What Happened to Half-Elves? A Brazilian Player's Perspective on Mixed Ancestry, Representation, and D&D 2024
Hello, adventurers, Dungeon Masters, and fellow members of the Dungeons & Dragons community!
First of all, I hope you're all doing well, wherever you may be reading this post.
I'm a Brazilian player who has an immense love and appreciation for Dungeons & Dragons, especially the fifth edition released in 2014. It introduced me to the wonderful world of tabletop role-playing games and sparked a passion that has stayed with me ever since.
I decided to write this post to share some thoughts and constructive criticism regarding certain changes introduced in the 2024 Player's Handbook.
In particular, I'd like to discuss three topics:
The absence of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct playable species, and the future of mixed ancestry in D&D.
The reduction of certain cultural and narrative descriptions that once enriched character creation.
The changes to character backgrounds and how they affect players' creative freedom.
I want to make something clear from the beginning: I do not think the 2024 revision is bad. Quite the opposite. I recognize many of its improvements, and I'm genuinely grateful for them.
However, I believe that some decisions, even if made with good intentions, have left behind elements that made D&D especially meaningful to certain players.
This post is not intended to attack the developers, dismiss those who enjoy the new rules, or suggest that my opinion is the only correct one.
I simply want to share my perspective, explain why some of these changes have disappointed me, and, most importantly, hear what other players think.
1. The Absence of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs: More Than Just a Mechanical Change
One of the changes that saddened me the most was the absence of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct playable species in the 2024 Player's Handbook.
I understand that the revision aimed to modernize certain concepts, reconsider how the game approaches ancestry, and provide greater freedom in character creation.
However, I personally believe this issue deserved a more thoughtful and comprehensive solution.
I know that characters of mixed ancestry have not necessarily been prohibited. I also understand that previous materials can still be used, depending on the rules adopted by each table.
But I believe there is an important difference between allowing a player to describe their character as the descendant of two different species and officially recognizing that ancestry through its own traits, history, and possibilities.
I have always deeply identified with Half-Elves.
I'm Brazilian, born and raised in Brazil, a country profoundly shaped by the mixing of different peoples, cultures, and ancestries.
I have friends with Italian, Portuguese, English, Japanese, and many other ancestral backgrounds.
Of course, Brazil's history of mixed ancestry also involves inequality, violence, and social issues that should never be ignored.
Even so, I have always found something fascinating about different cultures coming together, sharing traditions, and creating new identities.
That's why the concept of Half-Elves has always held a special meaning for me.
They represent the possibility of belonging to two worlds without necessarily having to choose between them.
A Half-Elf might grow up among humans and feel too elven to be fully understood.
They might live among elves and be considered too human to truly belong.
But they might also be loved and accepted by both peoples.
They might carry the traditions of their elven mother, the teachings of their human father, and develop an identity that does not require rejecting either side of their heritage.
And that is precisely what I find so beautiful.
Being descended from two different species should not mean being an abomination, a mistake, or someone incomplete.
A Half-Elf is not half a person. They are a complete individual whose existence represents the meeting of two histories, two cultures, and, in many cases, the love between two different beings.
I have always found this idea deeply meaningful.
And I believe it deserves to be preserved and further developed, rather than being left entirely to the individual interpretation of players.
If the goal is to expand creative freedom, why not use this opportunity to develop mixed ancestry more thoroughly?
2. Characters Who Have Inspired Generations — And Our Own Stories
Dungeons & Dragons has a long history of mixed-ancestry characters who have earned the affection and admiration of fans.
Tanis Half-Elven, from Dragonlance, is a remarkable example of someone whose identity and personal struggles are deeply connected to his ancestry.
We can also remember Krydle, from Baldur's Gate, as well as the unforgettable Jaheira and Shadowheart, who gained even greater recognition through Baldur's Gate 3.
These characters demonstrate how mixed ancestry can profoundly enrich a story, influencing family relationships, cultural conflicts, personal decisions, and the way someone understands their place in the world.
But we don't have to look only at official characters.
I'm sure many of us have created characters who, despite being unknown outside our own tables, hold an enormous amount of meaning in our lives.
I myself have created countless Half-Elves over the years.
One of them was Aragorn Goldenheart, a paladin of noble birth who decided to follow in the footsteps of his human father, dedicating his life to protecting and helping those around him.
Aragorn was the protagonist of the first D&D campaign I ever played through to its conclusion.
Because of that, he holds a particularly important place in my heart.
I don't remember him merely for his abilities, equipment, or achievements in battle.
I remember the friendships, decisions, hardships, and experiences I lived through while portraying him.
His ancestry was part of his story and identity.
And I believe many players understand that feeling.
Sometimes, a character becomes more than just a character sheet. They become a reminder of an entire chapter of our lives.
I'd love to ask the community: Do you have any Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, or other mixed-ancestry characters who left a lasting impression on your campaigns?
If so, I'd genuinely love to hear their stories.
3. Prejudice, Cultural Differences, and the Importance of Exploring Difficult Themes
Another aspect I consider important is the possibility of using the different peoples of D&D to explore social issues, cultural differences, and even prejudice within fictional settings.
In many fantasy worlds, dwarves and elves have historical rivalries, cultural disagreements, and negative stereotypes about one another.
