And now I will cancel my subscription to D&D Beyond after almost 6 years...The entire board and all the leadership of Hasbro and WOTC should be fired over this.
Came back to 5E from PF 1E, will now buy everything PF 2E I cn lay my hands on. I fully support the ORC license!
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
So, to be clear, decisions based on greed and anti-competitive business practices, made by D&D's executive classes have been so alienating to both their primary consumers and the third party support that keeps their product relevant between releases and though disappointing product lauches, that they've inadvertantly diverted millions in potential income from themselves, to one of their most well-known competitors, Paizo.
It's strange, isn't it. Writing about events seperated by over a decade, as if it were one event. I guess when the consequences of your choices will only fall upon those working under you, there is literally nothing preventing you from making terrible decisions and failing to learn from recent history.
So, to be clear, decisions based on greed and anti-competitive business practices, made by D&D's executive classes have been so alienating to both their primary consumers and the third party support that keeps their product relevant between releases and though disappointing product lauches, that they've inadvertantly diverted millions in potential income from themselves, to one of their most well-known competitors, Paizo.
It's strange, isn't it. Writing about events seperated by over a decade, as if it were one event. I guess when the consequences of your choices will only fall upon those working under you, there is literally nothing preventing you from making terrible decisions and failing to learn from recent history.
This has all happened before, and it will happen again.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
I said it back in ‘97, WotC purchasing D&D would be both the best and worst thing to ever happen to D&D. And I said it last year that WotC purchasing DDB would be the worst thing to happen to DDB. I’m tired of being right.
Before last week, I had not made a single post, I didn’t see a reason to. I was a loyal, silent customer with a steady, reoccurring subscription. I’m none of those things now things to the OGL 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever they try and brand this turd as.
I said it back in ‘97, WotC purchasing D&D would be both the best and worst thing to ever happen to D&D. And I said it last year that WotC purchasing DDB would be the worst thing to happen to DDB. I’m tired of being right.
IMO, WotC buying DnDBeyond was absolutely the best thing they could have done. It had the potentional to build a system that had reoccuring payment system for ALL D&D players, but that wasn't good enough. Then these tools entered the scene who tried to apply their knowledge of canned games (consoles and such) to a creative free flowing game and try to force their corporate tactics on a game that is truly controlled by its players. The worst thing they could have ever done was to try and change the OGL just for the fact that it's the creative community that drives D&D. Not a book or a VTT.
The funniest part is, my group is contemplating removing maps almost entirely from our VTT gaming and providing only a whiteboard. The complaint is that the maps stifle their imagination of the events.
Imagine that. A game drive by imagination is hampered by pre-conceived visualization of what's happening. I love the Unreal engine, but what a cluster **** that is going to be for the imagination aspect of D&D.
They are building a platform for console players, not TTRPG players.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Info, Inflow, Overload. Knowledge Black Hole Imminent!
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
I said it back in ‘97, WotC purchasing D&D would be both the best and worst thing to ever happen to D&D. And I said it last year that WotC purchasing DDB would be the worst thing to happen to DDB. I’m tired of being right.
IMO, WotC buying DnDBeyond was absolutely the best thing they could have done. It had the potentional to build a system that had reoccuring payment system for ALL D&D players, but that wasn't good enough. Then these tools entered the scene who tried to apply their knowledge of canned games (consoles and such) to a creative free flowing game and try to force their corporate tactics on a game that is truly controlled by its players. The worst thing they could have ever done was to try and change the OGL just for the fact that it's the creative community that drives D&D. Not a book or a VTT.
The funniest part is, my group is contemplating removing maps almost entirely from our VTT gaming and providing only a whiteboard. The complaint is that the maps stifle their imagination of the events.
Imagine that. A game drive by imagination is hampered by pre-conceived visualization of what's happening. I love the Unreal engine, but what a cluster **** that is going to be for the imagination aspect of D&D.
They are building a platform for console players, not TTRPG players.
That’s why I don’t use a VTT at all. It ruins the experience for me.
I post in these forums off and on from time to time and I’m literally nauseous over this 1.1 debacle.
Creating Epic Boons on DDB
DDB Buyers' Guide
Hardcovers, DDB & You
Content Troubleshooting
Well, someone put out an important announcement over this...https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6si7v
Paizo Announces System-Neutral Open RPG License
And now I will cancel my subscription to D&D Beyond after almost 6 years...The entire board and all the leadership of Hasbro and WOTC should be fired over this.
Came back to 5E from PF 1E, will now buy everything PF 2E I cn lay my hands on. I fully support the ORC license!
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
Yeah, looks like it is time to head back to Paizo.
I still can't make heads or tails of the Paizo 2E system, but I guess it is time to learn!
Forever.
Maybe not Forever, but I’ll take perpetual and irrevocable….
So, to be clear, decisions based on greed and anti-competitive business practices, made by D&D's executive classes have been so alienating to both their primary consumers and the third party support that keeps their product relevant between releases and though disappointing product lauches, that they've inadvertantly diverted millions in potential income from themselves, to one of their most well-known competitors, Paizo.
It's strange, isn't it. Writing about events seperated by over a decade, as if it were one event. I guess when the consequences of your choices will only fall upon those working under you, there is literally nothing preventing you from making terrible decisions and failing to learn from recent history.
Funny thing...Adam Bradford heads up Demiplane which is basically D&D Beyond but for a bunch of systems, including Pathfinder!
This has all happened before, and it will happen again.
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
I said it back in ‘97, WotC purchasing D&D would be both the best and worst thing to ever happen to D&D. And I said it last year that WotC purchasing DDB would be the worst thing to happen to DDB. I’m tired of being right.
Creating Epic Boons on DDB
DDB Buyers' Guide
Hardcovers, DDB & You
Content Troubleshooting
The obvious goal that wizards of the Coast wanted was to monetize third-party publishing.
Their stupidity is that resulted in them losing control instead.
Not everyone that uses the site actively posts.
Before last week, I had not made a single post, I didn’t see a reason to. I was a loyal, silent customer with a steady, reoccurring subscription. I’m none of those things now things to the OGL 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever they try and brand this turd as.
Kobold Press and other publishers are signing on and contributing to ORC. I'm looking forward to https://koboldpress.com/raising-our-flag/
IMO, WotC buying DnDBeyond was absolutely the best thing they could have done. It had the potentional to build a system that had reoccuring payment system for ALL D&D players, but that wasn't good enough. Then these tools entered the scene who tried to apply their knowledge of canned games (consoles and such) to a creative free flowing game and try to force their corporate tactics on a game that is truly controlled by its players. The worst thing they could have ever done was to try and change the OGL just for the fact that it's the creative community that drives D&D. Not a book or a VTT.
The funniest part is, my group is contemplating removing maps almost entirely from our VTT gaming and providing only a whiteboard. The complaint is that the maps stifle their imagination of the events.
Imagine that. A game drive by imagination is hampered by pre-conceived visualization of what's happening. I love the Unreal engine, but what a cluster **** that is going to be for the imagination aspect of D&D.
They are building a platform for console players, not TTRPG players.
Info, Inflow, Overload. Knowledge Black Hole Imminent!
F¿CK YOU, HASBRO!
I'M OUT!
Thanks for letting me (us) know about Demiplane!
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
Bend the knee WOTC, your D&D (TM) Monopoly (TM) is OVER!
That’s why I don’t use a VTT at all. It ruins the experience for me.
Creating Epic Boons on DDB
DDB Buyers' Guide
Hardcovers, DDB & You
Content Troubleshooting