They didn't remove the restriction on knocking foes prone, they just worded it better so you don't have to go look up the shoving rules but ignore half of it. The new version specifies the target is pushed back 5 feet if they fail the save.
Apparently the jury is still out on this one. I'm seeing people interpreting "...you push it up to 5 feet away from you." as including pushing them straight down into the dirt at your feet. The fact that they removed the explicit prohibition against shoving someone prone seems to open this up to uncertainty.
"up to 5 feet away from you" means 0-5 feet away from you. "Away from you" and "down" are only the same thing if you're directly above someone, and no rule says being pushed towards the floor knocks you prone any more than being pushed against a wall causes damage.
Jeremy already said on Dragon+ that change was just editing. He explicitly said it's bad form to ask the reader to look up the shoving rules but ignore half of it, so instead of doing that he just listed how it works directly in the ability.
I started a centaur, ranger, gloom stalker and found a few things I was concerned about. Some are rules exploits some are just things that don't feel right.
In no particular order:
1. Centaur climb (1 ' costs 4' more) and the feat athletics (climb doesn't cost extra movement)
- seems a little unbelievable considering the 40' base movement. Sidenote; gloomstalker's "rope use" spell... what can that be used for?
2. I took defensive as a fighting style, which made me think... centaur scale mail for example... is it the same weight and cost as regular stuff?
3.can centaur charge racial ability work with charger feat? Is the damage (2 x dice) + 5 + modifiers
4. (Gloomstalker) Disguise self... it says limbs anatomy etc gotta match. Can a centaur merely disguise as other centaur or can they cover a few quadropeds like deer moose horse etc. Is that benefit or limitation appropriate?
5. Lance (mounted) as a weapon seems like it would fit with this race... I realize there was an earlier RAW point but it seems weird especially considering it is not a heavy weapon and would not get the heavy benefit from great weapon master
- when do you use hooves? If you use hooves do you get a disadvantage from the lance you are holding or a missle weapon for that matter.
Mostly I like the centaur but I think a few wrinkles could be ironed out