Some dwarves may consider elves arrogant, fragile, or excessively refined.
Likewise, certain elves may view dwarves as crude, stubborn, or incapable of appreciating other forms of knowledge and beauty.
These perceptions do not need to represent the truth about either people.
Instead, they can represent the prejudices that certain individuals or societies must learn to overcome.
Derogatory expressions such as knife-ears, used against elves in some fantasy settings, also demonstrate how discrimination can be incorporated into fictional worldbuilding.
Naturally, I'm not suggesting that every campaign should address racism, intolerance, or persecution.
These subjects require sensitivity, responsibility, and, most importantly, the consent of everyone involved.
After all, every table has its own preferences, boundaries, and expectations.
However, I believe there is a fundamental difference between portraying prejudice as a problem that must be confronted and presenting that prejudice as an inherent truth about a particular species.
A fictional world can contain injustice without its narrative endorsing that injustice.
In fact, confronting these injustices can become one of the most meaningful motivations for a character.
Imagine a campaign in which adventurers work to reconcile two peoples who have been historical enemies.
Or a Half-Elf paladin who dreams of building a kingdom where humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, and other species can live side by side, regardless of their differences.
Stories like these can convey powerful messages about tolerance, empathy, coexistence, and social change.
We do not need to erase the conflicts of a fictional world to create inclusive stories. We can allow our characters to confront those conflicts and transform the world around them.
And I believe D&D has always been an extraordinary way to tell these kinds of stories.
That doesn't mean prejudice needs to exist in every setting.
It simply means I would like to preserve the possibility of exploring these subjects when they make sense for the story and everyone involved.
4. Why Not Expand the Possibilities of Mixed Ancestry?
This issue also leads me to another question.
Why should the possibilities of mixed ancestry be limited to the combinations traditionally represented in the game?
Couldn't a dwarf and an elf fall in love?
Couldn't an orc and a halfling build a family together?
Couldn't a human and a goliath share their lives?
And what about gnomes and the many other species?
Of course, I understand that biological compatibility between different species depends on the rules and cosmology of each setting.
But we're talking about a universe where magic, divine intervention, extraordinary creatures, and nearly limitless possibilities exist.
Wouldn't it be interesting to provide official guidance allowing players and Dungeon Masters to explore these different ancestries?
This wouldn't necessarily require creating dozens of entirely new species.
Instead, an optional and balanced system could allow characters to inherit certain characteristics from different parents.
Imagine, for example, a system where certain ancestry traits could be selected from compatible options, while respecting clear mechanical limitations.
Such a system could expand character diversity without compromising game balance.
It could also provide narrative suggestions about how different cultures and families might influence a character's upbringing.
In my opinion, this would be a far more interesting evolution than simply removing Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct playable options.
Rather than reducing the representation of mixed ancestry, we could expand it.
And here's another question: Would you prefer the return of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct species, an optional mixed-ancestry system, or a combination of both?
I'm genuinely curious to hear different perspectives on this.
5. Tieflings: An Example of How Narrative Worldbuilding Can Explore Social Issues
One of the most interesting examples of this can be found in the 2014 fifth edition itself.
In the description of Tieflings, the Player's Handbook directly addressed the distrust and prejudice faced by individuals of infernal ancestry.
The book explained how merchants, guards, and ordinary citizens often viewed Tieflings with suspicion, assuming that their appearance or ancestry also determined their morality.
However, the text itself made it clear that a Tiefling's lineage did not define their personality.
What often influenced their behavior were the experiences they endured in a society that treated them with distrust.
Some Tieflings responded by becoming suspicious or hostile.
Others sought to demonstrate their virtue, earn respect, or overcome the stereotypes associated with their appearance.
I have always found this approach particularly interesting because it explored a complex social issue.
A character did not have to be evil simply because they possessed infernal ancestry.
They could even dedicate their entire life to helping the very people who looked down upon them.
Likewise, I consider the inclusion of Aasimar among the main playable species in the 2024 Player's Handbook a positive decision.
The thematic contrast between celestial and infernal influences can provide fascinating narrative possibilities, especially when these influences do not automatically determine a character's morality.
An Aasimar can be cruel and selfish, while a Tiefling can be kind and altruistic.
Ancestry does not have to determine morality.
And I believe that is an important message.
What saddens me, however, is that many of the cultural descriptions, social conflicts, and narrative characteristics present in the 2014 book received considerably less attention in the 2024 revision.
I understand that the intention may have been to make the material more accessible and better organized.
But I miss the descriptions that helped us understand how different peoples lived, how they were perceived by other societies, and what kinds of conflicts they might face.
These elements were not merely additional information.
They were sources of inspiration for creating characters, families, communities, and stories.
I would love to see future publications restore this narrative depth while, of course, avoiding the presentation of cultural stereotypes as universal or inevitable characteristics.
Do you also miss the more extensive species descriptions from the 2014 book? Or do you prefer the more straightforward approach taken in 2024?
6. The Mechanical Freedom of 2024 Deserves Recognition
Despite these criticisms, I would also like to praise one of the changes I appreciated the most.
Decoupling ability score increases from species, continuing a design direction that had already begun in earlier publications, was an excellent decision.
