I just cancelled my DND Beyond subscription after almost 2 years. Sorry DND Beyond, it was going to renew in 2 days, but after this dumpster fire of business strategy, I am afraid I am out.
Absolutely agree with the point: this is a creative game. It's based entirely on our imagination. To try and monetize the very act of creativity that drives that is an absolute insult of the highest order.
I feel sorry for the low levels within WotC they are getting screwed and I have a feeling Paizo will be in need of some people soon as the rise of the Orc as well as Kobold Press Project Black Flag comes to destroy D&D all over a bunch of idiots who never played the game that happen to work at Hasbro/WotC. Don't leave your job yet, no need to go broke, we will need spies and people to help keep the leaks coming. We all know who the real enemy is, and it's not you, and you do what needs to be done to support your families. When time comes were you can switch sides and away from WotC take it. The golden age of D&D is over. The age of the Table Top Wars have begun.
Once they perfect the AI DM in their virtual tabletop, the only way you'll be able to get magic items will be through loot boxes.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
I'm wondering what's taking so long for WotC to get an answer out. It feels like the more they are waiting, the more other company's are preparing themselves to move away from D&D. My suggestion to them, copy paste v1.0a, add the word irrevocable to make it clear for everyone even though nobody really needs it since it is perpetual, but that is the only way that you'll get out of this mess...
I'm wondering what's taking so long for WotC to get an answer out. It feels like the more they are waiting, the more other company's are preparing themselves to move away from D&D. My suggestion to them, copy paste v1.0a, add the word irrevocable to make it clear for everyone even though nobody really needs it since it is perpetual, but that is the only way that you'll get out of this mess...
It's too late for that. The damage is done. Even if they DID do that no one will trust their slimy asses. After shoddy releases like Spell Jammer and other sheisty books, then THIS, they have lost any goodwill they had with the community. Prepare to see DnD to shrink and wither as people jump ship. It may not die completely but I wouldn't be surprised to see another system become THE DnD system.
I'm wondering what's taking so long for WotC to get an answer out. It feels like the more they are waiting, the more other company's are preparing themselves to move away from D&D. My suggestion to them, copy paste v1.0a, add the word irrevocable to make it clear for everyone even though nobody really needs it since it is perpetual, but that is the only way that you'll get out of this mess...
They probably saw how the wind was blowing, and realized that their planned message for today was just going to end up being gasoline to throw on the fire.
They blinked.
And then Paizo swept in and ruined whatever their backup plan was - any version of the OGL they try and push now has to compete with the terms of what is likely to be a rock solid perpetual irrevocable license without things like Royalties. And the only leverage they have to incite people to accept their terms is the now massively tainted (by WotC themselves) DnD brand...
I am currently still hanging onto my DnDBeyond subscription (I've plowed a lot of money into having the books online here), but if the new OGL goes the way it looks like it's going to go, I'm out. Ironically, I just increased my membership so that I could share the resources with a friend who wants to start playing, so I won't pay any more for about 11 months, but I can't believe how shoddy the leaked OGL looks for third-party providers. I can't support a company that is so monopolistic and tries to use its market power to bully small businesses, individual creators, and others. I'll be playtesting one of the new open rpgs and figuring out how to move to a new online platform. I've sunk a lot of money into my DnDBeyond membership, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy playing knowing that Hasbro and WOTC had left this many bodies on the field.
Well now, that's made decisions a helluva lot easier, hasn't it?
Congratulations, WoTC/Hasbro....you took a community that was eager to buy just about everything you published and was consistently clamoring for more, and made a huge population of them decide that you didn't appreciate them nearly as much as they appreciated you. I'd purchased physical copies of just about everything, and then DID purchase electronic copies of all the rulebooks so that my players had access to it all during our game sessions....conservatively $750 - $1000 over the last 3 years. The players in this campaign alone have undoubtedly spent money of their own. DnDBeyond was such an integral part of our character management and gameplay that I would've likely kept it until such time as we stopped playing entirely. Well, you just accelerated that process. The word will be going to the players tonight, even as my wife drives into town to pick up about $150 worth of Pathfinder books: get ready folks, we'll be shifting systems.
You've made your own grave-shaped bed, WoTC/Hasbro.....I hope you enjoy lying in it!
I don't get the ramifications of this, other than people with broken hearts because a company wants to make money.
Doesn't OGL affects companies or third party companies making stuff for players...I mean I can see why those folks would be upset but why players are so invested in hating that change?
(Not even being devil's advocate or anything, just asking)
I'm wondering what's taking so long for WotC to get an answer out. It feels like the more they are waiting, the more other company's are preparing themselves to move away from D&D. My suggestion to them, copy paste v1.0a, add the word irrevocable to make it clear for everyone even though nobody really needs it since it is perpetual, but that is the only way that you'll get out of this mess...
