I’ve got no clue as to why you, an adult, are stepping in on the actions of a bunch of teenagers and people on the younger side when it isn’t really your job to do this and you’re not really a part of Adohands, it’s honestly kind of weird (although considering you said you worked in cyberbullying, I guess it is kind of your job, but it probably isn’t your job to write long ranty paragraphs at us specifically). But thanks for your opinion, I can’t say it wasn’t helpful. Perhaps instead of narrating actions, we can have a talk (peace summit in character or whatever). I’d like to be a better person on the internet.
My mindset originally was that Goose was a bot or an AI, and that eventually turned into pure harassment, which was wrong of me. I’m still not entirely convinced they’re not AI or using AI, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Witch hunting has never done anyone any good. To be honest, all of this, including your response felt like an attack on my community, as Adohands feels like a community to me. I guess I’d rather conserve old traditions on Adohands than be kinder to new people. Like I said on LCW, I may be leaving Adohands and DnD Beyond indefinitely, hopefully back as a better person who is more willing to embrace change in my favorite internet space. May delay that until the talk ends, but apologies for saying many rude things in this post (I know I did say rude things, some were intentionally rude).
waaaaah help my run on sentences in this thing are abhorrent and I’m also abhorrent
reread and edited this thing a frick ton of times, it’s still probably bad enough for getting insulted but ehhhhh I gotta grow thicker skin
Ok, can I get a rundown of the whole SCP situation? Im thinking I missed some stuff. How long has this beef been going on for?
To start, I am an outside observer. For reasons unclear to me, I got added to a private group message that contained some elements of cyberbullying, and, as someone who does work in that particular field, have been monitoring this situation since.
To sum what happened, one particular user has a bit of a hyperfixation on the SCP and some issues with boundary setting. This is understandably frustrating, but is relatively benign, clearly not malicious, and, frankly, consistent with behavior by a lot of members of the Adohand’s community.
However, several individuals have been, understandably (if, perhaps, at times hypocritically), annoyed by this behavior. Instead of responding with kindness and explaining why the first user’s behavior was problematic, there has been insults, attempts to derail that individual’s thread, curt dismissals, and, perhaps worst of all, cliquish dogpiling, where the rapid aggregate of ganging up on the first user feels like a concentrated effort to belittle and make the first user feel bad.
Essentially, to put it in as blunt terms as possible: One person is engaging in somewhat annoying forum behavior, and a significant portion of the Adohand’s community has responded with cliquish cyberbullying.
*Sorry for the slightly unhinged rant of my own, but I enjoy writing and this is how 15 minutes of my life just happens to end up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯* As Bananer said, not the best writings techniques or polish but I would rather have this problem behind us. I felt kinda detached from it from the start, and don't feel that it really impacted me, but we should really just wrap it up and call it a day.*
Okay I can get where you're coming from, but I feel that you lack significant knowledge of the situation to make such an assumption. First, I have rarely seen you ever post messages on Adohands, so it does feel kinda odd that you are providing your own form of events without having interacted with anyone about it. It’s also strange to say you are “monitoring” a situation, don't know how I feel about that, unless you are secretly an undercover mod I find it hard to find a reasonable explanation to explain an adult watching a group of teens conversations. This being partially due to my understanding that a random member of the forums suddenly appearing claiming to work with cyberbullying is highly unlikely.
You say you were added to a groupchat, as you said it is interesting that you were, as I certainly wasn’t added and I don’t see how you were since you aren’t an active member of Adohands. What aspects of cyberbullying are you saying you have seen? Another point to the information on PM’s you weren’t included in the vast majority of these threads, many of which contained the reasoning for these users actions and almost all provided more context that you are woefully unaware about. You would be unaware of a PM with users describing how the situation made the forums seem unlikable, lack information about threads made by the associated user that would make the situation worse and cause conflict, and not understand that at no point that the intention of the forum members action’s was to in any way cyberbully.
Your summary of the situation was a bit lacking, as to be expected of someone that wasn’t interacting with the situation but I thought I’d point out some misconceptions. You linked the user’s (Goostifer’s) obsession with SCP lore as a main point of frustration. I find this incorrect as I have seen users with far more extensive obsessions that were treated differently, I don’t acknowledge this to be a source of contention. What I will agree with however is the frustration caused with the boundary settings (Or lack thereof) displayed by the user. We, (myself included) were undoubtedly upset about the users actions on the forums. However, your statement that we at no point attempted to kindly correct these statements is unequivocally incorrect. Many did try to correct their actions, but this led to little of a response. Also, for you to say that this was “Slightly annoying behavior” Is such an uninformed statement that I’m not even going to respond to that now. As if I did, I would undoubtedly be writing several more paragraphs for a problem that I feel was already near being resolved by the time you posted your own series of events.