In the 2014 fifth edition, certain combinations of species and classes were mechanically more advantageous than others.
This frequently encouraged players to choose a species not because of the story they wanted to tell, but because of the numerical benefits it provided.
With the new approach, players have much greater freedom to create unconventional characters without suffering as many disadvantages for their thematic choices.
An orc can become an extraordinary wizard.
An elf can become a formidable barbarian.
A gnome can aspire to be a warrior, while a goliath can dedicate their life to studying the arcane arts.
This freedom is wonderful.
And I'm sincerely grateful for this change.
That's why my criticism regarding the absence of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs does not mean that I wish to return entirely to the previous system.
Quite the opposite.
I would love to see the mechanical freedom achieved in 2024 accompanied by an equally comprehensive level of narrative freedom.
I believe we can preserve the improvements of the revision without abandoning the identities and possibilities that made the 2014 edition so special.
7. Character Backgrounds and the Loss of Some Creative Freedom
Another change I'd like to address concerns character backgrounds.
In the 2014 fifth edition, backgrounds included descriptions, personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws, and other suggestions that helped players develop their characters' personal histories.
These elements were particularly valuable for players who, like me, enjoy writing stories and developing complex characters.
Although many of these suggestions can still be used freely, I miss their presence and prominence in the new book.
Furthermore, tying specific backgrounds to particular ability score increases and Origin Feats can create unwanted mechanical limitations.
In some situations, players must choose between the background that best represents their character's story and the one that provides the most suitable mechanical benefits.
This seems somewhat contradictory to the goal of expanding creative freedom.
If the intention was to prevent players from feeling obligated to choose a particular species to optimize their class, why introduce similar restrictions through backgrounds?
I understand the importance of mechanical balance, and I recognize that alternative customization options exist depending on the materials and rules being used.
Even so, I would love to see custom background creation become more accessible and receive greater emphasis in the core rules.
After all, a character should not have to sacrifice the coherence of their personal story just to obtain an appropriate feat or ability score combination.
I would also welcome the return of more detailed narrative descriptions, accompanied by suggestions for personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws.
These resources were especially valuable for new players and for those who enjoy developing elaborate character histories.
How do you feel about the 2024 backgrounds? Do you prefer the new structure, or would you like to see some of the flexibility and narrative suggestions from 2014 return?
8. I Recognize and Appreciate the Improvements of the New Edition
I don't want this post to be interpreted as a rejection of the work accomplished by the Dungeons & Dragons team.
There are many improvements that deserve genuine praise.
The reorganization of the book has made various rules and information more accessible.
The illustrations are beautiful and showcase the remarkable talent of the artists involved.
The revisions to classes, subclasses, spells, and abilities have introduced interesting changes to game balance and the overall playing experience.
Even when I disagree with certain decisions, I recognize the tremendous effort required to revise a system as extensive and beloved as Dungeons & Dragons.
I understand that it's impossible to please everyone.
I also know that every player has different preferences.
Some people primarily value mechanical balance.
Others prefer narrative freedom.
Some enjoy more detailed rules, while others appreciate simpler and more flexible systems.
And I believe all these perspectives deserve to be heard.
My intention is not to claim that the 2014 edition was perfect or that the 2024 revision was a mistake.
I simply hope future publications can find ways to preserve mechanical improvements without sacrificing the narrative richness that so many players appreciate.
9. What Dungeons & Dragons Means to Me
I'd like to share something personal with you.
Dungeons & Dragons changed my life.
I don't say that as an exaggeration.
During my teenage years, tabletop role-playing games helped me through difficult times, including periods of depression.
Through the campaigns I played, I learned to communicate more effectively, developed social skills, and found ways to express feelings, ideas, and stories that I previously struggled to share.
I met extraordinary people.
I built friendships that remain an important part of my life to this day.
I learned to work as part of a team, understand different perspectives, and appreciate experiences I might never have had in quite the same way without tabletop RPGs.
D&D was part of my adolescence, and it continues to be part of my adult life.
Every character I created, every campaign I participated in, and every story I shared with my friends represents a precious memory.
And Half-Elves have always been part of that journey.
That's why their absence from the new Player's Handbook carries a meaning that goes far beyond game mechanics.
I'm not simply missing a playable species.
I'm missing a form of representation with which I have always deeply identified.
Perhaps other players don't share this feeling, and that's perfectly fine.
But I imagine some people here have also created characters who represented something deeply personal.
Perhaps a character helped someone overcome a difficult period in their life.
Perhaps a campaign led to unexpected friendships.
Or perhaps a fictional story helped someone better understand their own identity.
I believe that's one of the greatest qualities of tabletop role-playing games.
They allow us to experience extraordinary stories while discovering a little more about ourselves.
10. What I Would Love to See in the Future of D&D
If I could offer a few suggestions to the development team, they would be the following:
1. Bring back Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as officially recognized playable options.
Whether through distinct species entries or a more comprehensive system for mixed ancestry.
2. Introduce an optional system for characters descended from different species.
Something that would allow players to explore new ancestry combinations in a balanced way that respects the lore of different settings.
3. Restore more detailed cultural and narrative descriptions.
I'd love to learn more about the traditions, histories, relationships, and conflicts of the peoples who inhabit the different worlds of D&D.