Even if they did that, every 3PP would move forward with making ORC or whatever anyway. That ship has sailed. So they might as well flush 1.0a and replace it with something where they can at least profit.
If they remove the worst parts of 1.1 they will likely salvage some of their base. All of the competition are talking about making their own open TTRPG (with blackjack! and h--kers!) but it will be over a year before they can make and playtest something functional. D&D, with its actual game that exists, has a chance to reclaim some of the disaffected players and content creators if they break the silence.
You don’t lose what you purchased by cancel your subscription. You just lose access to the other things such as more than six characters. I had originally purchased all of the resources adventures before I ever had a subscription. as of 2 days ago I longer have the subscription and have full expectations the the content will remain.
I don't get the ramifications of this, other than people with broken hearts because a company wants to make money.
Doesn't OGL affects companies or third party companies making stuff for players...I mean I can see why those folks would be upset but why players are so invested in hating that change?
(Not even being devil's advocate or anything, just asking)
There’s several things wrong, and although most of them are pretty bad on their own, it’s the totality of it that gets really egregious and speaks to an upper management that isn’t just “a company that wants to make money” but fundamentally not understanding the community.
One of the biggest ones is we have them attempting the legally dubious move of “de-authorizing” the OGL 1.0a which they have said for over 20 years that they could not do. (Even stating so in their own FAQ on it. Keep that in mind for a minute.) This has completely upended the majority of the industry and, no exaggeration, jeopardized the livelihoods of hundreds of people - all with originally only a week to react and decide what to do.
Then they wanted to push everyone to a new license that is SO bad and so massively one-sided that many, justifiably, believe it’s less about getting people to agree to it than it is to get people to negotiate custom licenses individually. There are many, many really bad terms in the new license that it’s hard to even list them all. Royalty rates 10x higher than might be standard for what’s being granted. Rights irrevocably to reuse all of your content without payment. Waiving the right to ever sue WotC. Agreeing to never disparage WotC. Financial reports of all your sales to WotC.
Worst of all is they can change the terms at any time to anything with only a 30 day notice.
However, they assure in comments and an apparent FAQ that they won’t abuse these terms and it’s not a big deal. But remember how much regard they give to FAQs? None. They have shown with their own behavior that no matter how clear their official explanation is, it can’t be trusted if it’s not clear in the legal text itself.
Top it off with nearly all of the creative team having started their careers at OGL publishers, there’s a strong element of “pulling the ladder up behind them” at play. Of course, it’s likely this all comes from execs who have been hired from Microsoft and other areas outside the RPG industry.
Oh, and almost forgot - they are also cutting off several VTTs and even ones with current licensing deals now have to worry how long WotC will honor that with their own VTT in development.
AND spend all this time saying nothing while publishers are having to reevaluate their entire business. Uncertainty just growing and growing, and it’s a complete mess.(And this isn’t even getting into their lies to try justifying it with talk of NFTs, or how the very person they had announce OneD&D is even telling them how bad it is and the most they can say “Be patient.”?)
In the span of a week, it has upended the entire industry and undermined trust they had built for years. Of course that is going to bleed over to the players who like many of these 3pp. No one 3pp is nearly the size of WotC, but many, many players like at least one 3pp as well as use one of the VTTs that might need to stop supporting 5e with only a week notice…
I'm wondering what's taking so long for WotC to get an answer out. It feels like the more they are waiting, the more other company's are preparing themselves to move away from D&D. My suggestion to them, copy paste v1.0a, add the word irrevocable to make it clear for everyone even though nobody really needs it since it is perpetual, but that is the only way that you'll get out of this mess...
Even if they did that, every 3PP would move forward with making ORC or whatever anyway. That ship has sailed. So they might as well flush 1.0a and replace it with something where they can at least profit.
If they remove the worst parts of 1.1 they will likely salvage some of their base. All of the competition are talking about making their own open TTRPG (with blackjack! and h--kers!) but it will be over a year before they can make and playtest something functional. D&D, with its actual game that exists, has a chance to reclaim some of the disaffected players and content creators if they break the silence.
Pathfinder is an actual game, that exists. Worse - for WotC - its freely available for play, and lives off the associated books and resources being nice enough that people want to buy them, despite the content being available legally, for free, on demand.
That means switching is going to be trivial for anyone who's upset, and spoiler alert, the only reason I've played 5E since PF2e came out is because other players were reluctant to try something new.
WotC just removed that obstacle for a whole lot of people.
I'm wondering what's taking so long for WotC to get an answer out. It feels like the more they are waiting, the more other company's are preparing themselves to move away from D&D. My suggestion to them, copy paste v1.0a, add the word irrevocable to make it clear for everyone even though nobody really needs it since it is perpetual, but that is the only way that you'll get out of this mess...
