. . .All tool uses are skill checks as the primary source of proficiency. You only go to tool proficiency if (1) you aren't proficient in the appropriate skill for what you're doing, or (2) for advantage if you do have the appropriate skill.
Not completely true. There are some tools, such as Carpenter Tools and Blacksmithing Tools, that don't really have any skill as a primary source of proficiency. They might have a skill in specific situations (e.g., Investigation if a character is inspecting a weapon), but for the most part they can only benefit from a Proficiency Bonus if the user is proficient in the tool.
That is not the case in the overall thread here (Sleight of Hand with Thieves Tools), but it is possible for the situation to occur.
. . .All tool uses are skill checks as the primary source of proficiency. You only go to tool proficiency if (1) you aren't proficient in the appropriate skill for what you're doing, or (2) for advantage if you do have the appropriate skill.
Not completely true. There are some tools, such as Carpenter Tools and Blacksmithing Tools, that don't really have any skill as a primary source of proficiency. They might have a skill in specific situations (e.g., Investigation if a character is inspecting a weapon), but for the most part they can only benefit from a Proficiency Bonus if the user is proficient in the tool.
That is not the case in the overall thread here (Sleight of Hand with Thieves Tools), but it is possible for the situation to occur.
Is there any specific example of a Carpenter or Smith Tool test in the rules anywhere? Honestly, both of these feel like things that give you abilities (to craft) rather than requiring checks.
The general listed utilize action for those tools... can be done (and better!) without those tools. (And not even necessarily DC20). Sealing a door is just a utilize action with a spike and a hammer, no test required. Prying open a container is a task for a crowbar, not a specialized set of artisans tools. (Disassembling the container instead is probably a sleight of hand check at best). Opening a sealed or stuck door is what a portable ram is for.
None of those things are what carpenter's or smith's tools should be used for.
After reading all these entries I'm more confused than before. Are we settled on "tool proficiency" and "relevant skill proficiency/expertise" combine for proficiency/expertise plus advantage? That's how I read it. Basically your highest level of proficiency and advantage for investing in both tool and skill?
After reading all these entries I'm more confused than before. Are we settled on "tool proficiency" and "relevant skill proficiency/expertise" combine for proficiency/expertise plus advantage? That's how I read it. Basically your highest level of proficiency and advantage for investing in both tool and skill?
The reason I chimed in at all is that 2014 and 2024 rules are different.
2014 there is no ability applied to a tool and an example given is specifically for woodcarver's tools:
Tool use is not tied to a single ability, since proficiency with a tool represents broader knowledge of its use. For example, the DM might ask you to make a Dexterity check to carve a fine detail with your woodcarver’s tools, or a Strength check to make something out of particularly hard wood.
And when you look at wodcarvers tools in 2014, they have a simple description:
These special tools include the items needed to pursue a craft or trade. Proficiency with a set of artisan's tools lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make using the tools in your craft. Each type of artisan's tools requires a separate proficiency.
2024 on the otherhand for tools in general specifically calls out they can be utilized fro some tasks as follows:
A tool helps you make specialized ability checks, craft certain items, or both. A tool’s description includes the tool’s cost and weight, as well as the following entries:
Ability. This entry lists the ability to use when making an ability check with the tool.
Utilize. This entry lists things you can do with the tool when you take the Utilize action. You can do one of those things each time you take the action. This entry also provides the DC for the action.
And now when I look at woodcarver's tools there is no longer the option to use it for str checks, only dex.
I see this as an alternative and so options would be....
Open a crate that has been nailed shut. DC 20
- crowbar STR check with advantage - carpenters tools STR check (and if you are proficient - with advantage) - bare hands STR check
STR check is simple if we use ability and skill synonymously - there is on one STR check (Athletics), so I am good with that.
And for other tools, when it calls out an ability score as a DM I can advise what the skill used is, but in some cases it looks like we are told (ex lock tells you it is thieves tools + sleight of hand)
IMO, you could have used carpenter's tools in the past anyway, however I agree I would just pick up the items (hammer, spikes and crowbar).
I believe this is because they tied tools into the character creation and gave everyone at least a tool prificiency with their origin feat
As for better with the tools, when some items specifically call out a tool needed:
A Lock comes with a key. Without the key, a creature can use Thieves’ Tools to pick this Lock with a successful DC 15 Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check.
I was trying to be very specific about this.
Yes, in some cases I can see someone working hard to pull the lid off a nailed coffin with their bare hands and eventually succeeding, and in other cases like picking a lock... you need the Tools.
That is why I also mentioned in this case the item specified it. I was trying to get to a good place with lock picking and also references the use of other tools to help my case... and it looks like I brought us down a hole.