4. Provide greater flexibility in character background creation.
Especially to avoid situations where players must choose between their character's story and the mechanical features they want to use.
5. Bring back narrative suggestions such as personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws.
These resources have always been excellent sources of inspiration, particularly for new players.
6. Continue updating popular playable species.
Species such as Tabaxi, Aarakocra, and many others deserve continued attention in future publications.
I don't believe all these suggestions need to be implemented exactly as I've described them.
They're simply possibilities that, in my opinion, could make the game even richer.
And I'd love to hear other suggestions from the community.
11. Final Thoughts: A Reflection and an Invitation to the Community
If you've made it this far, I'd like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this post.
I know I've written quite a lot, but this is a subject that holds a very special meaning for me.
I didn't write this out of contempt for the developers' work, nor do I wish to diminish the improvements introduced in the new edition.
I wrote it because I love Dungeons & Dragons.
Because this game has given me experiences that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.
And because I believe it can continue evolving without leaving behind the very things that made so many players fall in love with its universe.
Diversity is not found only in the differences between peoples, but also in the stories that emerge when they come together.
A Half-Elf should not have to choose between being human or elven.
They can be both.
And above all, they can simply be themselves.
I'd genuinely love to hear your thoughts:
Do you miss Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct playable species?
Do you think a mixed-ancestry system would be a good addition to D&D 2024?
Do you prefer the narrative descriptions and backgrounds from 2014, or the more straightforward approach taken in 2024?
And most importantly, is there a character who has profoundly shaped your experience with Dungeons & Dragons?
I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
In fact, I'd genuinely welcome different perspectives, as long as we can discuss them with respect and kindness.
I believe constructive discussions like this are important for the future of our hobby.
And if anyone from the Dungeons & Dragons development team happens to read this post, I sincerely hope you'll consider the thoughts and suggestions shared here.
Thank you very much for your time and for the countless stories we've created together around our tables.
I’d like to point out half-elves (renamed Khoravar) are in Eberron: Forge of the Artificer and Half-Orcs (renamed Jhorgun’taal) appear in the partnered book Exploring Eberron
I think this was covered just recently on another thread. In my humble opinion it's not so much a matter of cultural sensitivity as it is a matter of pragmatism. Books cost money, shipping costs money. If WotC puts half-elves and half-orcs into the Player's handbook, then they would have to put every possible combination of every playable species or risk being seen as exclusionary. And since there are dozens and dozens of available playable species, the result would literally be THOUSANDS of potential combinations. If they were to put all of those into print, the Player's Handbook would weight more than me.
From the very beginning of D&D, every DMG in every edition has emphasized that the printed "rules" are not meant to be restrictive in any way. They are nothing more than a suggested framework upon which we may each build our own worlds for our own games.
It's both cultural sensitivity(eugenics, IRL hatred allegories, Gygaxisms) & pragmatism(infinite combinations, WotC changing lore being disliked, page count, damned if they do, damned if they don't)
I'd look to Eberron-related stuff, both 1st & 3rd party, for the related species that solve a lot of this.
Because that setting has WAY less problematic stuff in it due to it being a more recent setting.
Also, you might want to not use AI to make your points.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
DM, player & homebrewer(Current homebrew project is an unofficial conversion of SBURB/SGRUB from Homestuck into DND 5e)
Once made Maxwell's Silver Hammer come down upon Strahd's head to make sure he was dead.
Always study & sharpen philosophical razors. They save a lot of trouble.
The half-races (now species) were too strongly informed by real-world American views on race, which are themselves informed by hundreds of years of systemic racism that predate but absolutely shaped the founding of the country. I'm white and I'm tired of working against white supremacy. I don't want to have to deal with it during my escapist fantasy fun time. There's no good reason or ethical justification for continuing to force it on players in this the year of our lord two thousand and twenty-six. Homebrew to your heart's content if you want to suffer and fight systemic racism in your home game, but don't force it on the rest of us.
It seems unnecessary to have made yet another thread about this. All the more so because the post has all the hallmarks of an AI-generated screed. One wonders why you would bother posting at all when you couldn't be troubled to do it yourself.
The half-races (now species) were too strongly informed by real-world American views on race, which are themselves informed by hundreds of years of systemic racism that predate but absolutely shaped the founding of the country. I'm white and I'm tired of working against white supremacy. I don't want to have to deal with it during my escapist fantasy fun time. There's no good reason or ethical justification for continuing to force it on players in this the year of our lord two thousand and twenty-six. Homebrew to your heart's content if you want to suffer and fight systemic racism in your home game, but don't force it on the rest of us.
It seems unnecessary to have made yet another thread about this. All the more so because the post has all the hallmarks of an AI-generated screed. One wonders why you would bother posting at all when you couldn't be troubled to do it yourself.
I think it's a language barrier thing(They are Brazilian), but even still..
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
DM, player & homebrewer(Current homebrew project is an unofficial conversion of SBURB/SGRUB from Homestuck into DND 5e)
Once made Maxwell's Silver Hammer come down upon Strahd's head to make sure he was dead.
Always study & sharpen philosophical razors. They save a lot of trouble.
To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
What Happened to Half-Elves? A Brazilian Player's Perspective on Mixed Ancestry, Representation, and D&D 2024
Hello, adventurers, Dungeon Masters, and fellow members of the Dungeons & Dragons community!