I acknowledge that the members of Adohands (again, myself included) acted with lack of conduct when it came to the situation. At times we undoubtedly could’ve changed tack when dealing with it. However, you are by no means qualified to make assumptions of the situation. Nor is it your job to write a long-winded rant about how a “significant portion” of the members of the forums are cyberbullying. If I was to walk into a room where I had long been nearly entirely absent, then accuse 90% of the occupants of said room of something I have little knowledge about I would feel a little silly, I guess you could just say I don’t really understand why you felt the need for this post.
If you just wanted to help out, lets just discuss it and be done. Hope I didn't sound to harsh I really wasn't trying to be it's just far too late for a sane person to be up. Goodnight.
Ok, can I get a rundown of the whole SCP situation? Im thinking I missed some stuff. How long has this beef been going on for?
To start, I am an outside observer. For reasons unclear to me, I got added to a private group message that contained some elements of cyberbullying, and, as someone who does work in that particular field, have been monitoring this situation since.
To sum what happened, one particular user has a bit of a hyperfixation on the SCP and some issues with boundary setting. This is understandably frustrating, but is relatively benign, clearly not malicious, and, frankly, consistent with behavior by a lot of members of the Adohand’s community.
However, several individuals have been, understandably (if, perhaps, at times hypocritically), annoyed by this behavior. Instead of responding with kindness and explaining why the first user’s behavior was problematic, there has been insults, attempts to derail that individual’s thread, curt dismissals, and, perhaps worst of all, cliquish dogpiling, where the rapid aggregate of ganging up on the first user feels like a concentrated effort to belittle and make the first user feel bad.
Essentially, to put it in as blunt terms as possible: One person is engaging in somewhat annoying forum behavior, and a significant portion of the Adohand’s community has responded with cliquish cyberbullying.
*Sorry for the slightly unhinged rant of my own, but I enjoy writing and this is how 15 minutes of my life just happens to end up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯* As Bananer said, not the best writings techniques or polish but I would rather have this problem behind us. I felt kinda detached from it from the start, and don't feel that it really impacted me, but we should really just wrap it up and call it a day.*
Okay I can get where you're coming from, but I feel that you lack significant knowledge of the situation to make such an assumption. First, I have rarely seen you ever post messages on Adohands, so it does feel kinda odd that you are providing your own form of events without having interacted with anyone about it. It’s also strange to say you are “monitoring” a situation, don't know how I feel about that, unless you are secretly an undercover mod I find it hard to find a reasonable explanation to explain an adult watching a group of teens conversations. This being partially due to my understanding that a random member of the forums suddenly appearing claiming to work with cyberbullying is highly unlikely.
You say you were added to a groupchat, as you said it is interesting that you were, as I certainly wasn’t added and I don’t see how you were since you aren’t an active member of Adohands. What aspects of cyberbullying are you saying you have seen? Another point to the information on PM’s you weren’t included in the vast majority of these threads, many of which contained the reasoning for these users actions and almost all provided more context that you are woefully unaware about. You would be unaware of a PM with users describing how the situation made the forums seem unlikable, lack information about threads made by the associated user that would make the situation worse and cause conflict, and not understand that at no point that the intention of the forum members action’s was to in any way cyberbully.
Your summary of the situation was a bit lacking, as to be expected of someone that wasn’t interacting with the situation but I thought I’d point out some misconceptions. You linked the user’s (Goostifer’s) obsession with SCP lore as a main point of frustration. I find this incorrect as I have seen users with far more extensive obsessions that were treated differently, I don’t acknowledge this to be a source of contention. What I will agree with however is the frustration caused with the boundary settings (Or lack thereof) displayed by the user. We, (myself included) were undoubtedly upset about the users actions on the forums. However, your statement that we at no point attempted to kindly correct these statements is unequivocally incorrect. Many did try to correct their actions, but this led to little of a response. Also, for you to say that this was “Slightly annoying behavior” Is such an uninformed statement that I’m not even going to respond to that now. As if I did, I would undoubtedly be writing several more paragraphs for a problem that I feel was already near being resolved by the time you posted your own series of events.
I acknowledge that the members of Adohands (again, myself included) acted with lack of conduct when it came to the situation. At times we undoubtedly could’ve changed tack when dealing with it. However, you are by no means qualified to make assumptions of the situation. Nor is it your job to write a long-winded rant about how a “significant portion” of the members of the forums are cyberbullying. If I was to walk into a room where I had long been nearly entirely absent, then accuse 90% of the occupants of said room of something I have little knowledge about I would feel a little silly, I guess you could just say I don’t really understand why you felt the need for this post.
If you just wanted to help out, lets just discuss it and be done. Hope I didn't sound to harsh I really wasn't trying to be it's just far too late for a sane person to be up. Goodnight.
Thanks. I'll stop posting on this thread, but I shall remain neutral in affiliation with the Cult of Jeff. Now I think he'll should go back to normal cult activities on this thread, to lighten to mood a bit.
I am just trying to be a member of the community and, well, do stuff. I apologize if I have annoyed anyone and will try to do better. I am NOT a bot and I do NOT use AI.
Pronouns: He/Him/His.
Aliases: Goosetifer, Goose.
