Is the Echo an immovable object? Being that is said to be only moved by the Knight.
There is nothing in the rules to suppose that it is an immovable object.
On the contrary, if there is an effect that can move an object and establish a saving throw based on the statistics of the object, what does appear in the rules is that the Knight's statistics can be used for that type of rolls => "If it has to make a saving throw, it uses your saving throw bonus for the roll."
Ok, I have not read 50 pages of this thread so this may have been mentioned already (but did not make it into the FAQ).
If it is not held (fixed) in place then it could be moved by Thunderwave. "In addition, unsecured objects that are entirely within the Cube are pushed 10 feet away from you"
Is the Echo an immovable object? Being that is said to be only moved by the Knight.
There is nothing in the rules to suppose that it is an immovable object.
On the contrary, if there is an effect that can move an object and establish a saving throw based on the statistics of the object, what does appear in the rules is that the Knight's statistics can be used for that type of rolls => "If it has to make a saving throw, it uses your saving throw bonus for the roll."
Ok, I have not read 50 pages of this thread so this may have been mentioned already (but did not make it into the FAQ).
If it is not held (fixed) in place then it could be moved by Thunderwave. "In addition, unsecured objects that are entirely within the Cube are pushed 10 feet away from you"
Sure, it would be moved by Thunderwave. But it won't because it only has 1 hit point. And even if you succeed at the saving throw, it still takes half damage of 2d8. So in most cases it will likely just be destroyed versus moved. I played an Echo Khight/Giant Barbarian Goliath to level 15. First 3 levels were Echo Knight because I needed the Echo sooner due to backstory reasons. So I did almost 2 years with the subclass. Truly, it just gets destroyed a lot. But only takes a Bonus Action to bring back.
The only way it is likely to be moved by others and not destroyed, is if they just sort of push it without doing damage. It technically isn't standing. It's a free floating magic object. It's a player flavor choice to make it walk and feel alive (that's my opinion). You could have it just float around like a see through statue. So I would rule that it could be lightly pushed easily to an empty adjacent square. This mostly happened during friendly situations in our game. Most enemies will want to destroy or avoid it.
Don’t get me wrong; you did a great job explaining how it’s suppose to work. It’s just most of the group has very time-consuming jobs and don’t get time to look into certain rules. They seem to know what they are talking about already, but i feel like throwing a curveball at them like this might be too much.
Hey man, you do what's best for you. But I sort of agree with your DM, don't forget to have fun with it. The rules can be tricky, but D&D is all about rules. And if the rest of your party understands most of the base rules, you explaining something shouldn't be too much for them. If the Echo is too complex and you aren't having fun, then you should change it up. But your DM seems like he wants you to keep this PC. Like he may have come up with something fun to do with your backstory and the Echo component. For me, my PC's Echo was powered by the soul of his dead twin that was trapped in a Ring of Mind Shielding. So I got a lot of mileage out of talking to and arguing with myself.
If your DM and party are willing to work with you on making this PC work, then give them the chance to. It just comes down to you knowing how it works so you're able to explain it concisely. And if your DM rules differently, then being able to accept their ruling. This happens with a lot of subclasses all the time. Not everyone knows all there is to know about DnD, heck hardly anyone does. Probably not even those that write the rules know them all perfectly and still have to look stuff up.
No matter what though, your table needs to enjoy and have fun. Do what's necessary to make sure you do too.
1. It is an OBJECT, not a creature. So it does not get the same positives and negatives that come with it. It cannot be used for Flanking nor is it a friendly combatant so it doesn't work for Sneak Attack. But that also means it does not take an Opportunity Attack when moving away from an enemy.
One thing that was interesting as I was planning out a party w/ an Echo Knight and a Warlock was that the Echo can sit inside of Hunger of Hadar without taking any damage.
Also the blindness effect does not impact you so you can see inside of HoH w/ darkvision from outside.
This makes Sentinel opportunity attacks from the Echo's position especially punishing.
I wrote out and posted a comment about the whole darkness/fog cloud effect and how I'm not a big fan of the RAW of them. But I missed this comment of yours before I did, so I deleted it. You are super correct, HoH's darkness is not the same as the Darkness spell. So your darkvision would work as you said from the outside. It's a truly brilliant idea man. I hope you get a lot of mileage out of it.