First of all, I hope you're all doing well, wherever you may be reading this post.
I'm a Brazilian player who has an immense love and appreciation for Dungeons & Dragons, especially the fifth edition released in 2014. It introduced me to the wonderful world of tabletop role-playing games and sparked a passion that has stayed with me ever since.
I decided to write this post to share some thoughts and constructive criticism regarding certain changes introduced in the 2024 Player's Handbook.
In particular, I'd like to discuss three topics:
The absence of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct playable species, and the future of mixed ancestry in D&D.
The reduction of certain cultural and narrative descriptions that once enriched character creation.
The changes to character backgrounds and how they affect players' creative freedom.
I want to make something clear from the beginning: I do not think the 2024 revision is bad. Quite the opposite. I recognize many of its improvements, and I'm genuinely grateful for them.
However, I believe that some decisions, even if made with good intentions, have left behind elements that made D&D especially meaningful to certain players.
This post is not intended to attack the developers, dismiss those who enjoy the new rules, or suggest that my opinion is the only correct one.
I simply want to share my perspective, explain why some of these changes have disappointed me, and, most importantly, hear what other players think.
1. The Absence of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs: More Than Just a Mechanical Change
One of the changes that saddened me the most was the absence of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct playable species in the 2024 Player's Handbook.
I understand that the revision aimed to modernize certain concepts, reconsider how the game approaches ancestry, and provide greater freedom in character creation.
However, I personally believe this issue deserved a more thoughtful and comprehensive solution.
I know that characters of mixed ancestry have not necessarily been prohibited. I also understand that previous materials can still be used, depending on the rules adopted by each table.
But I believe there is an important difference between allowing a player to describe their character as the descendant of two different species and officially recognizing that ancestry through its own traits, history, and possibilities.
I have always deeply identified with Half-Elves.
I'm Brazilian, born and raised in Brazil, a country profoundly shaped by the mixing of different peoples, cultures, and ancestries.
I have friends with Italian, Portuguese, English, Japanese, and many other ancestral backgrounds.
Of course, Brazil's history of mixed ancestry also involves inequality, violence, and social issues that should never be ignored.
Even so, I have always found something fascinating about different cultures coming together, sharing traditions, and creating new identities.
That's why the concept of Half-Elves has always held a special meaning for me.
They represent the possibility of belonging to two worlds without necessarily having to choose between them.
A Half-Elf might grow up among humans and feel too elven to be fully understood.
They might live among elves and be considered too human to truly belong.
But they might also be loved and accepted by both peoples.
They might carry the traditions of their elven mother, the teachings of their human father, and develop an identity that does not require rejecting either side of their heritage.
And that is precisely what I find so beautiful.
Being descended from two different species should not mean being an abomination, a mistake, or someone incomplete.
A Half-Elf is not half a person. They are a complete individual whose existence represents the meeting of two histories, two cultures, and, in many cases, the love between two different beings.
I have always found this idea deeply meaningful.
And I believe it deserves to be preserved and further developed, rather than being left entirely to the individual interpretation of players.
If the goal is to expand creative freedom, why not use this opportunity to develop mixed ancestry more thoroughly?
2. Characters Who Have Inspired Generations — And Our Own Stories
Dungeons & Dragons has a long history of mixed-ancestry characters who have earned the affection and admiration of fans.
Tanis Half-Elven, from Dragonlance, is a remarkable example of someone whose identity and personal struggles are deeply connected to his ancestry.
We can also remember Krydle, from Baldur's Gate, as well as the unforgettable Jaheira and Shadowheart, who gained even greater recognition through Baldur's Gate 3.
These characters demonstrate how mixed ancestry can profoundly enrich a story, influencing family relationships, cultural conflicts, personal decisions, and the way someone understands their place in the world.
But we don't have to look only at official characters.
I'm sure many of us have created characters who, despite being unknown outside our own tables, hold an enormous amount of meaning in our lives.
I myself have created countless Half-Elves over the years.
One of them was Aragorn Goldenheart, a paladin of noble birth who decided to follow in the footsteps of his human father, dedicating his life to protecting and helping those around him.
Aragorn was the protagonist of the first D&D campaign I ever played through to its conclusion.
Because of that, he holds a particularly important place in my heart.
I don't remember him merely for his abilities, equipment, or achievements in battle.
I remember the friendships, decisions, hardships, and experiences I lived through while portraying him.
His ancestry was part of his story and identity.
And I believe many players understand that feeling.
Sometimes, a character becomes more than just a character sheet. They become a reminder of an entire chapter of our lives.
I'd love to ask the community: Do you have any Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, or other mixed-ancestry characters who left a lasting impression on your campaigns?
If so, I'd genuinely love to hear their stories.
3. Prejudice, Cultural Differences, and the Importance of Exploring Difficult Themes
Another aspect I consider important is the possibility of using the different peoples of D&D to explore social issues, cultural differences, and even prejudice within fictional settings.
In many fantasy worlds, dwarves and elves have historical rivalries, cultural disagreements, and negative stereotypes about one another.
Some dwarves may consider elves arrogant, fragile, or excessively refined.
