like 80% brown (it looks like it could be made out of chocolate). The faces you're using seem mostly default (they're not, I can see one has a cleft chin). This gives the figure on the left and the figure out the right the same face with different hair and colors. Make these unique in some way. A bigger jawline. A tiny unheroic chin. A roman nose. Some differentiation. This becomes more important when they're next to one another ... unless your intention was that these are related.
I think a lot of guys fall into this trap as they're learning how to coordinate color. Things do not have to all be the same color to match. It's good that you're thinking about how to match color though. For sure.
I'm having to guess on some of the details. I don't pay for hero forge so I can't see details on kitbashed characters.
Red -
Gold -
Brown -
Nothing wrong with the clothing and gear you've got selected for each of them (it looks a little like the red one has clown shoes on with how bulbous they are .. that's not wrong ... it's just a little weird, but weird can be ok).
It's good to recognize that not every thing that CAN be colored differently needs to be colored differently. Some people go crazy with that and every single thing is a totally new color. But, you're on the opposite end. and it's still an issue. You want to find yourself in the middle.
I went looking for characters I built out that were mostly the same color as examples of how to add variation.
This is a very early figure I made it's SUPER basic and not as creative as I would be if I made it again today. You can see it's MOSTLY the same couple of colors.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=20708488/
There are 3 leather colors in the top. These leathers mesh into the chain skirt and the boots. And, also the handles for the weapons. These are broken up with other colors and materials. And, there's a set of clothing leggings that are in the same color palette but stand out between the skirt and shin guards. Things on this are still too basic. the hair looks wet and there isn't enough complexity going on.
This was looking WAY too brown when I was working on it. Leathers and woods.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52500915/
The pop of blues and greens helped a lot. Things can be realistic, and have matching colors without everything looking the same. The same colors in the top armor are found in the boots and gloves. But, the legs are a different shade of brown in the same wheelhouse.
This is largely a sea of grey.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52553665/
Now, if the bulk of the figure is one article of clothing (a hooded coat or robe) most of what you have WILL look pretty similar. I was trying to give the visual impression of an old world plague doctor. So, white was the core theme. The boots, belt, gloves and mask are a darker, grungy, dingy white. Something to look weathered. Then reminiscent of doctor robes the rest was a light grey with some yellow tones. Cooler blue tones were used elsewhere. A little metallic red on some other parts and some tiny splashes of color with gems and vials (and the magic inscriptions on the pages).
Robed characters can often have fewer colors going on.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52504065/
The robes and gloves all share three colors. It's not a lot! But, we've got other colors brought in as splashes of color with the magic, the caldron and the squirrel.
Mostly grey and white
https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=52503471/
In this you'll see mostly the same 3 colors repeated. Greys and whites. But, there is some variation in that. Right? Move from this to your all red figure. The metallic red used to border clothing with the hat, skirt, and boots ties things together. The magic was needed as a break from the monotony of all the same couple of colors (this was one of my earlier figures and I think that magic is a little simplistic looking).
i have a set up in mind for the contests should i make it in another thread r here.
Hi!!!! Wanna make a pact with him? Pm me if you want to! IL tell you the take offs!
I'm also an Anime and Fortnite fun.(and homebrewing student-master)
Ext Sign
The Club
Pm me the word avocado.
Would prefer it in another thread, the term for that is thread highjacking and it's a bad thing. I'd like to keep this focused to people asking for characters to get built for them. So, a contest (which sounds awesome), or character build ideas for class or background (which are a ton of fun) and things like that should go elsewhere. Start the thread and I've got ideas that may help out.
An artistic contest should go in the art part of the forums. So, it'll be close by. But, this thread has a topic, and that isn't on the topic.
pleese do make an art contest thread and tell me the name of it so i can join it
just made the thread anyone got any ideas for rules /guides or something like that