It's a more complicated version of the microwave move. Where someone casts something like Entangle, Web, Black Tentacles, or better yet Force Wall/Cage on a group of enemies. Then casting Sicking Radiance on those that can't leave. You can sit back and just watch them cook. Your's won't lock down as many as you only get one Sentinel reaction per turn. But it's still going to be very fun to do when you get it to work properly.
Just checked, Sickening Radiance also only effects creatures. So there's another one if your party can cast it.
Another scenario maybe covered sorry if I missed it.
A party member was down, I picked them up and then did the switch teleport. I could not see anywhere saying you can't do this?
To the best of my understanding, it depends on how down they are.
If they are just unconscious, then no. They are still considered a living creature and are subject to the rules of teleportation.
If they are completely DEAD, as in 3 failed death saves, then they are now considered an object and can travel with you as long as you can carry it. A Wizard can't simply put his hand on a fully grown dead adult Orc and teleport with him. The Wizard cannot carry the weight. But an Orc, Minitour, Goliath, or any strong species can most likely carry the burden of another party member. Or someone that is enlarged might be able to.
We just did this with an NPC companion that went down in a fight. We teleported away and the Goliath picked her body up. As soon as we got to the destination, our Cleric revived her.
I think the Rules Glossary disagrees with you.
When you teleport, all the equipment you’re wearing and carrying teleports with you. If you’re touching another creature when you teleport, that creature doesn’t teleport with you unless the teleportation effect says otherwise.
Just being an object is insufficient. You can't simply place your hand on a barrel or chest and "bamf" away with it. The item must be (a) equipped and (b) worn or carried.
Man did I miss this a year ago. But feel the need to respond.
I don't think you read my comment thoroughly. I specifically said "A Wizard can't simply put his hand on a fully grown dead adult Orc and teleport with him." Which is the same as you saying "You can't simply place your hand on..." So you didn't correct anything there.
This is also why I brought up the strength part. The PC has to be strong enough to CARRY the body out. Truly, you didn't correct anything here, nor disagree with me.
Is the Echo an immovable object? Being that is said to be only moved by the Knight.
There is nothing in the rules to suppose that it is an immovable object.
On the contrary, if there is an effect that can move an object and establish a saving throw based on the statistics of the object, what does appear in the rules is that the Knight's statistics can be used for that type of rolls => "If it has to make a saving throw, it uses your saving throw bonus for the roll."
Ok, I have not read 50 pages of this thread so this may have been mentioned already (but did not make it into the FAQ).
If it is not held (fixed) in place then it could be moved by Thunderwave. "In addition, unsecured objects that are entirely within the Cube are pushed 10 feet away from you"
Sure, it would be moved by Thunderwave. But it won't because it only has 1 hit point. And even if you succeed at the saving throw, it still takes half damage of 2d8. So in most cases it will likely just be destroyed versus moved. I played an Echo Khight/Giant Barbarian Goliath to level 15. First 3 levels were Echo Knight because I needed the Echo sooner due to backstory reasons. So I did almost 2 years with the subclass. Truly, it just gets destroyed a lot. But only takes a Bonus Action to bring back.
The only way it is likely to be moved by others and not destroyed, is if they just sort of push it without doing damage. It technically isn't standing. It's a free floating magic object. It's a player flavor choice to make it walk and feel alive (that's my opinion). You could have it just float around like a see through statue. So I would rule that it could be lightly pushed easily to an empty adjacent square. This mostly happened during friendly situations in our game. Most enemies will want to destroy or avoid it.
Pretty sure that only creatures take the damage / make the savings throws from Thunderwave, the object movement is a whole different feature of the spell. So you could actually move a group of enemies and an echo away from you... (although depending on angles they might spread out some). Could be a way to reposition your echo between turns.
Thunderwave
You unleash a wave of thunderous energy. Each creature in a 15-foot Cube originating from you makes a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 Thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage only.
In addition, unsecured objects that are entirely within the Cube are pushed 10 feet away from you, and a thunderous boom is audible within 300 feet.