Likewise, certain elves may view dwarves as crude, stubborn, or incapable of appreciating other forms of knowledge and beauty.
These perceptions do not need to represent the truth about either people.
Instead, they can represent the prejudices that certain individuals or societies must learn to overcome.
Derogatory expressions such as knife-ears, used against elves in some fantasy settings, also demonstrate how discrimination can be incorporated into fictional worldbuilding.
Naturally, I'm not suggesting that every campaign should address racism, intolerance, or persecution.
These subjects require sensitivity, responsibility, and, most importantly, the consent of everyone involved.
After all, every table has its own preferences, boundaries, and expectations.
However, I believe there is a fundamental difference between portraying prejudice as a problem that must be confronted and presenting that prejudice as an inherent truth about a particular species.
A fictional world can contain injustice without its narrative endorsing that injustice.
In fact, confronting these injustices can become one of the most meaningful motivations for a character.
Imagine a campaign in which adventurers work to reconcile two peoples who have been historical enemies.
Or a Half-Elf paladin who dreams of building a kingdom where humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, and other species can live side by side, regardless of their differences.
Stories like these can convey powerful messages about tolerance, empathy, coexistence, and social change.
We do not need to erase the conflicts of a fictional world to create inclusive stories. We can allow our characters to confront those conflicts and transform the world around them.
And I believe D&D has always been an extraordinary way to tell these kinds of stories.
That doesn't mean prejudice needs to exist in every setting.
It simply means I would like to preserve the possibility of exploring these subjects when they make sense for the story and everyone involved.
4. Why Not Expand the Possibilities of Mixed Ancestry?
This issue also leads me to another question.
Why should the possibilities of mixed ancestry be limited to the combinations traditionally represented in the game?
Couldn't a dwarf and an elf fall in love?
Couldn't an orc and a halfling build a family together?
Couldn't a human and a goliath share their lives?
And what about gnomes and the many other species?
Of course, I understand that biological compatibility between different species depends on the rules and cosmology of each setting.
But we're talking about a universe where magic, divine intervention, extraordinary creatures, and nearly limitless possibilities exist.
Wouldn't it be interesting to provide official guidance allowing players and Dungeon Masters to explore these different ancestries?
This wouldn't necessarily require creating dozens of entirely new species.
Instead, an optional and balanced system could allow characters to inherit certain characteristics from different parents.
Imagine, for example, a system where certain ancestry traits could be selected from compatible options, while respecting clear mechanical limitations.
Such a system could expand character diversity without compromising game balance.
It could also provide narrative suggestions about how different cultures and families might influence a character's upbringing.
In my opinion, this would be a far more interesting evolution than simply removing Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct playable options.
Rather than reducing the representation of mixed ancestry, we could expand it.
And here's another question: Would you prefer the return of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct species, an optional mixed-ancestry system, or a combination of both?
I'm genuinely curious to hear different perspectives on this.
5. Tieflings: An Example of How Narrative Worldbuilding Can Explore Social Issues
One of the most interesting examples of this can be found in the 2014 fifth edition itself.
In the description of Tieflings, the Player's Handbook directly addressed the distrust and prejudice faced by individuals of infernal ancestry.
The book explained how merchants, guards, and ordinary citizens often viewed Tieflings with suspicion, assuming that their appearance or ancestry also determined their morality.
However, the text itself made it clear that a Tiefling's lineage did not define their personality.
What often influenced their behavior were the experiences they endured in a society that treated them with distrust.
Some Tieflings responded by becoming suspicious or hostile.
Others sought to demonstrate their virtue, earn respect, or overcome the stereotypes associated with their appearance.
I have always found this approach particularly interesting because it explored a complex social issue.
A character did not have to be evil simply because they possessed infernal ancestry.
They could even dedicate their entire life to helping the very people who looked down upon them.
Likewise, I consider the inclusion of Aasimar among the main playable species in the 2024 Player's Handbook a positive decision.
The thematic contrast between celestial and infernal influences can provide fascinating narrative possibilities, especially when these influences do not automatically determine a character's morality.
An Aasimar can be cruel and selfish, while a Tiefling can be kind and altruistic.
Ancestry does not have to determine morality.
And I believe that is an important message.
What saddens me, however, is that many of the cultural descriptions, social conflicts, and narrative characteristics present in the 2014 book received considerably less attention in the 2024 revision.
I understand that the intention may have been to make the material more accessible and better organized.
But I miss the descriptions that helped us understand how different peoples lived, how they were perceived by other societies, and what kinds of conflicts they might face.
These elements were not merely additional information.
They were sources of inspiration for creating characters, families, communities, and stories.
I would love to see future publications restore this narrative depth while, of course, avoiding the presentation of cultural stereotypes as universal or inevitable characteristics.
Do you also miss the more extensive species descriptions from the 2014 book? Or do you prefer the more straightforward approach taken in 2024?
6. The Mechanical Freedom of 2024 Deserves Recognition
Despite these criticisms, I would also like to praise one of the changes I appreciated the most.
Decoupling ability score increases from species, continuing a design direction that had already begun in earlier publications, was an excellent decision.
In the 2014 fifth edition, certain combinations of species and classes were mechanically more advantageous than others.
This frequently encouraged players to choose a species not because of the story they wanted to tell, but because of the numerical benefits it provided.