Even if they did that, every 3PP would move forward with making ORC or whatever anyway. That ship has sailed. So they might as well flush 1.0a and replace it with something where they can at least profit.
If they remove the worst parts of 1.1 they will likely salvage some of their base. All of the competition are talking about making their own open TTRPG (with blackjack! and h--kers!) but it will be over a year before they can make and playtest something functional. D&D, with its actual game that exists, has a chance to reclaim some of the disaffected players and content creators if they break the silence.
Pathfinder is an actual game, that exists. Worse - for WotC - its freely available for play, and lives off the associated books and resources being nice enough that people want to buy them, despite the content being available legally, for free, on demand.
That means switching is going to be trivial for anyone who's upset, and spoiler alert, the only reason I've played 5E since PF2e came out is because other players were reluctant to try something new.
WotC just removed that obstacle for a whole lot of people.
The current PF, based on OGL 1.0a, exists. The new one they're promising to make along with their new license doesn't (yet.)
There will definitely be an uptick in PF2 players because of this, but at the end of the day it's still PF2. Nothing wrong with that, but some people just don't like it (myself included.)
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
I just cancelled my DND Beyond subscription after almost 2 years. Sorry DND Beyond, it was going to renew in 2 days, but after this dumpster fire of business strategy, I am afraid I am out.
Absolutely agree with the point: this is a creative game. It's based entirely on our imagination. To try and monetize the very act of creativity that drives that is an absolute insult of the highest order.
I feel sorry for the low levels within WotC they are getting screwed and I have a feeling Paizo will be in need of some people soon as the rise of the Orc as well as Kobold Press Project Black Flag comes to destroy D&D all over a bunch of idiots who never played the game that happen to work at Hasbro/WotC. Don't leave your job yet, no need to go broke, we will need spies and people to help keep the leaks coming. We all know who the real enemy is, and it's not you, and you do what needs to be done to support your families. When time comes were you can switch sides and away from WotC take it. The golden age of D&D is over. The age of the Table Top Wars have begun.
NICE!
Info, Inflow, Overload. Knowledge Black Hole Imminent!
I’m coming out of the woods here to say I’m impressed with other TTRPG systems and will be investing in those ones. Good bye D&D!
D&D is Now Trash
Goodbye
Once they perfect the AI DM in their virtual tabletop, the only way you'll be able to get magic items will be through loot boxes.
The age of OGL is over. The Time of the ORC has come!
The moment that WotC declares OGL 1.0a "de-authorized", "revoked" or any such nonsense is the moment I release as much content as possible under OGL 1.0a and say, "Sue me WotC". OGL1.0a cannot be revoked. If thousands of us do it, the countersuit will be a class action suit.
I'm wondering what's taking so long for WotC to get an answer out. It feels like the more they are waiting, the more other company's are preparing themselves to move away from D&D. My suggestion to them, copy paste v1.0a, add the word irrevocable to make it clear for everyone even though nobody really needs it since it is perpetual, but that is the only way that you'll get out of this mess...
It's too late for that. The damage is done. Even if they DID do that no one will trust their slimy asses. After shoddy releases like Spell Jammer and other sheisty books, then THIS, they have lost any goodwill they had with the community. Prepare to see DnD to shrink and wither as people jump ship. It may not die completely but I wouldn't be surprised to see another system become THE DnD system.
They probably saw how the wind was blowing, and realized that their planned message for today was just going to end up being gasoline to throw on the fire.
They blinked.
And then Paizo swept in and ruined whatever their backup plan was - any version of the OGL they try and push now has to compete with the terms of what is likely to be a rock solid perpetual irrevocable license without things like Royalties. And the only leverage they have to incite people to accept their terms is the now massively tainted (by WotC themselves) DnD brand...
I am currently still hanging onto my DnDBeyond subscription (I've plowed a lot of money into having the books online here), but if the new OGL goes the way it looks like it's going to go, I'm out. Ironically, I just increased my membership so that I could share the resources with a friend who wants to start playing, so I won't pay any more for about 11 months, but I can't believe how shoddy the leaked OGL looks for third-party providers. I can't support a company that is so monopolistic and tries to use its market power to bully small businesses, individual creators, and others. I'll be playtesting one of the new open rpgs and figuring out how to move to a new online platform. I've sunk a lot of money into my DnDBeyond membership, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy playing knowing that Hasbro and WOTC had left this many bodies on the field.
What a low life scum company. Hope everyone boycotts dndbeyond and any dnd related stuff
Well now, that's made decisions a helluva lot easier, hasn't it?