Using a Higher-Level Spell Slot. The damage increases by 1d8 for each spell slot level above 1.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Ok, I have not read 50 pages of this thread so this may have been mentioned already (but did not make it into the FAQ).
If it is not held (fixed) in place then it could be moved by Thunderwave.
"In addition, unsecured objects that are entirely within the Cube are pushed 10 feet away from you"
Sure, it would be moved by Thunderwave. But it won't because it only has 1 hit point. And even if you succeed at the saving throw, it still takes half damage of 2d8. So in most cases it will likely just be destroyed versus moved. I played an Echo Khight/Giant Barbarian Goliath to level 15. First 3 levels were Echo Knight because I needed the Echo sooner due to backstory reasons. So I did almost 2 years with the subclass. Truly, it just gets destroyed a lot. But only takes a Bonus Action to bring back.
The only way it is likely to be moved by others and not destroyed, is if they just sort of push it without doing damage. It technically isn't standing. It's a free floating magic object. It's a player flavor choice to make it walk and feel alive (that's my opinion). You could have it just float around like a see through statue. So I would rule that it could be lightly pushed easily to an empty adjacent square. This mostly happened during friendly situations in our game. Most enemies will want to destroy or avoid it.
Hey man, you do what's best for you. But I sort of agree with your DM, don't forget to have fun with it. The rules can be tricky, but D&D is all about rules. And if the rest of your party understands most of the base rules, you explaining something shouldn't be too much for them. If the Echo is too complex and you aren't having fun, then you should change it up. But your DM seems like he wants you to keep this PC. Like he may have come up with something fun to do with your backstory and the Echo component. For me, my PC's Echo was powered by the soul of his dead twin that was trapped in a Ring of Mind Shielding. So I got a lot of mileage out of talking to and arguing with myself.
If your DM and party are willing to work with you on making this PC work, then give them the chance to. It just comes down to you knowing how it works so you're able to explain it concisely. And if your DM rules differently, then being able to accept their ruling. This happens with a lot of subclasses all the time. Not everyone knows all there is to know about DnD, heck hardly anyone does. Probably not even those that write the rules know them all perfectly and still have to look stuff up.
No matter what though, your table needs to enjoy and have fun. Do what's necessary to make sure you do too.
I wrote out and posted a comment about the whole darkness/fog cloud effect and how I'm not a big fan of the RAW of them. But I missed this comment of yours before I did, so I deleted it. You are super correct, HoH's darkness is not the same as the Darkness spell. So your darkvision would work as you said from the outside. It's a truly brilliant idea man. I hope you get a lot of mileage out of it.
It's a more complicated version of the microwave move. Where someone casts something like Entangle, Web, Black Tentacles, or better yet Force Wall/Cage on a group of enemies. Then casting Sicking Radiance on those that can't leave. You can sit back and just watch them cook. Your's won't lock down as many as you only get one Sentinel reaction per turn. But it's still going to be very fun to do when you get it to work properly.
Just checked, Sickening Radiance also only effects creatures. So there's another one if your party can cast it.
Happy Echoing!
Man did I miss this a year ago. But feel the need to respond.
I don't think you read my comment thoroughly. I specifically said "A Wizard can't simply put his hand on a fully grown dead adult Orc and teleport with him." Which is the same as you saying "You can't simply place your hand on..." So you didn't correct anything there.
This is also why I brought up the strength part. The PC has to be strong enough to CARRY the body out. Truly, you didn't correct anything here, nor disagree with me.
Pretty sure that only creatures take the damage / make the savings throws from Thunderwave, the object movement is a whole different feature of the spell. So you could actually move a group of enemies and an echo away from you... (although depending on angles they might spread out some). Could be a way to reposition your echo between turns.
Thunderwave
You unleash a wave of thunderous energy. Each creature in a 15-foot Cube originating from you makes a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 Thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage only.
In addition, unsecured objects that are entirely within the Cube are pushed 10 feet away from you, and a thunderous boom is audible within 300 feet.
Using a Higher-Level Spell Slot. The damage increases by 1d8 for each spell slot level above 1.