With the new approach, players have much greater freedom to create unconventional characters without suffering as many disadvantages for their thematic choices.
An orc can become an extraordinary wizard.
An elf can become a formidable barbarian.
A gnome can aspire to be a warrior, while a goliath can dedicate their life to studying the arcane arts.
This freedom is wonderful.
And I'm sincerely grateful for this change.
That's why my criticism regarding the absence of Half-Elves and Half-Orcs does not mean that I wish to return entirely to the previous system.
Quite the opposite.
I would love to see the mechanical freedom achieved in 2024 accompanied by an equally comprehensive level of narrative freedom.
I believe we can preserve the improvements of the revision without abandoning the identities and possibilities that made the 2014 edition so special.
7. Character Backgrounds and the Loss of Some Creative Freedom
Another change I'd like to address concerns character backgrounds.
In the 2014 fifth edition, backgrounds included descriptions, personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws, and other suggestions that helped players develop their characters' personal histories.
These elements were particularly valuable for players who, like me, enjoy writing stories and developing complex characters.
Although many of these suggestions can still be used freely, I miss their presence and prominence in the new book.
Furthermore, tying specific backgrounds to particular ability score increases and Origin Feats can create unwanted mechanical limitations.
In some situations, players must choose between the background that best represents their character's story and the one that provides the most suitable mechanical benefits.
This seems somewhat contradictory to the goal of expanding creative freedom.
If the intention was to prevent players from feeling obligated to choose a particular species to optimize their class, why introduce similar restrictions through backgrounds?
I understand the importance of mechanical balance, and I recognize that alternative customization options exist depending on the materials and rules being used.
Even so, I would love to see custom background creation become more accessible and receive greater emphasis in the core rules.
After all, a character should not have to sacrifice the coherence of their personal story just to obtain an appropriate feat or ability score combination.
I would also welcome the return of more detailed narrative descriptions, accompanied by suggestions for personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws.
These resources were especially valuable for new players and for those who enjoy developing elaborate character histories.
How do you feel about the 2024 backgrounds? Do you prefer the new structure, or would you like to see some of the flexibility and narrative suggestions from 2014 return?
8. I Recognize and Appreciate the Improvements of the New Edition
I don't want this post to be interpreted as a rejection of the work accomplished by the Dungeons & Dragons team.
There are many improvements that deserve genuine praise.
The reorganization of the book has made various rules and information more accessible.
The illustrations are beautiful and showcase the remarkable talent of the artists involved.
The revisions to classes, subclasses, spells, and abilities have introduced interesting changes to game balance and the overall playing experience.
Even when I disagree with certain decisions, I recognize the tremendous effort required to revise a system as extensive and beloved as Dungeons & Dragons.
I understand that it's impossible to please everyone.
I also know that every player has different preferences.
Some people primarily value mechanical balance.
Others prefer narrative freedom.
Some enjoy more detailed rules, while others appreciate simpler and more flexible systems.
And I believe all these perspectives deserve to be heard.
My intention is not to claim that the 2014 edition was perfect or that the 2024 revision was a mistake.
I simply hope future publications can find ways to preserve mechanical improvements without sacrificing the narrative richness that so many players appreciate.
9. What Dungeons & Dragons Means to Me
I'd like to share something personal with you.
Dungeons & Dragons changed my life.
I don't say that as an exaggeration.
During my teenage years, tabletop role-playing games helped me through difficult times, including periods of depression.
Through the campaigns I played, I learned to communicate more effectively, developed social skills, and found ways to express feelings, ideas, and stories that I previously struggled to share.
I met extraordinary people.
I built friendships that remain an important part of my life to this day.
I learned to work as part of a team, understand different perspectives, and appreciate experiences I might never have had in quite the same way without tabletop RPGs.
D&D was part of my adolescence, and it continues to be part of my adult life.
Every character I created, every campaign I participated in, and every story I shared with my friends represents a precious memory.
And Half-Elves have always been part of that journey.
That's why their absence from the new Player's Handbook carries a meaning that goes far beyond game mechanics.
I'm not simply missing a playable species.
I'm missing a form of representation with which I have always deeply identified.
Perhaps other players don't share this feeling, and that's perfectly fine.
But I imagine some people here have also created characters who represented something deeply personal.
Perhaps a character helped someone overcome a difficult period in their life.
Perhaps a campaign led to unexpected friendships.
Or perhaps a fictional story helped someone better understand their own identity.
I believe that's one of the greatest qualities of tabletop role-playing games.
They allow us to experience extraordinary stories while discovering a little more about ourselves.
10. What I Would Love to See in the Future of D&D
If I could offer a few suggestions to the development team, they would be the following:
1. Bring back Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as officially recognized playable options.
Whether through distinct species entries or a more comprehensive system for mixed ancestry.
2. Introduce an optional system for characters descended from different species.
Something that would allow players to explore new ancestry combinations in a balanced way that respects the lore of different settings.
3. Restore more detailed cultural and narrative descriptions.
I'd love to learn more about the traditions, histories, relationships, and conflicts of the peoples who inhabit the different worlds of D&D.
4. Provide greater flexibility in character background creation.
Especially to avoid situations where players must choose between their character's story and the mechanical features they want to use.