Does anyone know of a tool I can use to get out of it?
Not completely true. There are some tools, such as Carpenter Tools and Blacksmithing Tools, that don't really have any skill as a primary source of proficiency. They might have a skill in specific situations (e.g., Investigation if a character is inspecting a weapon), but for the most part they can only benefit from a Proficiency Bonus if the user is proficient in the tool.
That is not the case in the overall thread here (Sleight of Hand with Thieves Tools), but it is possible for the situation to occur.
Is there any specific example of a Carpenter or Smith Tool test in the rules anywhere? Honestly, both of these feel like things that give you abilities (to craft) rather than requiring checks.
The general listed utilize action for those tools... can be done (and better!) without those tools. (And not even necessarily DC20). Sealing a door is just a utilize action with a spike and a hammer, no test required. Prying open a container is a task for a crowbar, not a specialized set of artisans tools. (Disassembling the container instead is probably a sleight of hand check at best). Opening a sealed or stuck door is what a portable ram is for.
None of those things are what carpenter's or smith's tools should be used for.
After reading all these entries I'm more confused than before. Are we settled on "tool proficiency" and "relevant skill proficiency/expertise" combine for proficiency/expertise plus advantage? That's how I read it. Basically your highest level of proficiency and advantage for investing in both tool and skill?
That is what the rules actually say, yes.
pronouns: he/she/they
The reason I chimed in at all is that 2014 and 2024 rules are different.
2014 there is no ability applied to a tool and an example given is specifically for woodcarver's tools:
Tool use is not tied to a single ability, since proficiency with a tool represents broader knowledge of its use. For example, the DM might ask you to make a Dexterity check to carve a fine detail with your woodcarver’s tools, or a Strength check to make something out of particularly hard wood.
And when you look at wodcarvers tools in 2014, they have a simple description:
These special tools include the items needed to pursue a craft or trade. Proficiency with a set of artisan's tools lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make using the tools in your craft. Each type of artisan's tools requires a separate proficiency.
2024 on the otherhand for tools in general specifically calls out they can be utilized fro some tasks as follows:
A tool helps you make specialized ability checks, craft certain items, or both. A tool’s description includes the tool’s cost and weight, as well as the following entries:
Ability. This entry lists the ability to use when making an ability check with the tool.
Utilize. This entry lists things you can do with the tool when you take the Utilize action. You can do one of those things each time you take the action. This entry also provides the DC for the action.
And now when I look at woodcarver's tools there is no longer the option to use it for str checks, only dex.
Woodcarver’s Tools (1 GP)
Ability: Dexterity Weight: 5 lb.
Utilize: Carve a pattern in wood (DC 10)
Craft: Club, Greatclub, Quarterstaff, Ranged weapons (except Pistol, Musket, and Sling), Arcane Focus, Arrows, Bolts, Druidic Focus, Ink Pen, Needles
So I agree, you can use a crowbar (gives advantage) or hammer and spikes (I can't find a check for this so automatic?)
But if you lack those and have Carpenter's Tools, you can do the following:
Carpenter’s Tools (8 GP)
Ability: Strength Weight: 6 lb.
Utilize: Seal or pry open a door or container (DC 20)
Craft: Club, Greatclub, Quarterstaff, Barrel, Chest, Ladder, Pole, Portable Ram, Torch
I see this as an alternative and so options would be....
Open a crate that has been nailed shut. DC 20
- crowbar STR check with advantage
- carpenters tools STR check (and if you are proficient - with advantage)
- bare hands STR check
STR check is simple if we use ability and skill synonymously - there is on one STR check (Athletics), so I am good with that.
And for other tools, when it calls out an ability score as a DM I can advise what the skill used is, but in some cases it looks like we are told (ex lock tells you it is thieves tools + sleight of hand)
IMO, you could have used carpenter's tools in the past anyway, however I agree I would just pick up the items (hammer, spikes and crowbar).
I believe this is because they tied tools into the character creation and gave everyone at least a tool prificiency with their origin feat
As for better with the tools, when some items specifically call out a tool needed:
Lock (10 GP)
A Lock comes with a key. Without the key, a creature can use Thieves’ Tools to pick this Lock with a successful DC 15 Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check.
I was trying to be very specific about this.
Yes, in some cases I can see someone working hard to pull the lid off a nailed coffin with their bare hands and eventually succeeding, and in other cases like picking a lock... you need the Tools.
That is why I also mentioned in this case the item specified it. I was trying to get to a good place with lock picking and also references the use of other tools to help my case... and it looks like I brought us down a hole.
Does anyone know of a tool I can use to get out of it?
:)
Xanathar’s Guide to Everything (Tool Descriptions, p. 78) had some skills suggested for different tools.