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
I’ve got no clue as to why you, an adult, are stepping in on the actions of a bunch of teenagers and people on the younger side when it isn’t really your job to do this and you’re not really a part of Adohands, it’s honestly kind of weird (although considering you said you worked in cyberbullying, I guess it is kind of your job, but it probably isn’t your job to write long ranty paragraphs at us specifically). But thanks for your opinion, I can’t say it wasn’t helpful. Perhaps instead of narrating actions, we can have a talk (peace summit in character or whatever). I’d like to be a better person on the internet.
My mindset originally was that Goose was a bot or an AI, and that eventually turned into pure harassment, which was wrong of me. I’m still not entirely convinced they’re not AI or using AI, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Witch hunting has never done anyone any good. To be honest, all of this, including your response felt like an attack on my community, as Adohands feels like a community to me. I guess I’d rather conserve old traditions on Adohands than be kinder to new people. Like I said on LCW, I may be leaving Adohands and DnD Beyond indefinitely, hopefully back as a better person who is more willing to embrace change in my favorite internet space. May delay that until the talk ends, but apologies for saying many rude things in this post (I know I did say rude things, some were intentionally rude).
waaaaah help my run on sentences in this thing are abhorrent and I’m also abhorrent
reread and edited this thing a frick ton of times, it’s still probably bad enough for getting insulted but ehhhhh I gotta grow thicker skin
he/they
gods' vision
read castoff it’s a great webcomic :3
*Sorry for the slightly unhinged rant of my own, but I enjoy writing and this is how 15 minutes of my life just happens to end up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯* As Bananer said, not the best writings techniques or polish but I would rather have this problem behind us. I felt kinda detached from it from the start, and don't feel that it really impacted me, but we should really just wrap it up and call it a day.*
Okay I can get where you're coming from, but I feel that you lack significant knowledge of the situation to make such an assumption. First, I have rarely seen you ever post messages on Adohands, so it does feel kinda odd that you are providing your own form of events without having interacted with anyone about it. It’s also strange to say you are “monitoring” a situation, don't know how I feel about that, unless you are secretly an undercover mod I find it hard to find a reasonable explanation to explain an adult watching a group of teens conversations. This being partially due to my understanding that a random member of the forums suddenly appearing claiming to work with cyberbullying is highly unlikely.
You say you were added to a groupchat, as you said it is interesting that you were, as I certainly wasn’t added and I don’t see how you were since you aren’t an active member of Adohands. What aspects of cyberbullying are you saying you have seen? Another point to the information on PM’s you weren’t included in the vast majority of these threads, many of which contained the reasoning for these users actions and almost all provided more context that you are woefully unaware about. You would be unaware of a PM with users describing how the situation made the forums seem unlikable, lack information about threads made by the associated user that would make the situation worse and cause conflict, and not understand that at no point that the intention of the forum members action’s was to in any way cyberbully.
Your summary of the situation was a bit lacking, as to be expected of someone that wasn’t interacting with the situation but I thought I’d point out some misconceptions. You linked the user’s (Goostifer’s) obsession with SCP lore as a main point of frustration. I find this incorrect as I have seen users with far more extensive obsessions that were treated differently, I don’t acknowledge this to be a source of contention. What I will agree with however is the frustration caused with the boundary settings (Or lack thereof) displayed by the user. We, (myself included) were undoubtedly upset about the users actions on the forums. However, your statement that we at no point attempted to kindly correct these statements is unequivocally incorrect. Many did try to correct their actions, but this led to little of a response. Also, for you to say that this was “Slightly annoying behavior” Is such an uninformed statement that I’m not even going to respond to that now. As if I did, I would undoubtedly be writing several more paragraphs for a problem that I feel was already near being resolved by the time you posted your own series of events.
I acknowledge that the members of Adohands (again, myself included) acted with lack of conduct when it came to the situation. At times we undoubtedly could’ve changed tack when dealing with it. However, you are by no means qualified to make assumptions of the situation. Nor is it your job to write a long-winded rant about how a “significant portion” of the members of the forums are cyberbullying. If I was to walk into a room where I had long been nearly entirely absent, then accuse 90% of the occupants of said room of something I have little knowledge about I would feel a little silly, I guess you could just say I don’t really understand why you felt the need for this post.
If you just wanted to help out, lets just discuss it and be done. Hope I didn't sound to harsh I really wasn't trying to be it's just far too late for a sane person to be up. Goodnight.
Thanks. I'll stop posting on this thread, but I shall remain neutral in affiliation with the Cult of Jeff. Now I think he'll should go back to normal cult activities on this thread, to lighten to mood a bit.
Secure, Contain, Protect
A member of the once glorious, now-ruined Cult of Grammar. "Rest in peace, Great Dictionary. We can continue elsewhere."
I am just trying to be a member of the community and, well, do stuff. I apologize if I have annoyed anyone and will try to do better. I am NOT a bot and I do NOT use AI.
Pronouns: He/Him/His.
Aliases: Goosetifer, Goose.