5. Bring back narrative suggestions such as personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws.
These resources have always been excellent sources of inspiration, particularly for new players.
6. Continue updating popular playable species.
Species such as Tabaxi, Aarakocra, and many others deserve continued attention in future publications.
I don't believe all these suggestions need to be implemented exactly as I've described them.
They're simply possibilities that, in my opinion, could make the game even richer.
And I'd love to hear other suggestions from the community.
11. Final Thoughts: A Reflection and an Invitation to the Community
If you've made it this far, I'd like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to read this post.
I know I've written quite a lot, but this is a subject that holds a very special meaning for me.
I didn't write this out of contempt for the developers' work, nor do I wish to diminish the improvements introduced in the new edition.
I wrote it because I love Dungeons & Dragons.
Because this game has given me experiences that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.
And because I believe it can continue evolving without leaving behind the very things that made so many players fall in love with its universe.
Diversity is not found only in the differences between peoples, but also in the stories that emerge when they come together.
A Half-Elf should not have to choose between being human or elven.
They can be both.
And above all, they can simply be themselves.
I'd genuinely love to hear your thoughts:
Do you miss Half-Elves and Half-Orcs as distinct playable species?
Do you think a mixed-ancestry system would be a good addition to D&D 2024?
Do you prefer the narrative descriptions and backgrounds from 2014, or the more straightforward approach taken in 2024?
And most importantly, is there a character who has profoundly shaped your experience with Dungeons & Dragons?
I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
In fact, I'd genuinely welcome different perspectives, as long as we can discuss them with respect and kindness.
I believe constructive discussions like this are important for the future of our hobby.
And if anyone from the Dungeons & Dragons development team happens to read this post, I sincerely hope you'll consider the thoughts and suggestions shared here.
Thank you very much for your time and for the countless stories we've created together around our tables.
With respect, gratitude, and hope,
A Brazilian Player Who Loves Dungeons & Dragons
I’d like to point out half-elves (renamed Khoravar) are in Eberron: Forge of the Artificer and Half-Orcs (renamed Jhorgun’taal) appear in the partnered book Exploring Eberron
5.5e has half-elves as a playable species: the Khoravar.
DM mostly, Player occasionally | Session 0 form | He/Him/They/Them
EXTENDED SIGNATURE!
Doctor/Published Scholar/Science and Healthcare Advocate/Critter/Trekkie/Gandalf with a Glock
Try DDB free: Free Rules (2024), premade PCs, adventures, one shots, encounters, SC, homebrew, more
Answers: physical books, purchases, and subbing.
Check out my life-changing
I think this was covered just recently on another thread. In my humble opinion it's not so much a matter of cultural sensitivity as it is a matter of pragmatism. Books cost money, shipping costs money. If WotC puts half-elves and half-orcs into the Player's handbook, then they would have to put every possible combination of every playable species or risk being seen as exclusionary. And since there are dozens and dozens of available playable species, the result would literally be THOUSANDS of potential combinations. If they were to put all of those into print, the Player's Handbook would weight more than me.
From the very beginning of D&D, every DMG in every edition has emphasized that the printed "rules" are not meant to be restrictive in any way. They are nothing more than a suggested framework upon which we may each build our own worlds for our own games.
Anzio Faro. Protector Aasimar light cleric. Lvl 18.
Viktor Gavriil. White dragonborn grave cleric. Lvl 20.
Ikram Sahir ibn-Malik al-Sayyid Ra'ad. Brass dragonborn draconic sorcerer Lvl 9. Fire elemental devil.
Wrangler of cats.
It's both cultural sensitivity(eugenics, IRL hatred allegories, Gygaxisms) & pragmatism(infinite combinations, WotC changing lore being disliked, page count, damned if they do, damned if they don't)
I'd look to Eberron-related stuff, both 1st & 3rd party, for the related species that solve a lot of this.
Because that setting has WAY less problematic stuff in it due to it being a more recent setting.
Also, you might want to not use AI to make your points.
DM, player & homebrewer(Current homebrew project is an unofficial conversion of SBURB/SGRUB from Homestuck into DND 5e)
Once made Maxwell's Silver Hammer come down upon Strahd's head to make sure he was dead.
Always study & sharpen philosophical razors. They save a lot of trouble.
The half-races (now species) were too strongly informed by real-world American views on race, which are themselves informed by hundreds of years of systemic racism that predate but absolutely shaped the founding of the country. I'm white and I'm tired of working against white supremacy. I don't want to have to deal with it during my escapist fantasy fun time. There's no good reason or ethical justification for continuing to force it on players in this the year of our lord two thousand and twenty-six. Homebrew to your heart's content if you want to suffer and fight systemic racism in your home game, but don't force it on the rest of us.
It seems unnecessary to have made yet another thread about this. All the more so because the post has all the hallmarks of an AI-generated screed. One wonders why you would bother posting at all when you couldn't be troubled to do it yourself.
I think it's a language barrier thing(They are Brazilian), but even still..
DM, player & homebrewer(Current homebrew project is an unofficial conversion of SBURB/SGRUB from Homestuck into DND 5e)
Once made Maxwell's Silver Hammer come down upon Strahd's head to make sure he was dead.
Always study & sharpen philosophical razors. They save a lot of trouble.