Congratulations, WoTC/Hasbro....you took a community that was eager to buy just about everything you published and was consistently clamoring for more, and made a huge population of them decide that you didn't appreciate them nearly as much as they appreciated you. I'd purchased physical copies of just about everything, and then DID purchase electronic copies of all the rulebooks so that my players had access to it all during our game sessions....conservatively $750 - $1000 over the last 3 years. The players in this campaign alone have undoubtedly spent money of their own. DnDBeyond was such an integral part of our character management and gameplay that I would've likely kept it until such time as we stopped playing entirely. Well, you just accelerated that process. The word will be going to the players tonight, even as my wife drives into town to pick up about $150 worth of Pathfinder books: get ready folks, we'll be shifting systems.
You've made your own grave-shaped bed, WoTC/Hasbro.....I hope you enjoy lying in it!
#OpenDND - opendnd.games
Here’s what I have to say about OGL 1.1 in a nutshell: (https://youtu.be/If6CP68Be2o).
Creating Epic Boons on DDB
DDB Buyers' Guide
Hardcovers, DDB & You
Content Troubleshooting
I don't get the ramifications of this, other than people with broken hearts because a company wants to make money.
Doesn't OGL affects companies or third party companies making stuff for players...I mean I can see why those folks would be upset but why players are so invested in hating that change?
(Not even being devil's advocate or anything, just asking)
Even if they did that, every 3PP would move forward with making ORC or whatever anyway. That ship has sailed. So they might as well flush 1.0a and replace it with something where they can at least profit.
If they remove the worst parts of 1.1 they will likely salvage some of their base. All of the competition are talking about making their own open TTRPG (with blackjack! and h--kers!) but it will be over a year before they can make and playtest something functional. D&D, with its actual game that exists, has a chance to reclaim some of the disaffected players and content creators if they break the silence.
You don’t lose what you purchased by cancel your subscription. You just lose access to the other things such as more than six characters. I had originally purchased all of the resources adventures before I ever had a subscription. as of 2 days ago I longer have the subscription and have full expectations the the content will remain.
There’s several things wrong, and although most of them are pretty bad on their own, it’s the totality of it that gets really egregious and speaks to an upper management that isn’t just “a company that wants to make money” but fundamentally not understanding the community.
One of the biggest ones is we have them attempting the legally dubious move of “de-authorizing” the OGL 1.0a which they have said for over 20 years that they could not do. (Even stating so in their own FAQ on it. Keep that in mind for a minute.) This has completely upended the majority of the industry and, no exaggeration, jeopardized the livelihoods of hundreds of people - all with originally only a week to react and decide what to do.
Then they wanted to push everyone to a new license that is SO bad and so massively one-sided that many, justifiably, believe it’s less about getting people to agree to it than it is to get people to negotiate custom licenses individually. There are many, many really bad terms in the new license that it’s hard to even list them all. Royalty rates 10x higher than might be standard for what’s being granted. Rights irrevocably to reuse all of your content without payment. Waiving the right to ever sue WotC. Agreeing to never disparage WotC. Financial reports of all your sales to WotC.
Worst of all is they can change the terms at any time to anything with only a 30 day notice.
However, they assure in comments and an apparent FAQ that they won’t abuse these terms and it’s not a big deal. But remember how much regard they give to FAQs? None. They have shown with their own behavior that no matter how clear their official explanation is, it can’t be trusted if it’s not clear in the legal text itself.
Top it off with nearly all of the creative team having started their careers at OGL publishers, there’s a strong element of “pulling the ladder up behind them” at play. Of course, it’s likely this all comes from execs who have been hired from Microsoft and other areas outside the RPG industry.
Oh, and almost forgot - they are also cutting off several VTTs and even ones with current licensing deals now have to worry how long WotC will honor that with their own VTT in development.
AND spend all this time saying nothing while publishers are having to reevaluate their entire business. Uncertainty just growing and growing, and it’s a complete mess.(And this isn’t even getting into their lies to try justifying it with talk of NFTs, or how the very person they had announce OneD&D is even telling them how bad it is and the most they can say “Be patient.”?)
In the span of a week, it has upended the entire industry and undermined trust they had built for years. Of course that is going to bleed over to the players who like many of these 3pp. No one 3pp is nearly the size of WotC, but many, many players like at least one 3pp as well as use one of the VTTs that might need to stop supporting 5e with only a week notice…
And on and on and on…
Pathfinder is an actual game, that exists. Worse - for WotC - its freely available for play, and lives off the associated books and resources being nice enough that people want to buy them, despite the content being available legally, for free, on demand.
That means switching is going to be trivial for anyone who's upset, and spoiler alert, the only reason I've played 5E since PF2e came out is because other players were reluctant to try something new.
WotC just removed that obstacle for a whole lot of people.
The current PF, based on OGL 1.0a, exists. The new one they're promising to make along with their new license doesn't (yet.)
There will definitely be an uptick in PF2 players because of this, but at the end of the day it's still PF2. Nothing wrong with that, but some people just don't like it (myself included.)