Catapult violates conservation of momentum. The object moved by the spell simply stops at the end of it's spellborn trajectory.
Simply stops? Or it magically only generates enough force to reach that distance?
if you catapult spell for farther than the distance does it stop at the exact distance and forever hover in the air? Because that’s how you are implying it. And if that’s so. I would agree with you.
Just to note: Resilient Sphere is weightless but it doesn't make the creature inside it weightless. The weightlessness of the sphere is detailed so people know the sphere can be moved and rolled with no greater effort than to move the creature inside it, and so the creature inside could roll the sphere from inside it, like a hamsterball.
The sphere as an overall thing will have weight equal to what is inside.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Click ✨ HERE ✨ For My Youtube Videos featuring Guides, Tips & Tricks for using D&D Beyond. Need help with Homebrew? Check out ✨ thisFAQ/Guide thread ✨ by IamSposta.
Catapult violates conservation of momentum. The object moved by the spell simply stops at the end of it's spellborn trajectory.
Simply stops? Or it magically only generates enough force to reach that distance?
if you catapult spell for farther than the distance does it stop at the exact distance and forever hover in the air? Because that’s how you are implying it. And if that’s so. I would agree with you.
It travels 90 feet, then falls to ground. As it says in the spell.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Click ✨ HERE ✨ For My Youtube Videos featuring Guides, Tips & Tricks for using D&D Beyond. Need help with Homebrew? Check out ✨ thisFAQ/Guide thread ✨ by IamSposta.
Just to note: Resilient Sphere is weightless but it doesn't make the creature inside it weightless. The weightlessness of the sphere is detailed so people know the sphere can be moved and rolled with no greater effort than to move the creature inside it, and so the creature inside could roll the sphere from inside it, like a hamsterball.
The sphere as an overall thing will have weight equal to what is inside.
Between this and your next one. I would allow only a “home brewed” instance of the weightless sphere surrounding “sky writing” from the spell sky write, which has limited use as is, as a way to make sky write more effective. But still is fairly not useful a spell.
Can't count the number of creative uses I've found for Shape Water and, to a lesser extent, Mold Earth. Shape Water is my favorite spell.
Once a DM allowed me to propel myself a little bit into the air by standing on a frozen instance of Shape Water and freezing another instance 25ft underneath me, and because ice floats the DM ruled it "flung up" at enough speed to jut my first instance into the air enough that I could jump up the side of a ship between that and my natural jumping ability. Probably completely defied the rules of physics but was hella fun.
We were going through trap filled dungeons and after one player tripped one and almost died. I decided to be paranoid. So we used our tank and I used shape water to make an ice slip & slide and used him to try and set off all the traps (of course they'd all reset) so mold Earth to trip them again (for things like swinging axes, to see where they'd impact: head, chest, legs.) Then catch them. Or use shape water and freeze them so they couldn't activate (DM would make me roll to see if the ice held)
I'm just curious, could you use it to cause someone to pee themselves? Not like I'd ever do something mean like that
The first clause of mold earth doesn't have a time limit on it, unlike the other two, and since those others specifically point out a one hour limit it leads me to believe that the excavation power doesn't revert.
Yes. But it does have a clause of loose earth, and while Jeremy Crawford does say “think dirt not stone”, it doesn’t change the fact, that loose dirt, means it’s not particularly growing grass.... it’s either a literal dirt road, or recently dig up dirt. The recently dig up, I don’t know how many adventurers party’s possession including a hoe or plow to loosen the earth up for the spell. Or who really wants to go around and briefly shovel the topsoil for 5ft cube areas in a grid-search pattern, just to make that part of mold earth more and more effective.
but that’s just my preference of not spending a lot of time shoveling.
plenty of other underutilized spells. I’m a big fan of shocking grasp someone as you walk/run by. Taking advantage of how most people wear metal armor for the advantage, and then they lose reactions until their next turn. But you don’t see many people use shocking grasp.
Nevertheless, my point was that if you did happen to have enough loose soil to make a crude palisade it would remain and not revert after an hour.
My point was the spell isn’t near as effective and useful as was lead to believe by the rave review of it.
to go one more step. “Creative use for underused spells”
1. I don’t know anyone who ever had mold earth that doesn’t do that.
2. Mold earth “underused” is practically trolling.
that said, shocking grasp. My scenario of basically a snatch and grab or hit and run tagging someone like you just randomly t.a.s.e.r. Them isn’t exactly creative. I have gone multiple campaigns without seeing a shocking grasp.
I’ll be lucky to go 1 session without a mold earth.
Differences in players/groups. I don't think I've ever seen Mold Earth cast in any of our campaigns.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Simply stops? Or it magically only generates enough force to reach that distance?
if you catapult spell for farther than the distance does it stop at the exact distance and forever hover in the air? Because that’s how you are implying it. And if that’s so. I would agree with you.
Watch me on twitch
Just to note: Resilient Sphere is weightless but it doesn't make the creature inside it weightless. The weightlessness of the sphere is detailed so people know the sphere can be moved and rolled with no greater effort than to move the creature inside it, and so the creature inside could roll the sphere from inside it, like a hamsterball.
The sphere as an overall thing will have weight equal to what is inside.
Click ✨ HERE ✨ For My Youtube Videos featuring Guides, Tips & Tricks for using D&D Beyond.
Need help with Homebrew? Check out ✨ this FAQ/Guide thread ✨ by IamSposta.
It travels 90 feet, then falls to ground. As it says in the spell.
Click ✨ HERE ✨ For My Youtube Videos featuring Guides, Tips & Tricks for using D&D Beyond.
Need help with Homebrew? Check out ✨ this FAQ/Guide thread ✨ by IamSposta.
Between this and your next one. I would allow only a “home brewed” instance of the weightless sphere surrounding “sky writing” from the spell sky write, which has limited use as is, as a way to make sky write more effective. But still is fairly not useful a spell.
Watch me on twitch
Can't count the number of creative uses I've found for Shape Water and, to a lesser extent, Mold Earth. Shape Water is my favorite spell.
Once a DM allowed me to propel myself a little bit into the air by standing on a frozen instance of Shape Water and freezing another instance 25ft underneath me, and because ice floats the DM ruled it "flung up" at enough speed to jut my first instance into the air enough that I could jump up the side of a ship between that and my natural jumping ability. Probably completely defied the rules of physics but was hella fun.
We were going through trap filled dungeons and after one player tripped one and almost died. I decided to be paranoid. So we used our tank and I used shape water to make an ice slip & slide and used him to try and set off all the traps (of course they'd all reset) so mold Earth to trip them again (for things like swinging axes, to see where they'd impact: head, chest, legs.) Then catch them. Or use shape water and freeze them so they couldn't activate (DM would make me roll to see if the ice held)
I'm just curious, could you use it to cause someone to pee themselves? Not like I'd ever do something mean like that
Shape Water to make someone spill their drink on themselves.
Differences in players/groups. I don't think I've ever seen Mold Earth cast in any of our campaigns.